Free car travel on the Spirit of Tasmania

Triton14

I went to visit my Aunt in Tassie years ago just after winter & put my car on SOT for free or as part of the ticket fair which was just crew cabin class(cheapest).

Sounds like a bit of an extension here in the off peak, as per any travel atm I wouldnt be booking it to far in advance but its good to know its there :)

Man I have to say that was one rough ride to!!

I remember it well, I woke in the middle of the night to the sound of someone spewing just a a few rows away in their seat which I just chuckled & went back to sleep, in the morning all the toilet & hand basins were full of chunder & the smell right through the ship as we pulled into the calm waters of Devonport.

The sea was that rough they locked all the deck doors & the waves were crashing over ther bow & side rails of the ship.

Yep I remember that well, good thing I have a strong stomach, didnt spill a drop myself;)

I can only imagine what its like on one of those small yatchs crossing the strait!!

Last edited:

Noel Preston

I went to visit my Aunt in Tassie years ago just after winter & put my car on SOT for free or as part of the ticket fair which was just crew cabin class(cheapest).

Sounds like a bit of an extension here in the off peak, as per any travel atm I wouldnt be booking it to far in advance but its good to know its there :)

Man I have to say that was one rough ride to!!

I remember it well, I woke in the middle of the night to the sound of someone spewing just a a few rows away in their seat which I just chuckled & went back to sleep, in the morning all the toilet & hand basins were full of chunder & the smell right through the ship as we pulled into the calm waters of Devonport.

The sea was that rough they locked all the deck doors & the waves were crashing over ther bow & side rails of the ship.

Yep I remember that well, good thing I have a strong stomach, didnt spill a drop myself;)

I can only imagine what its like on one of those small yatchs crossing the strait!!
I had similar on the way back on one trip. I was sliding in the bunk until my feet hit the end and then slide back until my head hit the other end. I woke at 4.00am and I could hear someone chucking up in the next cabin, after hearing that I joined in the chorus.

mikehzz

I went over with the car on the Devil Cat nearly 20 years ago. The swell was over 6 metres and the trip only took about 7 hours but it was like a circus ride you couldn't get off. There was chunder everywhere which made you sick even if the ride didn't. My wife and I still have fond memories of that one so it's unlikely we'll do any sea voyage to Tassy ever again. :)

Vesko

I went over with the car on the Devil Cat nearly 20 years ago. The swell was over 6 metres and the trip only took about 7 hours but it was like a circus ride you couldn't get off. There was chunder everywhere which made you sick even if the ride didn't. My wife and I still have fond memories of that one so it's unlikely we'll do any sea voyage to Tassy ever again. :)
Well, you can always load the car on the boat and fly to Launceston to get it on the other side. That's what I would do. :cool:

G_ute

I have done many crossings and never seen sick or see anyone spew and been in rough sea's. The current ships are big and dont move around as much as the older ones.
I always go overnight and get a cabin (wife's insistence) so a day is not wasted staring at the ocean.

I would be jumping on the opportunity if I was not already here. Its a big saving but its not clear if only the car/motorbike is free or also the passengers. I doubt a cabin is covered, or any vehicle bigger than car sized.

G_ute

I am not saying its impossible to have a seriously bad crossing, just very unlikely.
I have seen the pictures of the Spirit getting smashed, particularly through th heads at Port Phillip Bay.
Even on a calm day it will rock a little there.

Noel Preston

I would like to know how they intend to get around the Covid restrictions. Drive down from Qld all the way through NSW and then Victoria. Will anybody be greeted with hotel quarantine. Can't travel to Tasmania from Brisbane now. Maybe they are confident Covid will be all gone by March 1.

Albynsw

According to the article it is a saving of about $240 return
Doesn’t sound much, is that how cheap it is to take a vehicle over?

Triton14

Nah first one is clearly a poltergeist .
Yeh could be bad spirits from the 100's if not 1000's of people lost at sea just having fun ;)

The Bass Strait is well documented to be one of the most dangerous & deadliest seas in the world but it only affects "the older ones"

If it was a nice easy crossing then I'm not sure why they strap every vehicle down during the journey?

discomatt

I know a couple that sail, they do the racing thing and transport boats sometimes, 2 years ago they sailed a yacht to Tassie with the very wealthy owner.
They had a great time but she said they would never sail a yatch to Tassie again, Rowan would jump at the opportunity because he is a dedicated nut case

dabbler

FWIW, Last night I compared Oct-Dec 2021 with our trip in 2018. It was about $180 cheaper. For some reason it's one if the cheapest times to travel to Tassie, probably because it's between school hols.

The Spirit website saves trip info and makes if easy to compare sailings. The vary with time if year, day/night sailing and day of week. So if you're flexible you can save a few hundred easily.

Once you tow something you need to commit to a few months or fly drive is way cheaper. Unless you're looking at tracks.

Toyasaurus

I always enjoyed working on the spirit`s when they were in dock in Syd.
Some of the cleanest ship`s I`ve ever worked on.
Unlike the cruise ship`s which were the most disgusting things I`ve ever worked on, but only were the public couldn`t see it.
I remember working on an FFG that had been down in the Southern ocean and hit by a very large wave.
They took green water over the bridge, we had to fix quite a bit of major damage, 15 days in the dock.