Flat Pack Fire pits

silkwood

Bought this at bunnings today , we will see how it goes but for $59 its a cheap unit . Always sit by a camp fire but if the rain persists I'll put a few shovels of coals in it and put it under the awning .
View attachment 61420

Good price there. What size?

The reason I like these fire pits (all kinds) is the benefit of being able to place them just in front of the annex during (light) rain, keeping me dry but the flames and smoke outside. Being movable is a much better option that having to abandon a fixed fireplace due to weather.

Cheers,
Mark

Bomber2012

Good price there. What size?

The reason I like these fire pits (all kinds) is the benefit of being able to place them just in front of the annex during (light) rain, keeping me dry but the flames and smoke outside. Being movable is a much better option that having to abandon a fixed fireplace due to weather.

Cheers,
Mark
W 500 H 280 L 700 , works well , bit of a pita to put together but should get easier the more I use it.

Spooner

Bought this at bunnings today , we will see how it goes but for $59 its a cheap unit . Always sit by a camp fire but if the rain persists I'll put a few shovels of coals in it and put it under the awning .
View attachment 61420

Wait to you see my latest portable fireplace Luke
Stylish , Hotter than Hell & even has Solid Axle :)
IMAG2868.jpg

IMAG2869.jpg

Andrew_LN65

View attachment 61420
We got one of those for the backyard. Its pretty good. Throws out a good bit of heat and I'm amazed at how little wood it goes through. The stuff we put in is barely over kindling size but it goes for ages.
It does start to rust up pretty quick though. Not sure id bother taking it camping.

MrPoopypants

Happy Birthday Silver Ed. Nice birthday present, good time of the year to test it out. Funny the thing to hold the hot stuff goes well with the thing to hold the cold stuff. Hope you enjoyed a few of the cold ones.
Cheers
PP

LiamBlack

I was told yesterday that the type of coal influences the taste of meals when cooking on an open fire. Is that true? I usually buy the cheapest coals in the store and cook on them. If it's true, I'm interested in doing some experiments. I found reviews on coals, even that happens!

cam04

I was told yesterday that the type of coal influences the taste of meals when cooking on an open fire. Is that true? I usually buy the cheapest coals in the store and cook on them. If it's true, I'm interested in doing some experiments. I found reviews on coals, even that happens!
Without a doubt. There’s a bloke around here called the charcoal man. He has all sorts. Apparently the mangrove charcoal is pretty good.

Bomber2012

Cant say Ive ever noticed , only time I cook on coals is in the bush using eucalypts .

LurchWA

Not really mate as long as your fuel of choice is fully ashed over, using green wood would definitely be different.. you can always add wood of different flavors to enhance your meats but I have found that this has little effect on other food like veges or eggs etc

mauriceb

What about a 9kg gas bottle with removable threaded legs ,s/s grate and a vent trapdoor can run as slow combustion and all fits nicely in a milk grate
IMG_20190728_170137.jpg

Jambles

I have a Quokka and it's awesome! The Quokka has no spotwelds on the panels of the pit, it has roll formed edges. I think it means that the steel is rolled over the joins, or something rather than just a spot weld. I chose it because spotwelds can be a bit dicy bouncing around in a 4x4, plus being heated everytime I have a fire. I'm a bit biased. My mate had one a couple of months before me and gave me the spiel. I have also seen the Quokka used on "Goin' off grid" on 7mate recently. I've had my Quokka for 3 years so I was pretty excited to see it on TV. Look carefully before choosing based on price. The differences may not look big, but it could make all the difference.

Hotdog

I love the the hillbilly firepit doesn't pack flat but when you go to bed at night you can put a lid on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190721_151227.jpg
    IMG_20190721_151227.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 16

boobook

have a go at making your own, took some time & a heap of discs for my grinder but pretty happy with how this came up, 5mm mild steel, weighs about 30 kgs, packs up roughly 500 x 500 x 50

View attachment 73479

If you don't mind me asking what hut is that Lars? It looks a bit like Kennedy's hut on the Mitta Mitta. Did you get any trout if so?

lars cordes

If you don't mind me asking what hut is that Lars? It looks a bit like Kennedy's hut on the Mitta Mitta. Did you get any trout if so?
it certainly is kennedys, and yeah we did pretty well on the trout, prob got about 5 keepers (30-35 cms), heaps of undersized ones & 1 carp without really trying too hard, mostly on unattended rods with bells on whilst we sat 20 odd yards away around the fire. all on worms fished on the bottom with a pea sized sinker, tried some lures without success

denk

I have a snowpeak firepit in the largest size. I also got the base plate and canvas bag with it all from Drifta. I've had it a few years now and its been great. No complaints. Easily packed in the wagon also. I should mention i also picked up the grilling accessory for it and I use it frequently in the backyard for open fire bbq's. Great for rib eye on the bone. They were not cheap that is for sure but the quality is good.