Change background image

Ford Everest

Discussion in 'Ford / Mazda' started by Brendan Botha, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Brendan Botha

Brendan Botha New Member

Hi,
    Anyone out there with a Ford Everest? I recently got one which I have taken on a few tracks in Grampians, Snowy, Howqua, etc and would love to hear how others are finding their Everest?
    Thanks, BB

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  2. anthonywr

anthonywr New Member

Picked it up on Friday, then sick all weekend :/
    2015 Ambiente, with a ford snokel and tow pack

3. anthonywr

anthonywr New Member

In mine, I can hear the air turbulence through the snokel (it can be a bit a a howl sometimes), but I can also hear a little bit of turbo fluttering. This is sometime when the auto changes gears or sometime when I ease of the pedal. Is this normal?
    Im driving it pretty softly, it not under very much throttle, just light acceleration.

Sounds like this:

4. Brendan Botha

Brendan Botha New Member

Hi Anthony,
    Thats great news!
    I would like to get a snorkel. Can you please send me a photo of yours so I can see what it looks like?
    Thank you very much.
    Regards, BB

5. anthonywr

anthonywr New Member

Here's a pic

Attached Files:

tankbloke likes this.
  6. Brendan Botha

Brendan Botha New Member

WOW! That looks awesome!!!! After seeing your photo I will also get one. Thanks.
    Do you know if they had to change anything under the hood? Or is it cut and plug?

7. Brendan Botha

Brendan Botha New Member

Look how the after market ones are being installed:
    upload_2016-7-10_11-35-4.png
    They cut it in over the fender/wheel arch. Your original Ford installation looks way better!

8. Brendan Botha

Brendan Botha New Member

Would be great if you could please send a photo of under the hood? I'd love to see how the Ford original connects to the air box at the front of the bonnet. You've got me excited about this now! Thanks.

9. Les PK Ranger

Les PK Ranger 4x4 Earth Contributer

I believe the PX Ranger snorkel as posted by Anthony a few posts above is simple fit, removing the indicator panel, and no need to modify the guard (Drilling / cutting) . . . not sure about the inner skirt, that MIGHT need a hole saw to drill for snorkel piping to go through.
    The other one you posted above BB you would need to use a supplied template to cut / drill the guard etc, which requires some tools / skills, and just a little nerve !! :)
    Normally the kit will include all the clamps and piping you need to connect the snorkel to the air filter housing, and the old air pickup is then obsolete and can eother be removed or left in place if neater.

10. Brendan Botha

Brendan Botha New Member

Thanks Les thats helpful.
    I'm hoping to see a photo from Anthony so I can see the inside.

11. Les PK Ranger

BB, I pretty sure the guard for the Everest and Ranger are the same . . . ?
    If so, seems you do need to drill holes at least in the guard, see this link as it is the full instructions and many pics.
    Safari snorkel

12. anthonywr

anthonywr New Member

Here are more pics.

No holes appear to have been drilled - anywhere. Even the snorkel funnel is secure into the roof rails, not the pillar. I knew fitting of the snorkel went in through the fender guard where the indicator was, so I asked the dealer if they could supply me with the parts they remove to fit the snorkel. When I picked it up, they have a box full of parts, including an airbox. I didnt realize they replaced the airbox as well, with one what had the fittings for the snorkel. I just assumed that they would drill a hole in it and silicone the gaps, but no. Even the hole inside the engine bay does not appear to be driller, the edges are smooth and has the paint finish, so either the hole was already there from manufacture, or they finished it off -really- nicely (thought the bottom edge is a little scratched as you see in picture, but I can run my finger around it and its does not feel sharp like it would if it was cut.

It really is an amazingly engineered and clean fit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2016
  13. phs

phs Well-Known Member

The ranger snorkel won't fit an Everest . The integral part of the front fender is different

And the factory Everest snorkel has issues
    It restricts are flow and they actually have a negative effect on performance, and produce less torque.

14. Les PK Ranger

Wow, and here I was thinking they were basically a PX in wagon format for the most of it, maybe it's just the chassis / mech ?

Sounds like a crap snorkel setup then, are there any links to reviews that have tested the negative results ?

phs likes this.
  15. Neil Cadden

Neil Cadden New Member

Have an Ambiente and happy with performance. Handles off general off road conditions well with plenty of clearance, have not tried wading depth yet. Mainly used to to Caravan on black stuf and off road where van can be towed. Get good economy and performance with van attached, however, time will tell if this will be contender for more "traditional" 4wd

16. anthonywr

anthonywr New Member

Can you sight related discussion? I'm unable to find info you mentioned.

17. Brendan Botha

Brendan Botha New Member

Thanks Anthony, I agree it certainly does look well engineered and a great fit. I'll contact Ford tomorrow to see if they can do one for me. Thanks again, regards BB

18. anthonywr

anthonywr New Member

Actually, Im wondering if the snorkel is too narrow to allow for good air intake. You can certainly hear to air being sucked through and it seems quite turbulent. Im also getting a bit of turbo flutter you can hear through the snorkel, this happen when accelerating gently and when it changes up a gear and the RPM drop, but still under power. Im not sure if it bad for the engine, but I'll mention it at the 3k service.

19. Les PK Ranger

I think if you look at std intakes they are usually smaller than snorkel passages, although sometimes shorter in length.
    The ram head ensures improved / more than ample airflow when moving, even slightly forward.
    I can hear mine sucking air in too when it's just idling.

20. anthonywr

anthonywr New Member

New problem today. Driving along at about 80km/h and I think the shift from 4th to 5th the transmission seems to slip out of gear, then the engine reved to 2500-3000rpm and then thudded into gear with a massive shunt like Id been hit from behind. It did it once at about 600km but since it was only once I didnt think about it, today its done it about 5 times in about 5km. Everything was warm as Id been driving for about 15 mins before hand.
    All other shifts have seemed smooth.

Googling around, this seems to be symptoms of a failing auto gearbox. yikes only 1200km on the clock. Anyway, its booked in at the local ford service center next week for them to have a look at. Bummer.