Fraser Island question

Deccas

gday guys,
im heading to fraser island in december. im taking my pretty well built 79 series ute and my mate will be taking his stock prado (one of the older ones). my question is how much would he get bogged and what parts are just stupid for him to go?
cheers guys :)

discomatt

if he knows how to drive it and has the correct tyre pressures he will do just as well as you, there is no real hard tuff there, even heading all the way to sandy cape will be ok as long as you watch the tides

Gunna

Been on the island for the last 9 days and seen all types of vehicles doing the beach and tracks.
I've driven most of the island and found it all to be pretty easy, as mentioned earlier tides are the key particularly around the rocks and Eli creek

Deccas

and what camp site do you guys recommend, i thought you would be able to go from camp site to camp site but guess not

mikehzz

Yes it's a pain having to book in advance when you don't really know where you will be at any time. I ended up booking around half way along the island because you can make it to anywhere and back in a day if you have to. I would've liked to have stayed up at Sandy Cape though. I will next time.

BarKer

Fraser was fantastic... But not a 4WDing challenge, which is probably a good thing considering the amount that manage to get themselves bogged to the axles.. With the right driving style and as above tyre pressures he'll be fine...

discomatt

As far as camping, for the first trip there I would suggest anywhere around the half way mark up the island, makes it easy to see everything when you are half way there. Said before say it again, keep the tide chart handy and do not forget to check it!!! Don't drive on the beach at night or dusk as the washout are hard to see and they can be nothing one day and 1m deep the next, I have seen what they do to a car travelling at 60kmh and its not good

vk1dx

if he knows how to drive it and has the correct tyre pressures he will do just as well as you, there is no real hard tuff there, even heading all the way to sandy cape will be ok as long as you watch the tides
Exactly. There were three cars caught by the tide one night when we were there. The driving is easy. I just don't understand how people, with reasonable ground, clearance have trouble. I say clearance only because the inland tracks can have deep wheel ruts and the toys (read little yuppy awd SUVs) get hung up on them.

Phil

Tornado ALIVE

How is Waddy Point for a base camp? Not too far North to cover most of the island. We are heading up in April next year and have booked the full 2 weeks at Waddy as we have kids and the site has a dingo proof fence around it.

BlueCollie

Waddy is alright. There's gas bbqs and hot showers. The swimming is good just on the beach at the point.
Last time I went we stayed at Dundubara which was nicer. Grass sites and better facilities also more central. Still has a fence around it but the beach wasn't as good for swimming with the kids but the proximity to Eli ck made up for it. Also wasn't as much of mission to get to lake Mackenzie.

Tornado ALIVE

How long do you think it would take to drive from Waddy down to Central Station. Also, is it possible to camp anywhere on the island (south of Waddy) with a camper trailer. If so, we could leave Waddy a day or two earlier and move camp further south.

Gunna

How long do you think it would take to drive from Waddy down to Central Station. Also, is it possible to camp anywhere on the island (south of Waddy) with a camper trailer. If so, we could leave Waddy a day or two earlier and move camp further south.
Allow yourself at least 2 hours + to travel to Central station from Waddy point depending on how the sand is, as far as camping along the beach you will need to book a site at one of the designated camping zones

Tornado ALIVE

Thanks Gunna, 2+ hours each way is doable. We plan to base ourself for nearly 2 weeks at Waddy and do several day trips from there covering from Sandy Cape Light House to Central station. Last day we will travel with Campers from Waddy to Hook Point and then depart the island.

Biggsy

It will be soft and hot that time of the year. Maxtrax or any other decent recovery tred is must. Best recovery tool in soft sand or pretty much anything.
Big thing to remember is to salt your bait. Beast way to keep your bait in the heat

03hilux

As far as vehicle choice, it all comes down to driver skill on F.I. Adjust tyre pressures to suit each vehicle and you should be fine.
There is nothing challenging other than the Indian Head bypass. But if later in the day, may challenge both vehicles.