Front Diff main gasket

Earlz

Hi all,
My front diff is leaking from the gasket where the carrier meets the housing.

Just wondering if it is possible to loosen the all the nuts around the centre, slide it out 10mm or so to clean out the old gasket and reseal with a liquid gasket?
Whats your thoughts?

Nathan

muc the truck

bucklies chance. axles have to come out so may as well budjet for a swivel hub rebuild as well.
Are the bolts tight?

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
Haha I just did exactly that few weeks back. Sorted out my leak. You will be struggling to get 10mm, 5-8mm but its worth a try. You have nothing to lose. I intend to fix mine properly when I have a little more time!

Earlz

bucklies chance. axles have to come out so may as well budjet for a swivel hub rebuild as well.
Are the bolts tight?
What do you mean are the bolts tight? I havent touched it yet if thats what you mean.
Cant afford a swivel hub rebuild at this point so I might just have to change the oil (its filthy) and deal with it another time.
OR try that method which Gavo had success with as a short term fix. I am trying to get the truck ready for a big trip at the end of the month so there are heaps of other costs that are blowing the budget.

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
If your bolts have worked loose that will cause a leak. Small chance you can just tighten bolts and leak will stop.

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yup! Know the feeling. Just had a good look my sealant hasn't worked 100% but it's gone from a mess on drive way to few drops here and there. It was a rear diff on a hilux.

muc the truck

you may have beter luck at this temporary repair if you empty a can of brake clean in the gap prior to using silicon . problem is ??? were does some of gasket go.
yes right inside the diff housing ading fibre to the oil.

Earlz

I have decided to just change the oil for now and deal with it properly when I get back. I will carry some oil with me just in case. In reality, it looks bad because there is a lot of oil on the diff but it only really drips a couple of drops overnight.

Basejj

With the oil drained u can sylicone around the diff to seal it as a temp I've done that b4 but to replace gasket ull need to jack the car up remove wheels slide the axles out a bit remove drive shaft then u cam remove the diff to get to the gasket, done it twice and yeah it's a pain

muc the truck

I have decided to just change the oil for now and deal with it properly when I get back. I will carry some oil with me just in case. In reality, it looks bad because there is a lot of oil on the diff but it only really drips a couple of drops overnight.
try some morreys or lucas oil stabiliser it thickens the oil when cold