Fuel Bladers

Drewswb

Asked this question the other day why do people still use Jerry cans ?bladders squish flat empty and can be shoved into any available space then filled. Maybe people just stick to what they know

typhoeus

i think people have a mistrust of anything that flexible being easy to puncture, but vibration can cause jerrys to leak too. Back in the '80s I drove from mt isa to adelaide via broken hill with a trailer. when I got to adelaide to my mums place i could smell petrol. on investgating a jerry had worn a hole in the bottom and leaked fuel right thru everything in the trailer. all our clothes, even the Chrissy presents, everything stank of petrol. even washing all the clothes didnt get rid of it for a few washes. Now of course i have some rubber mat under them to soak the vibration, and despite my bad experience, i still prefer a metal jerry than plastic ones or bladders. i figure a metal jerry is pretty fire resistant and only likely to get a small hole while the others can rip , tear and melt

Drewswb

If we were to go away somewhere remote Mine will be on the roof rack under everything ( and drained the first chance I get ) then its tighten up the straps and forget about it. Ive seen these things take abuse that would destroy a jerry can and survive

cam04

I’d buy a bladder if my 1980’s Canadian plastic Jerry’s ever broke. Looks like I’ll be saving my money though. I do have a 20 yo 70l flexitank that doesn’t get used a heap anymore. Still works when I need it though.

Asked this question the other day why do people still use Jerry cans ?bladders squish flat empty and can be shoved into any available space then filled. Maybe people just stick to what they know
I bought 2 x 30 litre bladders from Qld about 3 years ago, for remote travel.
Prior to my trip, about 3 weeks out, I filled them (& let excess air out) with 28 titres of Unleaded (advertised it was suitable for this fuel type) & left them sitting in the shade, beside each other, in the centre of an old 4x4 tyre
When I inspected them about a week out from leaving, one had split down a seam & lost about 1/2 the fuel, the other had a weep coming from a seam..... needless to say they were emptied & thrown in the bin
Before this experience, was always a Jerry man ......That's why I use steel Jerry cans

Cheers
Mulga

Drewswb

I bought 2 x 30 litre bladders from Qld about 3 years ago, for remote travel.
Prior to my trip, about 3 weeks out, I filled them (& let excess air out) with 28 titres of Unleaded (advertised it was suitable for this fuel type) & left them sitting in the shade, beside each other, in the centre of an old 4x4 tyre
When I inspected them about a week out from leaving, one had split down a seam & lost about 1/2 the fuel, the other had a weep coming from a seam..... needless to say they were emptied & thrown in the bin
Before this experience, was always a Jerry man ......That's why I use steel Jerry cans

Cheers
Mulga
Mine are "acquired" Rubber ones (they were shiny and unattended ) think they are for AV gas haven't had a drama or seen a drama with them. What where they made from ?