front hub seals

NIAL8R

Hi all im back in business again bought myself another ln106r 97" hilux and I need to do the front hub / ball seals. Im not scared to get my hands dirty and pretty well machanicly minded but would like to know if it is a pretty straight forward job. Roughly how long should it take to do. Thanks in advanced.

Regards
Lee

Aaron Schubert

Yeah, you should find heaps of photos on google images, as well as video's on youtube. If you are stripping the whole lot down, you should do the axle seals, swivel hubs, wheel bearings and CV's.

I'd say about 3 hours per side if you are very efficient on the tools, and probably a bit longer if you aren't

Lots of paper towel is a must!

Aaron

tankbloke

4x4 Earth Contributer
Gidday Lee, welcome back.:)
Reckon Aaron is pretty close to the mark, took me closer to eight hours, but I am a DIY battler, pretty sure a bloke that can do up a Torana like you have, would knock it out in half a day.

muc the truck

Hi all im back in business again bought myself another ln106r 97" hilux and I need to do the front hub / ball seals. Im not scared to get my hands dirty and pretty well machanicly minded but would like to know if it is a pretty straight forward job. Roughly how long should it take to do. Thanks in advanced.

Regards
Lee

its a easy job and needs to be dummy assembled with out grease to get shimming bearings correct with out getting grease up arm pits .

There is a critical error many mechanics still make with Toyota hubs.
Some people just tighten loos studs in a greasy thread but they come loose again.

What is required is for the hub to be removed, cleaned in a parts washer or degreased with BRAKE CLEANER . so all threads are bone dry. All studs need to be replaced with as pictured by Toyota and Loctite added and torqued in . Toyota had to recall all hub work in Northern territory due to hubs coming loose on corrugations , end result loosing a wheel or coming so loose it was a tilt truck job home.
https://www.atocauto.com.au/ProdImages/Giant/KTSHSTUD.jpg

http://www.snakeracing.com.au/trail-gear/steering/140171-1.jpg