Freezing the lettuce

Krumpy

I’ve got two takeaways from reading this.
1. Canvas/paper towel/ drying lettuce seems the way to go
2. Seems like this place had quite the pisshead community

LongRoad2Go

As current economics suggest i.e. the cost of lettuce has increased due to floods, energy crisis, war in Ukraine, and bad TV programming ... replace lettuce with cabbage. Like cockroaches, cabbage will survive a nuclear holocaust.

Always wondered if growing lettuce on a trip would work - the type of 'pick and come' again varieties?

Colly18

As current economics suggest i.e. the cost of lettuce has increased due to floods, energy crisis, war in Ukraine, and bad TV programming ... replace lettuce with cabbage. Like cockroaches, cabbage will survive a nuclear holocaust.

Always wondered if growing lettuce on a trip would work - the type of 'pick and come' again varieties?
X2 .... Cabbage every time! :)

Sandyfreckle

Excuse me if someone has already stated this but...., I freeze water bottles during the day when the sun is powering my fridge.., remember you control the thermostat knob so maybe think about taking it back a notch or 2 overnight. Also those blue ice brick thingies also freeze well up against the cold plate. Anyway, then transfer the ice bottles/bricks to the base of a hard plastic cool box(esky) and use that cool box as a crisper for all fruit and veggie storage. All veggies are better placed into tupperware containers with double layer of tissue paper on the base..., especially relevant for leafy greens. Stay fresh bags tend to get squashed where square containers stack well and have many uses. This method works well enough but requires daily(or longer) changeovers or checking. Store the cooler in the coolest part of tent, vehicle, caravan or whatever. This system obviously has time limitations..., it may not work for everyone.., but we reckon we got it working very well for us..., especially considering we go right out into the sticks where we cant go into any town to replenish supplies easily.

Last edited:

Sandyfreckle

X2 .... Cabbage every time! :)
Chinese cabbage - pak choi, bok choi work well as a lettuce replacement as they are not as strong flavoured as normal European cabbage.., quite sweet actually and packed full of goodness etc. They last longer in a cooler also.

Petunia

Chinese cabbage - pak choi, bok choi work well as a lettuce replacement as they are not as strong flavoured as normal European cabbage.., quite sweet actually and packed full of goodness etc. They last longer in a cooler also.
did anyone observe that while Cold Shoulder and Lettuce alone went to 10 Shekels, cabbage last week was 5 to 6 Shekels.

If you want Lettuce >>>>> Ronald has plenty on a BigMac.

Life without a wife = 6weeks to 6month without Lettuce AND Cold Shoulder :D