Flinders Ranges and Simpson Desert

steve223

Hello Together,

Thought I post a video from our recent Flinders Ranges and Simpson Desert trip and our escapes from the Birdsville Floods.

Part one is here

Cheers

Steve

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Nice video Steve, long, but very good to see a lot of the places on your trip.
Eldee Station was good to see, very much like the Flinders Ranges in the terrain and creeks.

I must say, pleased we'll be crossing French Line east to west in a week and a bit, those undulations on the longer western slopes are certainly plentiful.
We came back on part of French Line in May going towards Dalhousie, and was a pretty easy run up the east sides.

Some of the assisted towing over the dunes was pretty interesting, shows how much extra pressure towing a trailer / camper can put on travelling out there.

Looking forward to part 2 and the wet.

steve223

Thanks mate, Part two has the majority of assisted towing :), not towing was pretty easy think I reversed 2 times the first day getting used to Defender and manual in Sand and that was it. East to west will be a little more interesting next time I'm planing a double crossing and spending more time in the Desert

steve223

Second part of our Simpson Desert adventure including Big Red. With two trucks towing Camper Trailer we had plenty of recoveries and use of the reveres gear... It also includes our escape from Birdsville just before the last road closed and our attempts to outrun the floods

steve223

yes we would have been stuck in Inaminka for a couple of days if we would have pressed on. while I wasn't to concerned to get stuck with Defenders KM2, 35" and double locked the D4 with AT's and smaller tires I wasn't so sure

Last edited:

patrolgu4

I forgot to add; I really like to know how you'd climbed those dunes just crawling up, where others would try speed/momentum and heaps of go pedal and still fail....tyre pressures?
Good giggles for sure....
B/R

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
I was going to ask you about tyre pressures, so seeing you brought it up :)
Do you know what the various rigs were running, in the vehicles, and those towing in their campers ?

Typically, we usually run 16 - 18 and have no problems . . . sometimes a dune is underestimated, and a second run with slightly more momentum is needed, but pretty rare.
I really like taking it easy and crawling up them, but it doesn't always work out.

steve223

tyre pressure really depends on vehicle and tyre size my standard off road pressure is 15PSI cold I air further down to be around 15PSI hot as I did not get stuck I saw no need to air down further but would have gladly gone down to 8-10 PSI if required. I aired down another 3 PSI for BigRed left hand track which becomes very soft. The Discovery 4 was at 18 PSI and Defender 130 at First day 16psi hot. Second day 14psi hot, big red 10psi hot.

As this was my first time with the Defender on sand it took me 2-3 hours on the first day to figure out the best way for me as I knew I did only want to use the momentum I absolutely needed as I did not want to bottom out and bobble around like a ship at rough see.

I pretty much drove the whole Simpson in first gear high, I think I went once or twice for a dune in second low and reveresed probably 2-3 times on the first day. I used both lockers for BigRed left hand site.

I guess the difference was throttle control and keeping truck whole time in correct rev band.

Mark in the D4 relies on loads of electronics and slow did not work for him. Trucks with trailers naturally need momentum to get the trailer trough it.

cheers

Steve

Last edited: