FREEDOM of SPEECH

Status
Not open for further replies.

shovelboy

IiM GOING TO PUT SOMETHING HERE NOT SURE HOW LONG IT WILL LAST BUT HERE GOES.........

IT SEEMS THAT SOME OF THE MEN ON THIS SITE HATE IT WHEN A WOMAN TRIES TO HAVE HER SAY ABOUT SOMETHING AND GETS SHOT DOWN WHEN SHE DOES .
I THINK ANY PERSON WHEATHER IT BE MALE OR FEMALE NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK FREELY AND NOT GET RIDICULED FOR IT AND COS SHE HAS BEEN TREATED THIS WAY I BELIEVE WE HAVE LOST A GOOD PERSON FROM THIS SITE AND IM SURE OTHERS WILL GET THE SH!TS UP AND DO THE SAME IF THEY GET SHOT DOWN WHEN TRYING TO PUT THERE OPINION OUT THERE , AND I HAVE BEEN RIDICULED ABOUT A FEW THINGS THAT I HAVE SAID WHEN I KNOW THEY WERE RIGHT BUT OTHERS THINK THEY NO EVEYTHING AND ANYTHING OF VEHICLES AND 4WDRIVING

WELL THATS MY SAY SO HAVE FUN WITH THIS POST AND SEE WHAT RESPONSE I GET

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
I guess at the end of the day everyone will get their opinion and say as long as it is tactful. No one likes a smart arse so anyone reading this just needs to think about what they are saying before they type it. Ultimately the forum is all about personal opinion so if someone disagrees with you - take it on the chin. Don't start a war because you think your right and everyone else is wrong. Wasn't it Kenny Rogers that said "turn the other cheek"?

Grumpy

I hope that all people on this or any forum have the right to freedom of speech and it's a pity some of us see comments as a personal attack on them, everyone be it male, female, philosopher or idiot has a right to have their say, so let's all take a step backwards and Relax a little.

Grey Ghost

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
sorry to hear about this one Shovelboy.I don't get it when someone thinks their opinion is more valid than others. As with a lot of things in life, you have your opinion and I have mine, lets agree to disagree and give equal weight to each one. If we were all the same, GEEZ IT WOULD BE BORING (coz we'd all agree with me LOL) so if someone has a different idea to you, appriciate it and DON'T try to tell them they are wrong or insinuate that they are wrong (or less right) and realize that this is a public forum where different ideas are discussed to achieve the same ends (like the enjoyment of 4wding generally).

Just my 2.35 cents worth anyway......

Jarh73

Maybe those with stronger opinions should always qualify their opinions with:

In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

OR

As Far As I Know (AFAIK)

That might help people to understand that someone is not stating a fact or deliberately making a generalization its just the opinion they have based on the knowledge/ experience they have had.

I personally like to start or end an opinion with:

"I'm happy to stand corrected"

Cheers

Justin

kiwijaz

Yes everyone should be intilted to there own opinion and being so many people on this site we get different sence of humours and different ways of putting things. This is a prob with written sites it can be very easily taken out of context or takin the wrong way. As mark said if you dont like some ones opinion just take it on the chin and keep going, I really dont think it has anything to do with the Male v Female thing otherwise people like Lee, Nat, KT, Mel and BWG wouldnt still be on here. And yes i think people should think about how they are going to say something before they type it and no matter what you can never keep everyone happy thats just life.

Thats all just my opinion anyway anyone can agree or disagree it really doesnt bother me.

Walkabout

In every barrel of apples there is sure to be the odd bad one, this however should not mean you stop eating apples. I would think the greater majority on here would welcome a womans opinion, are not sexist in any way and choose not to belittle anyone for their opinion.
One of the things I love about this forum is we have a unique combination of people who are helpfull and have a wealth of knowledge to share with others, plus in general the forum is exempt from the childish games and clicks you may experience elsewhere.

A few things I have learnt over many years of being involved with online forums are:
- Just like being in a crowded room of people you will not get along or connect with everyone, so just be polite to people or as said above choose not to comment and turn the other cheek.
- There is "no tone in text", the way you interperate what others have said may not include the same meaning as the way the author intended it.
- dont get involved with online arguments, just say PFFT and move on.
- if someone is personally attacking you resist the urge to respond and just ignore the comment, if you feel the need to respond just be impartial and respond politely.. chances are the person harassing you will be seen for what they are by the rest of the community.

Just my 2c :eek:;)

Last edited:

BUSHNUT

Agree with you totally and can fully understand you going into bat for someone you have a close association with . I guess you are referring to the mudpuddlers thread that in a state of tatters at the moment . I didn't get to see the posts before they were deleted as quite frankly playing in the mud is not my thing and so the thread was of no interest to me, so I can't give an opinion as to who threw the first turd into the water, but it takes at least 2 to have a fight .

Unfortunately, yes we have lost a couple of forum members through a difference of opinion on their part - the trouble is that they didn't beg to differ but by the sounds of it got very personal . This has happened before and most likely happen again - sad but true .

I think the golden rule is if you can't say something nice then don't bother saying it at all . Once it gets personal both parties more often than not start to look ridiculous - look at what we are talking about , two people who don't know each other from a bar of soap going to war over what was originally a fairly harmless topic .

Me, I'm a lover not a fighter , but my wife would say , only in my imagination !
I'm an not without sin, I can stir the possum occasionally .

life is too short for some of this Cr#p !

Last edited:

Ekki Adventurers

4x4 Earth Contributer
Speaking as a women who has been on this site for a while now I can honestly say I don't think I have been ridiculed for being female. :rolleyes: For being a South Aussie - yes, :eek: but never for being female. ;)

If I'm worried about anything I type I use the smileys to try and relay intent - and besides they look good. :D :D :D :D :D

goldrush

This sort of thing is not new to this forum.....or any other forum for that matter. People need to stop taking themselves so seriously and just enjoy this forum for what it is....A place to talk about common interests with people from all walks of life. I have in the past had to intervene when things got too heated and we even came very close to losing a very active and well liked member of the site due to this sort of sh!t. I have never seen anyone belittle another member on the basis of being a woman. To all involved in the latest skirmish I would suggest a short break from the forum until you calm down.
To everyone.....Think before you type, Read your post before you submit it, Don't post while you're angry and most importantly Respect others opinions.

knot_gillty

Whole heartedly agree with the Golden One! I can see where you're coming from Shovelboy. As the others have said i don't think anyone has been ridiculed on here for being a chick.

Ekki, the reason we can't pick on you for be female is we don't know if it's you or the Wookie typing......:rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

I like smilies too.:D:D:D:eek::p:cool::rolleyes:

phs

IiM GOING TO PUT SOMETHING HERE NOT SURE HOW LONG IT WILL LAST BUT HERE GOES.........

IT SEEMS THAT SOME OF THE MEN ON THIS SITE HATE IT WHEN A WOMAN TRIES TO HAVE HER SAY ABOUT SOMETHING AND GETS SHOT DOWN WHEN SHE DOES .
I THINK ANY PERSON WHEATHER IT BE MALE OR FEMALE NEEDS TO BE ABLE TO SPEAK FREELY AND NOT GET RIDICULED FOR IT AND COS SHE HAS BEEN TREATED THIS WAY I BELIEVE WE HAVE LOST A GOOD PERSON FROM THIS SITE AND IM SURE OTHERS WILL GET THE SH!TS UP AND DO THE SAME IF THEY GET SHOT DOWN WHEN TRYING TO PUT THERE OPINION OUT THERE , AND I HAVE BEEN RIDICULED ABOUT A FEW THINGS THAT I HAVE SAID WHEN I KNOW THEY WERE RIGHT BUT OTHERS THINK THEY NO EVEYTHING AND ANYTHING OF VEHICLES AND 4WDRIVING

WELL THATS MY SAY SO HAVE FUN WITH THIS POST AND SEE WHAT RESPONSE I GET

you clearly are talking about the mud thread, if you read the whole thing befor it got deleted you will see me + a few others where only stating our opioions about the discussion and some one could not accept that? this whole male female thing is a croc i dont care what sex the person behind the keyboard was only trying to explain im OVER MUD (thats ME, NOT YOU NOT ANY ONE ELS) then getting called a soft 4x4er so on so fourth.

i dont even care this whole thing has been blown out for nothing, she decided to leave well thats her choice,, i think if any one read the whole thread like i did from scratch, its plain and simple, we said our bit and some people couldnt handle it.

time to grow up and get over it.

its a forum people say there bit, only 1 person took it to heart and started attacking.
i feel sorry for croozer and allanmac who are copping it for nothing, i dont know them from a bar of soap but it was not there fualt at all....

if people find it easyer to blam me croozer and allanmac go for it..
its only a forum ill get over it /.:)

ChallengeLee

WARNING.....war and p**s response!!!

My honest opinion on the men versus women thing is that it's a crock of shit...l get treated no differently than any other member of this forum and those that do know that l'm a women have never treated me with any disrespect and once those that have been unaware have realised l have never given them any reason to disrespect me. I work hard to be a member of this forum as an equal and l know that that would be the same for the few other women that are on this site also.

I am after all in a male dominated past time, therefore l fit in with you guys and l have earned the respect of those that l call mates because l take pride in what l have achieved and how capable l am at 4wdriving, and when l post it is never with any disrespect to others.

Yes l do have many opinions on topics and people on the site but it is my choice as to whether l expresss them and l am quite accepting of what ever consequences that follow. You have to, you have put it out there for all to see. But often times l never get riled enough about a subject or person to feel the need to express my opinion onto others..doesn't mean l don't think them.

Really is the forum a place worth getting stressed and uptight about?? It is an outlet for something that we all love with a passion and for sharing, thoughts, ideas, opinions and a little bit of banter and frivolity amongst like minded people...it just makes me shake my head when it all comes to where we are at with the recent thread.

What we must remember is that what we put out there for all to see and l mean ALL to see, reflects on the site and for a newbie...first impressions and reactions to posts are what either keeps them or sends them off to other sites...think about that before you post that tirade of angst and make it personal about another...thats what we have private messaging for and why we have moderators and Admin...and yes l realise that rational thoughts don't always come into play when we are hurt and angry but a little self moderation needs to be taken into account.

In saying all that, what ever happens at the end of the day...whether people chose to take to heart what has been said and done and choose to leave this forum, than so be it...your ultimate choice but remember, once upon a time it was also your choice to be here.

Just my thoughts and opinions and yes it was one of the few threads that l felt l had good reason to respond...peace all...lifes too short to let the crap take over.

4X4

Excellent reply Lee, you have summed it up nicely. Forums allow us anonymity, and to that end, I don't care if your male or female, it's your response as a member that I care about.

As a moderator, I have gone back through the thread in question, in it's entirety ( deleted posts included) and there was never any suggestion, implied or inferred, that a reply was not valid based on the fact that someone was female.

Cheers Rossco

Status
Not open for further replies.