Change background image

Front recovery point with no bullbar

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by SlimTim, Dec 6, 2018 at 8:11 AM.

1. SlimTim

SlimTim Member

Hi all,

Can you install front recovery points without a bullbar?

I'm finding it hard to find someone who sells/manufactures front recovery points that can be intalled without a bullbar which, looking at the car, seems logical I just hadn't thought about it much.

It appears that if I were to intall front recovery points of my 2015 colorado (with no bar) any recovery would likley damage or remove the front bumper.

What are my options for safe recoveries without installing a front bar?

Cheers,
    Tim.

2. REDDOG IAIN

REDDOG IAIN New Member

Yes Tim, just depends if you have the holes in the chassis in the right place, you don't mention what type of car though, which would be a big help.

3. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

For most vehicles there are aftermarket recovery points (plates) that bolt to a chassis.
    You can get rated hooks (with keepers) too, but the most important thing is ensure where they are bolted to is sound, tie down hole nutsert type mounting could rip out if not solid.

Mine have been tested many times individually and with bridle (equalising) strap, which greatly reduces stresses on heavier snatches etc.
    Mostly though mine are for gentle sand type recoveries, I have the rear hitch recovery point to help others in greater difficulty.

frt_recovery_aftermarket_hook.jpg

frt_recovery_factory_hook.jpg

4. SlimTim

SlimTim Member

Hi @REDDOG IAIN

It's a 2015 Holden Colorado.

How would I know if there are the correct holes in the chassis?

Thanks.
    Tim.

5. SlimTim

SlimTim Member

Hi Les,

I've rang around (TJM, ARB, Ironman and the like) and they all told me I need a bar. What brand are yours? They look perfect.

Cheers,
    Tim.

6. Les PK Ranger

Solid hook was std on the Ranger.
    The other side had a tie down point, which I replaced with the hook from Super Cheap Australia.

Mine used to work fine with full plastic bumper to fairly low, yours might be different in design . . . mine now has chopped front bar.

7. SlimTim

SlimTim Member

Thanks Les.

I'll call into supercheap and see what options they have.

Cheers,
    Tim.

8. Neddysmith

Neddysmith Active Member

9. Colly18

Colly18 Active Member

I also have pondered over this issue, not really wanting to install a bulbar to my Colorado ute. Apart from the set up cost (bar, winch, new front springs) I rarely drive at night and also think the Colorado looks better with the factory front. The Colorado has a pair of front towing hooks which the manufacturer says can be used for recovery. They are rated at 1500Kg each. I carry a decent chain bridle to link the 2 towing hooks and that gives me 3,000Kg of force that can be applied to the bridle/hooks in a recovery situation. From there it comes down to what method is used in recovery. I figure towing or a light snatch will be fine with a bridle setup. But this definitely won't handle (would be dangerous) with a heavily bogged vehicle and snatch recovery where forces will well exceed 3,000Kg. Then again I don't think it would be wise to use a bull bar on a modern 4WD for such a recovery either(?) So it is out with the shovel and use of towing for recovery for me. :)
    Google search Colorado RG recovery points and you will find aftermarket heavy duty ones. They don't come cheap!

10. Cokedaddy216

Cokedaddy216 Active Member

If it is the same as a dmax ARB make a great recovery point , brother has one on his dmax ;)

11. SlimTim

SlimTim Member

Thanks @Colly18

I also thought about a bridle setup. Perhaps I'm being over-cautious. I figured introducing more steel (rated shackels) into the situation just introduced more danger, though I would only be doing light to very light snatches or recoveries at best. Maybe just a bridle and a set of soft shackles might be my best option.

You say you use a chain as a bridle? Could I use another snatch strap or can you buy shorter bridle straps?

12. SlimTim

SlimTim Member

Has he got a bull bar though? ARB say I need a bull bar.

13. Les PK Ranger

14. SlimTim

SlimTim Member

15. Colly18

Colly18 Active Member

Who can say? Every situation will be different. May depend on how much trouble you get into, condition of recovery equipment, skill of recovery vehicle driver, etc. Did you check out this discussion?
    https://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?threads/front-recovery-points.39762/

SlimTim likes this.
  16. Les PK Ranger

Not so much off tie down points, but you might mean new hooks / other bolted to their holes ??
    I would seriously check out the nuts in the chassis, if like mine they are solid and reinforced, you should be able to trust them for light work.

All those aftermarket recovery brackets (Roadsafe etc, and btw check out SCA pricing on those too) have multiple holes and angle reinforcing pieces with bolt holes for a reason, to spread a load offer multiple support surfaces and holes.

As mentioned, should be ok for many recovery situations @SlimTim . . . light gentle snatching in sand, but as said, a lot has to do with BOTH drivers.

The recoverer doing the snatching should take it easy and work up if needed, not bull at a gate first go.
    The recoveree should be ready (communication with recoverer over UHF) and coming into drive in 4wd low 2 as the snatch comes on, not deadweight getting pulled out.

Bogs to the axles in sand requires a lot of shovel work first, perhaps using maxtrax or treds as well as snatch.
    Deep sucking mud, well you're FAR better off getting winched out, even from the back with a towbar recovery hitch fitted, nice and gentle, still a lot of shovel work to do.

17. SlimTim

SlimTim Member

Thanks Les.

I can only imagine light recoveries. I'm usually hyper-cautious with this stuff... borderline paranoid, and as it has to do with the skill of the driver(s) we can be certain, in my case, that is at the lower end of the scale.

Even still the links provided to me for the recovery points from SCA or the ones from ebay say they can be fitted with a factory bar so I think I'll opt for those.

I think it's better to be safe then sorry (or dead... or stuck for an extended period of time with the wife and kids losing it ;)).

Les PK Ranger likes this.
  18. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do anything off tie down points. If the manual lists them as tow points with a kg rating then fine At least you have a guide tp their strength.

19. SlimTim

SlimTim Member

Hi Mike,

I'm pretty sure the manual states they are tow, or maybe even recovery, points with a rating of 1500kg.

I'll check this arvo, but think I'll go with SCA or ebay anyway.

Cheers,

20. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

Most makers only call them tow points, probably for legal reasons. Everyone recovers off towbars and they are rated around 3000kgs +/- on most cars.