Freezing the lettuce

Split pin

Can anyone tell me the best way to store the lettuce for camping? The wife forever winging at me for freezing the lettuce, does it really need to go in the fridge??:confused::confused::confused:

frosty

Can anyone tell me the best way to store the lettuce for camping? The wife forever winging at me for freezing the lettuce, does it really need to go in the fridge??:confused::confused::confused:

One of lifes great mystery's!! It's got me buggered, I do the same??:mad:

olcoolone

We buy lettuces in the plastic bags that are pre sealed, all our fruit and veg gets rapped separately and stored in a coolish place in wax banana boxes (the ones with the holes in them).

rodw

Put lettuce on the don't take again list so you have more room for beer. :D:D:D

Consider taking sprouts instead as they take up a lot less room was my thought after freezing lettuce several times.

frosty

I'm going to try breaking the lettuce up and puting snap lock bags next time. I've thought about the prepackaged bags, but they take up WAY to much beer space for bugger all lettuce!!

stressless

4x4 Earth Contributer

My wife broke it up, wrapped in paper towel then put it in snaplock bag and put in esky.

rodw

I'm going to try breaking the lettuce up and puting snap lock bags next time. I've thought about the prepackaged bags, but they take up WAY to much beer space for bugger all lettuce!!

You can also get special stay fresh bags for storing fruit and veg. This was originally used to keep fruit fresh when being exported overseas . I saw somein th esupermarket th eother day and grabbed thme for this purpose but I have yet to try it.

OGJON

simple snap lock bags & pack it in the fridge last right on top

but my wife & I only usually take frozen vegies & sanitarium tin foods(we're vegetarian) so never have the problem of fresh fruits & veg

centaur

I agree why take lettuce, takes up too much space. Plus, that crap is for rabbits anyway... :D:D:D

Leave the lettuce at home, take more beer (or scotch), drink it all then it wont matter about the damn lettuce.... :rolleyes::rolleyes:;):D

Deceptacon Suby

Rabbit food

Apart form the fact lettuce takes up way too much space, it has zilch nutritional value except for a little bit of water. However, if you replace the lettuce with your favourite beverage (alcoholic or not) i'm sure it has enough water content to make up for what's in the lettuce

tankbloke

4x4 Earth Contributer
Take a mate

Take a mate with his esky or your missus and wilted lettuce,I reckon
it is line ball for aggravation but I would probably go for the former.

Split pin

okay thank you all for your valued advise. now its time to tell the wife that the lettuce stays home and we take more amber beverages!!:):):):):)

Muckinhell

we have started just puttin the lettuce on the top of the fridge as one of the last items in there and seems to work but i do like the sprouts idea to save room for more refreshments..

croozza

Apart form the fact lettuce takes up way too much space, it has zilch nutritional value except for a little bit of water. However, if you replace the lettuce with your favourite beverage (alcoholic or not) i'm sure it has enough water content to make up for what's in the lettuce

Not true about the nutritional value, you can also brake/flatten the lettuce down into just the leaves as this uses up much less space. BUT who takes lettuce away with them, take the alc instead.

bludnut

this is what we do. broken up into leaves and sealed in bags, slightly damp, and it'll keep for ages in the fridge.:)

cheers

KiaSor

When lettuce freezes - as it usually does - throw it into a stir fry dinner as it makes a great green chinese veg addition to any asian dish and it tastes great. Eg.... seseme seed oil,sliced chicken, onion, garlic, soy or oyster sauce --cook on high and add lettuce at the last minute cooking on high to evaporate some of the excess liquid from the lettuce. Serve on rice with sliced almonds sprinkled on top for a great dish. Enjoy

Davidman

4x4 Earth Contributer
Throw it into a stir fry dinner :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ( Your meal idea does sound good though )

Prefer not to take it in the first place and have the space taken up with the beers :):):)

RmD1978

This is obviously a very old tread. But I've been meaning to comment on this for a few years. Put it in one of the Coles canvas bags that are about $1. Never had a problem since.

Attachments

• 16559699484712503193933164359223.jpg
    16559699484712503193933164359223.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 7