Ford Ranger XLS 2014 3.2Ltr Diesel

PunditTech

G'day all,

New to this forum and had a 4wd several years ago but now looking at getting into it. Have been searching a bit and found a rig that is up for sale. I have no experience with Ford's, previous one was a Toyo Hilux Dual Cab and it was a pretty awesome rig!

Could anyone please have a look at these specs and advise if it is a good rig for 4WD-ing?

Ford Ranger XLS 2014
3.2Ltr Diesel, 6 Speed Manual
Has got the whole works done to it( Winch, 2inch lift, Snorket, bullbar, undercover plates, sidesteps, rev camera etc) and in immaculate condition

My biggest question is the capability of these off-road 4WD-ing.

Thank you.
Pundit.

cam04

They are a big long Ute with a low hanging tow bar. You won’t get far in a 4wd park where ‘real’ 4wds play.
I had one for 8 years and toured extensively with it. Depends on what your definition of capable is.

PunditTech

Thanks for that Cam. Yeah, I would like to not necessarily do hardcore stuff but defn would like to tackle some good 4WD-ing.

Appreciate your comment once again, will keep looking for my Toyota Hilux... :)

discomatt

It would be just as capable as any ute, more comfortable than a lux but just as capable off road, front and rear lockers and some decent rubber is all that a modern ute needs to be a very capable 4wd or touring rig.
Add diff drop kits, reduction gears with the above they would go anywhere with an experienced driver

Albynsw

I agree with what Matt said, they all have there strong and weak aspects so wouldn’t discount getting one if that is what you are after
The modifications will be the major difference the brands for off-road capability
There low slung tow bar is probably their biggest disadvantage

Lost1?

If you can afford it I would look for something with less than 360,000k on the clock. Maybe look at something a bit older with a lot less k's on the clock. Old tow tugs with 150,000k appear at times. You just need to be patient and be prepared to travel to find the right vehicle.

cam04

Thanks for that Cam. Yeah, I would like to not necessarily do hardcore stuff but defn would like to tackle some good 4WD-ing.

Appreciate your comment once again, will keep looking for my Toyota Hilux... :)
From a straight 4wding point of view a hilux isn’t going to offer anything much more than the ranger. Ive had a procession of dual cabs and it is my very humble opinion that they are not great at actual 4wding compared with ‘proper’ 4wd’s and they are outclassed very quickly in ‘proper’ 4wd conditions.
I personally wouldn’t wish a ford with 360 km on it on anybody.

Hoyks

360k is a fair few, but my BT50 6 speed manual (basically the same) has just ticked over 200k and has no issues... yet.

If they don't have proof they were done, budget around $4 to 5k for a set of injectors. They have a reputation for burning out No.4 piston if the injectors are allowed to go too long.

a1bert

As a Ranger owner, and an ex Patrol owner who used to go into the High Country a lot (slowed down by Covid), what do people mean a real four wheel drive park
Does a real four wheel park mean doing the Rubicon?
heaven help you on your day to day driving then!
The Patrols are great, the Ranger (admitingly with 2" lift as they sag when you put 300kg in the back) still goes to the same places but differently, different way of driving them, big advantage the Ranger has is you just throw every thing and more in the back instead of bouncing around your head

cam04

As a Ranger owner, and an ex Patrol owner who used to go into the High Country a lot (slowed down by Covid), what do people mean a real four wheel drive park
The Patrols are great, the Ranger (admitingly with 2" lift as they sag when you put 300kg in the back) still goes to the same places but differently, different way of driving them, big advantage the Ranger has is you just throw every thing and more in the back instead of bouncing around your head
The more technical tracks where you do panel damage. Twin cabs, esp ranger, have very long wheelbases, big overhangs, and bugger all wheel travel. They are commercial vehicles that give a pretty good showing in a moderate off-road situation. Start hanging out with jeep clubs or patrols who test their limits and you may as well have left the twin cab at home - and rightly so - they are a great compromise vehicle that excel at nothing. Amazingly practical, and definitely getting better with each iteration, but if ‘going 4wding’ in parks is your go, you use the ranger to tow the park toy and carry the spares.

rob_macca67

What are the known common issues with Rangers then? That would be what I would be wanting to know... the last thing u would want is to be left high and dry with breakdowns, etc in the middle of the bush...
Is the issue when changing the engine oil and the time taken still a problem these days or has that been fixed? EGR/Coolant issues? Auto-Trans issues when towing?

nitrobrent

received_535543428149312.jpeg
Solid axles, wheels that stick out past the body and flex is what you take to a real 4wd park.
It will do it again and again without breaking stuff or needing recabbing.

Hoyks

What are the known common issues with Rangers then? That would be what I would be wanting to know... the last thing u would want is to be left high and dry with breakdowns, etc in the middle of the bush...
Is the issue when changing the engine oil and the time taken still a problem these days or has that been fixed? EGR/Coolant issues? Auto-Trans issues when towing?
Engine oils is an issue, but easily managed so it isn't an issue.
Haven't heard of EGR failures in this series, although valves can be dicky.
The one he is looking at is a manual.
Intercooler hosed still split

Komang

Me my son and my friend have ranger.
It’s diesel engine let it roll and it will keep rolling it’s not a race car.
Mine 170k+ km my son 23k km and my engine sound almost semillar with his.
Split intercooler it a common problem if you push your car to hard (my friend wildtrack 2021 already replace 3time now due his wife the way she drive)

a1bert

Should have added that one of the Patrols was a short wheel base
After returning from our trips we would both have neck aches for days from the constant pitching of the vehicle. Should have worn a neck brace now i think of it
It went every where but the best relief was a long wheel based Patrol which just about went every where the shorty did but in comfort and with practicality
Best add that we are driving from Melbourne into the Highlands, usually a days drive
Note the above Jeep is a SWB :eek: