Forward Fold Trailer

Cejay

Hi, have read a fair bit about the FF trailers and having owned one for a couple of years will attempt to dispel some myths.
It is a Chinese import and whilst there are some minor QA issues, for the price the camper trailer has been good value. We have had a variety of camper trailers including rear fold, side fold and a pop up (roof top mounted tent) on a trailer we had custom built. We finally have found the trailer that suits us perfectly.
Here are the myths,
Towball weight is too high, yes it is true but if you pack the trailer right you can reduce the impact. for example we pack heavy items inside over the axle, we also carry the annexe poles on the rear of the trailer.
Cant open the rear car doors with camper connected, no we have no problems whatsoever in opening the rear doors of our GU, even able to access the fridge slide.
Not suitable for tough offroad, we have taken ours across the Googs track no probs, has been up to the high country and all through the Flinders not to mention beach and various dune driving areas and the Border Track etc etc. We have never had a serious issue with control or strength of the trailer, never rattled anything off nor broken anything in transit.
QA isssues include, weak jockey wheel, replaced with ALKO mechanical drive unit, a couple of the wind down legs have been replaced due to ordinary steel used in Threaded sections. Replaced some of the ordinary Aluminium rivets on the lockdowns with Stainless Steel, that is basically all the problems we have had.
Canvas leaks, we have camped out in numerous storms and have never had a drop of water inside.
Some Improvements that have been made.
Cut down the 120mm HD Foam mattress due to the width interfering with the ability to close easily. Added outside tap to have access to large 136 ltr water tank without opening the kitchen. Removed I bolts on the internal tent frame and reverted to holes to enable easier erection of the annexe. Set up hooks on the top to use as tiedowns for roof bag, to store camp chairs and table. Added DCDC charger to properly utilize the 50 amp anderson charger setup from the car.

I have numerous other tweaks I intend to do as time permits, and welcome questions from anyone interested in FF campers. This type of camper may not be for everyone but everyone that has checked out our setup has been impressed. Some of the advantages are.

Extremely quick setup of the camper only, ideal for overnight in transit stops.
Great access to lots of storage including fridge slide, pantry and kitchen, handy for lunch stops.
Large flat table - the roof of trailer and storage boxes, handy for lunch stops and shopping stops.
If you can park the car with the trailer you can set up camp, we have managed to camp in areas you would not even be able to put up a tourer tent.
Large bed and and an undercover table and seating setup, perfect for the bad weather, meals inside and comfy seating whilst playing card/board games at night.
Lots more that don't come to mind right now.
If you want to know more, I am keen to give you all the unbiased info you require.
Cejay....

Cejay

IMG_4991.JPG
IMG_4992.JPG
IMG_4993.JPG
IMG_4994.JPG
IMG_4997.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4998.JPG
    IMG_4998.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_4999.JPG
    IMG_4999.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_5000.JPG
    IMG_5000.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_5001.JPG
    IMG_5001.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 218

Maxy

Looks a great camper. Was talking to a couple in Birdsville camping near us for the races. Both loved that there dogs could sleep inside. Very practical set up. They loved it as well.
Cheers for the photos

Cejay

IMG_4980.JPG

Attachments

• vlcsnap-00079.jpg
    vlcsnap-00079.jpg
    612.1 KB · Views: 138
  • vlcsnap-00080.jpg
    vlcsnap-00080.jpg
    581.2 KB · Views: 165
  • vlcsnap-00081.jpg
    vlcsnap-00081.jpg
    556.8 KB · Views: 155

john4x4

Seriously thinking an FF would be ideal for our family's needs too.
Poly block hitch ok?
Do you use the onboard tank water for washing/shower only, or is it ok to drink? Have heard stories of water quality issues...

Cejay

Hi John
On-board water tank is stainless, we use it for drinking and cooking. It is always filled with rainwater from home so it tastes good, we are planning to put a filter inline though. If you fill tank with water you drink from home you should not have any issues...
Cejay.

mauriceb

There design is a great concept . However the reason i never purchased one was due to the heavy tare weight the 185kg ball weight and having to disconnect my 105 series cruiser to open my barn doors . I opted for a Cub Daintree rear fold that was 300kg lighter with a ball weight of 75kg

89gqpatrol4x4

My parents have a ff and love it! So fast to set up , no canvas touches the ground and great for a couple. Not sure on families don't think it would suit us but others maybe

john4x4

ok cool, yeah I heard the water can get contaminated if they use the wrong tubing to the tank. A filter would be a good idea.
Interesting about the ball weight. Normally 3 of us at home so a FF would suit.

Really interesting read and great photos Cejay. Thanks for the insight.
We've been looking to get a camper to pull with our CX-5 AWD TTD, and have been giving serious consideration to a FF for all the reasons you mention re convenience on overnights etc. The (obvious in hindsight) suggestions re loading over/behind the axle to reduce ball weight etc., have certainly given us some food for thought.
There's only 2 of us and 2 pups so spacewise a FF would be perfect. The tweaks and add-ons also make perfect sense.

hiluxdriver

I have some questions also.
As you've owned both rear fold and forward fold. How does ease of setup compare between the two for 1 person doing the work? And how does the bed stay made up on a forward fold when it flips over? Do you have to make it each time you setup?

80lover96gxl

As you've owned both rear fold and forward fold. How does ease of setup compare between the two for 1 person doing the work? And how does the bed stay made up on a forward fold when it flips over? Do you have to make it each time you setup?
Good question.

Cejay

Hi Mate,
Set up times are pretty close, bear in mind that when the FF is set up it also has a table/seating arrangement in place, something that would have to be done separately in the RF.
With reference to ease of setup I would say that for one person they are on a par, developing a routine is the most important factor.
The bed is kept in place using 4 straps with adjustable plastic snap catches, (2 longitudinal and 2 lateral). We bag the pillows and store them under the table during transit, only set up for the bed becomes putting pillows in place after the straps are stowed.
Hope this helps.

Regards
Cejay

hiluxdriver

I've been looking at a Skamper Kamper Gecko or now Dingo, but I think that austrack is better. 2 batteries, full plumbed kitchen and a stereo, and 1000 odd clams less

monbeg

I'm looking at AJC Campers, a local outfit close to where I live (Queanbeyan, just outside Canberra):

There seems to be a different brands of the same camper in every state so going with a local one would make sense.

Compare the AJC Premium, Bluewater Murray, Austrack Savannah, Skamper Campers Dingo and quite a few more and they all seem to be the same camper with different branding.