Front diff LSD or Auto Locker

Guys

Can an LSD be used in a front diff like and Auto Locker, I get varied answers depending on who
I talk too, $900 for a locker is a bit out of my reach

Regards

Rosco

Biesel

Yes depends on what car you have and if a company makes a LSD for the front diff. Auto lockers aren't really LSD though they are a locking type diff.

rob_macca67

Auto Lockers can vary in price. I bought mine for my Suzuki for about $300 if I remember correctly. The bigger cars might be a bit more but if u look on the US websites, u might get it cheaper buying it overseas. I've got a autolocker in the front of my Zook which works really well but I also have free wheeling hubs which I think is a must if u want to run a autolocker in the front

discomatt

Yes LSD can be installed in the front, I put a Eaton True trac in the rear and it transformed the car on and off road so I took a gamble and put one in the front as well. Works well off road unless I am on the toughest of tracks and then they are not as good as a locker but way better than a open diff, on road you don't even notice it in the front unless under hard acceleration around corners and it wants to pull straight ahead, it also made the steering slightly heavier but hardly noticeable.
Also keep in mind my Disco is constant 4wd and I have no free wheeling hubs

It is a 92 ST30 Patrol, I was going to get another rear LSD and install in the front. Yes know how they work and if I had the spare cash I would go locker, just has to be on the cheap and this is the most cost effective way at the moment.
Thanks all I now need to find one.

Terry Kipping

It is a 92 ST30 Patrol, I was going to get another rear LSD and install in the front. Yes know how they work and if I had the spare cash I would go locker, just has to be on the cheap and this is the most cost effective way at the moment.
Thanks all I now need to find one.
I think you will pay just as much for a Patrol LSD as you will for an auto locker?

Lost1?

From memory GU Patrols have different sized diffs front and rear, not 100% on the GQ though. A torsen style Eaton tru trac lsd would be the diff to get if you are after lsd for the front diff. If you did fit a conventional clutch style lsd it would feel a bit clunky through the steering and probably result in a fair bit of torque steer as it engages/disengages

Last edited: