Front end work needed? Why?

Matt131

Hey guys, got some new muddys on my cruiser and was looking to get a wheel alignment too but the boys down at beaurepairs said they couldn’t do it becasue “the front end needs work”?. I had a look when I got home at this and the only thing I can see that is bent that I feel like shouldn’t be is this. The bar going across connecting one tyre to the other or connecting something near the tyres. I searched this up and all I could find is that it could be the steering collum shaft? But then again there’s so many different rods on there and I don’t really know what’s what. Just wondering if anyone knows.
Cheers, Matt

Attachments

• DF008A24-F0C2-402F-AB03-CC10F1A9EFDF.jpeg
    DF008A24-F0C2-402F-AB03-CC10F1A9EFDF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
  • 2BF14E75-3A27-494E-AAB3-72A16F85B3A6.jpeg
    2BF14E75-3A27-494E-AAB3-72A16F85B3A6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 74

discomatt

That is very bent, the rear arm in the pic is what holds the diff in place and stops it floating left and right, its meant to have that bend, the front rod is the one that should be straight, it connects the hubs together so when you turn the wheels they both turn at the same rate to the left or right.
It would be impossible to do a wheel alignment with that bend

Colly18

Steering tie rod. Easy fix i.m.o. I'd pick up a new heavy duty tie rod (they are not expensive). Fit it and do the best you can to get the wheels straight/aligned (research/google setting Landcruiser toe in/out). Then take it back to the wheel alignment guys to get it fine tuned.

This may be of some interest (I'm assuming although the model prior to yours, principles will be the same)?

Last edited:

Outrage

4x4 Earth Contributer
Double check the name of the arm before you buy the replacement too. People tend to interchange the names, but below picture is the typical terms. Picture is a Patrol, but very similar arrangement to a Land Cruiser.

Given your drag link is so bent, it is also possible your tie rod (or at least the tie rod ends) are also bent,

You can typically pick up heavy duty tie rods / drag links for around $250 each. You can spend more for stronger ones again, but they are mainly meant for competition style 4wding.

It's also possible the bushes on your panhard rod and radius arms are worn out, which would also contribute to wheel alignment issues.

1639447489858.png

Colly18

Double check the name of the arm before you buy the replacement too. People tend to interchange the names.............., .
Thanks for the correction and the education. I didn't even notice the bent rod was connected to the steering (I need stronger specs :)). Something certainly got a good knock!

Matt131

Too easy cheers for the help boys, at least now I know a bit more about what I’m looking at and what needs fixing. Can always count on yas in this forum.

discomatt

Easy for some, I am lucky or unlucky depending on perspective to have spent 13 years working on cars for a living and another 15 playing with 4wds

shanegtr

Besides the obvious bent drag link - did they give any further details to you on what "the front end needs work" is? On the solid axle front the caster is fixed from the radius arm bushings so can't be altered without using offset bushes - so if the bushes are in good condition then there's nothing to be done there. Camber is also set from the kingpin bearings - so also nothing can be changed there (they can be tweaked with offset bearing mounts a little). Again is the bearing condition is fine then theres generally nothing further to be done there. The only real adjustability is toe from the drag link and relay rod.