For the Amarok owners

redback

This is just a heads up for those that may find that when you wash the engine bay or do a water crossing and sometime after, you go to start your Rok after it has sat idle for a couple of weeks and it feels like the motor suddenly shakes violently on start up, which is what happened to us, this is what I found.

There is a hole on the top left side of the Bell Housing, now in our case this is an open hole with no pipe like a breather and is flush with the surface, this allows water and in our case soap to seep into the bell housing, I'm guessing over time this has gone stale and muddy, this has probably sat on the clutch and caused the plates to become stuck together, causing the violet shake.

So I've taken out one of the wading plugs under the bell housing and drained all the muddy soapy water out, flushed the bell housing with clean water and dried it out as much as I could, this will be tempory until I get the thing that is supposed to be in the hole at the top and extend it up out of the way like a diff breather.

I only hope this hasn't damaged the seals at the back of the engine and the front of the gearbox, only time will tell.

My advice it check is, pull the rubber drain plug out of the bottom of the bell housing, also check if your Rok has the hole with nothing stopping water to get in.

Baz.

MatOZ

I don't own a VW Rok but that is good advice. If it was me, the crankshaft would be my greatest concern. If it corrodes into where the oil seal runs, it would be a big expensive headache. I would say the violet shake is the engine/clutch balance out, with stale mud built up on one the lower part of the clutch when the vehicle is parked.

susd_co_nz

Sick of heads-down-bums-up with you Amarok?

My Amarok went squeeky after I baptised it! One on the pully's in the fan belt area mustn't have liked the water. The air cleaner is in a good place tho, I've put the bonnet under water a few times (mostly accidental) and it has been fine, even tho I don't have a snorkel.. you might find this website interesting?

I got sick on my Amarok sitting with it's bum in the air and nose to the ground, so I installed a suspension leveling kit from this kiwi company SUSD - Ride height tuning kits for Amarok and it has made a world of difference to my Rok! Rides better, even feels better to sit in - it's been the best thing aside from a diesel chip that I'd done to it

Pat75W

Sick of heads-down-bums-up with you Amarok?

My Amarok went squeeky after I baptised it! One on the pully's in the fan belt area mustn't have liked the water. The air cleaner is in a good place tho, I've put the bonnet under water a few times (mostly accidental) and it has been fine, even tho I don't have a snorkel.. you might find this website interesting?

I got sick on my Amarok sitting with it's bum in the air and nose to the ground, so I installed a suspension leveling kit from this kiwi company SUSD - Ride height tuning kits for Amarok and it has made a world of difference to my Rok! Rides better, even feels better to sit in - it's been the best thing aside from a diesel chip that I'd done to it
Why would you not just raise the front instead of lowering the rear? Wouldn't you want more ground clearance? Cheers, Pat.

Tink

Why would you not just raise the front instead of lowering the rear? Wouldn't you want more ground clearance? Cheers, Pat.
No idea mate, I'm thinking the same as you.
But it was that guy's one and only post on here and he was just plugging his own company's product. Blatant commercial promotion.
Tink

Jackolux

I have question for anyone that has a 8 speed auto Amarok , I get around the Vic Highcountry a bit , I don't think I have ever seen a auto ROK on any of the tracks that could be considered the tougher steeper tracks , Billy Goats Bluff for example , is it because the lower gears just not up to the task .

Pat75W

Hey mate, I've got a Manual Amarok and I'm from NSW and not familiar with the tracks you mention, so I can't say for certain. I think the Auto box (and Amarok) gets bad feed back from anyone who hasn't driven one. The guys I know with Auto's go almost anywhere with a drama.
Cheers, Pat.

D

Deleted member 69390

We are talking about the lack of low range on the auto - first gear on the auto is reasonably low but not as low as a manual in low range - how ever when the torque multipilication of the torque converter and the slippage it provides is taken into account means that onroad there is not a lot in it - the one possible issue is in reverse where reverse is a lot higher gearing.

I dont think there is anything to your observation other than maybe there are not a lot vehicles out there.

Jackolux

If I had come across any Amarok's , I would of had a chat and asked ,
With the new 3lt ROK comping it would be good to know , anyone got a 8 speed auto want to come for a couple of day in the bush .

dno67

Mate's had both manual and now auto, loves the auto. He did mention he thought
the manual's first gear was tall and made it easy to stall.

stu9

I've got an auto Amarok. We towed a trailer through Cape York this August, taking as many back tracks as we could find. There were 2 auto Amaroks on the trip with one towing a trailer, and all of us being Cape York virgins. We did the Frenchmans track east to west, which is apparently the more difficult direction. As we approached the Pascoe River crossing on the Frenchmans track, some people in front told my brother in law to go first, as he will need to winch me up with the trailer. Well, they were all wrong. The auto just gently walked up the rocky track with the trailer. I have read people saying they can't get the throttle control with the auto. My thoughts are the opposite, it has been the easiest 4x4 to use in rough country I have ever driven. Even with the trailer you often don't even feel it if a wheel is in the air, the vehicle just keeps moving smoothly forward. We went through places with the trailer others in "conventional" 4x4 told us they had trouble. It was rare to take the engine over 1800RPM, with it often purring along at 1200RPM. Mind you, often it felt like the torque converter was still locked at this engine speed. When the going got really rough, the vehicle would still pull away from a temporary stop in second, with the trailer. Obviously at these times the torque converter was not locked, but doing its job. As far as engine braking goes, the auto uses a smart controller. The system senses you have a trailer, and makes changes to the shift pattern etc. It also senses the angles of decline/incline, and will hold gears, or change down gears on a decline as you would manually with a manual gearbox. Yes, you cannot select "off road" mode when a trailer is connected, but we really didn't find anything lacking. I guess because the auto becomes more proactive with the trailer, off road mode becomes redundant.

To say we have been impressed is a major understatement. We spoke to many others on the tracks who were amazed with how easily we traversed the tracks and obstacles. Don't forget these autos don't have a low range. Even on the CREB track (without the trailer, but my ute was still pretty much fully loaded) we never felt undergunned in the steep country. To those who doubt how good these utes are, my only suggestion is to find one you can take for a drive, and try it on some of the craziest tracks you would expect to have troubles on. I will be surprised if you don't come back scratching your head thinking "How the hell did that ute do that?" We certainly have.

Stu

mikehzz

I have question for anyone that has a 8 speed auto Amarok , I get around the Vic Highcountry a bit , I don't think I have ever seen a auto ROK on any of the tracks that could be considered the tougher steeper tracks , Billy Goats Bluff for example , is it because the lower gears just not up to the task .
There are 3 Land Rovers with auto and no low range, I've got one and done lots of steep tracks like Mt Pinibar and Billy Goats Bluff without any trouble. What you do find on that style of car is that on hot days the auto transmission temperature warning light comes on after a while because the torque converter is working overtime to compensate. I regularly have to stop mid way and let it cool down on the long tough stuff. Having said that, there hasn't been a hill my car hasn't been able to climb. So there is no doubt that single range auto's with torquey motors and superior traction systems can be very capable cars, but they aren't as good as the same car with a dual range box, I've had first hand experience for the last 8 years to prove it to me. I was all set to buy an auto Amarok when they hit the market but VW lost the sale with their decision to scrap the low range. It's not the brand either because I've owned 6 VW's over the years.

stu9

I've had a couple of conventional "SUV's" (gees I hate the Americanisms being used in Australia) with automatics before, and have seen the auto temperature light come on. That was in soft sand on Fraser Island. I've also had the all wheel drive system on one of those overheat and go back to 2 wheel drive, again on Fraser Island in deep soft sand. Losing 4 wheel drive was no fun! We haven't had any temperature issues with the Amarok yet, even crossing the Simpson with daily temperatures over 40°C for most of the day. It was so hot the battery swelled up like a baloon, although it did have an impact bruise from the day we bought it. I had been wondering how I could get VW to replace the battery before it ran out of warranty, but that took care of itself.

With respect to that, when I called VW from Birdsville, they had a local service station operator at my door in just over an hour. Peter of Birdsville Roadhouse told me he replaces a lot of batteries out there because of the heat, but this was the first time any manufacturer had honoured their warranty and paid for the replacement. 10 points to VW!

Stu

Last edited:

Kippie

I found 4 breather points. The two diff ones that you've found. Then there's the gearbox which is between the engine and fire wall above the bell housing. It's a bit tricky to find it, but it's there. The transfer case has a duck bill on the passenger side on top. This is the most difficult one to find.