Change background image

Ford Everest and upgraded suspension

Discussion in 'Ford / Mazda' started by steve berg, Apr 21, 2016.

1. steve berg

steve berg New Member

Hi
    My wife and I are planning a lap starting in July and I am getting our new Ford Everest ready for the trip. We will head west to Birdsville from Brisbane towing a full off-road 18' caravan. Plan is to then do the Birdsville and Oodnadatta tracks before heading into the centre and then north to Darwin. I've just had the Everest fitted with a TJM steel bull bar and winch and an airtec snorkel. Next stage is tyres and suspension. I'm looking at Cooper AT3s and TJM coils with polyair red series airbags in the back to help with towing and ride over the corrugations. I've just found out that some of the suspension won't be available until June. Has anyone had experience (good or bad) with TJM suspension + airbags? Any other viable options to keep things on the straight and narrow? Appreciate your comments.
    Steve

2. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Given the vehicle I would ( I am ) waiting untill a few more companies get suspension sorted there is so much tech gear in the everest that just throwing some shocks and springs in May have a lot of negative effects.

I'd think a company like ARB will test the kits fairly well prior to releasing them.

as well be sure to use a tank of ad blue prior to setting off there is a fair few with softwear issues that have been occurring after refilling or reaching a low level Warning causing all sorts of dramas including not being able to start the car, they are very close to releasing a softwear update so take it in prior to leaving and have it updated

80lover96gxl and 03hilux like this.
  3. steve berg

steve berg New Member

Thanks for the advice phs. I hadn't heard anything about the ad blue issue before this so that is particularly helpful (and a bit worrying). I'll keep you posted on developments.

4. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Do they have a Ad Blue tank ? I had no idea.

5. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Yes they have an ad blue system.

6. Spooner

No shite , Ive used it in Euro trucks for a few years , had no idea cars had it now . Even the latest Kenworth K200 runs it now , with the Paccar DAF engine .

7. Spooner

If that's the case , from my experience using the stuff , is always top it up when it gets to 1/4 tank level .
    Its never happened to me , but a couple of my mates have run low and the truck will de-rate , like in limp mode in a car and then shut down and stop.

8. steve berg

steve berg New Member

Sounds like the trucks at least have some indicator about how much ad blue has been used. So far as I know, all you get in the Everest is a warning light. Not much help if you are in the middle of nowhere looking for some ad blue.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  9. Spooner

Yes the trucks have a separate ad blue gauge , but can hold up to 200 litres of it.
    Do you know what size the ad blue tank is ?
    Consumption rate is around 5 - 6 % of diesel burn , so you can calculate the usage working on your cars fuel range.
    I would work on a safety margin and calculate at 8-9% and you should never get caught low.

10. Tobey

Tobey Member

I could be wrong, but I heard it was a capacity of about 14,000 km's.

11. steve berg

steve berg New Member

Hi Spooner. Thanks for the info. From memory the ad blue tank holds 18 litres and the manual suggests a range of anything between 3000k to 18000k per tank depending on whether you are towing or cruising about.
    On another topic, a guy at TJM told me that the Redarc DC to DC charger that had been fitted to the car by the Ford dealership I bought the car from had been fitted incorrectly. It has been mounted on the firewall and fitted up with circuit breakers. He said it should be mounted behind the grill and and fitted up with fuses (so you can more easily isolate where any overload might be coming from). Any body else had this advice?

Spooner likes this.
  12. phs

phs Well-Known Member

From all reports its a softwear issue, and only starts to be an issue after the first time you get a low level light or refill

We are on 6k and no issues to date but as soon as this fix is finiallised I will be taking ours in to have it updated

I think a few will be looking at ECU alternatives to sort this ad blue problem
    Really not great having to worry about this in the bush

I think ford have done a decent job with the Everest but definetly fell sort on s few things like this and NO RECOVERY points !

Hopefully ARB come good with there range soon

Spooner likes this.
  13. Tobey

Tobey Member

Where did you mount the second battery?

14. Tobey

Tobey Member

We are still waiting for Amarok ones six years on. Will all depend on the uptake...

15. Spooner

Very interesting , do you know why they fitted the ad blue system to it ? To meet Euro 5 emissions ?
    I thought they run the same engine as my Mazda and the Ranger . At least they will use bugger all , with the small engine I guess , it would depend on the load you are carrying / pulling . Let us know how you go , just for my own curiosity.

Im not expert in this , just been using it the last 5 years or so in trucks . One thing I have noticed is that in Cummins engines anyway , the new SCR ISXe5 with ad blue , runs way cooler than say a 2011 ISX EGR with particulator filter and no ad blue , which was always running at the high end of normal.

16. steve berg

steve berg New Member

It is a deep cycle Thumper which sits in the back of the wagon tied in to the fixing points on the floor. I use it for the (beer) fridge which I also tie in on the other side. I'm not sure there would be enough room under the bonnet to seat a second battery.

17. Thang55

Thang55 New Member

To the original poster.
    Suspension is a bit of a problem at the moment.
    Don't expect to see anything from ARB soon.
    Opposite lock have a 40mm kit (but could you trust their installers).
    Rancho have front only and rear wont be until late in the year.
    Tough Dog wont be until second half of the year.

Lovells - my car is being used for R&D and will be pulled apart next week for measurement. Lovells will then build springs and shocks which should be ready two weeks after that.

I can let you know when they're done if you like.

18. Swaggie

Swaggie Moderator

phs likes this.
  19. steve berg

steve berg New Member

Thanks Thang55. Would love to here how it goes. I'm in Brisbane. Where is Lovells situated?

20. steve berg

steve berg New Member

Thanks Swaggie, I think. You have really thrown the cat amongst the pigeons. I use an equalising hitch when using the van to help level things up but now I have no idea whether I am better off relying on this or fitting up the airbags. Anybody got any thoughts on this?

Swaggie likes this.