Fitting rims onto different wheels

Rackers03

G'day everyone,

I'm probably going to sound like an idiot for asking this but I thought I might as well before i stuff up and blow my money.
I'm looking to upgrade my tires, but what to keep the factory Holden rims that come on the Colorado's (2014 LTZ Storm). Now the factory tyre is a 255x65 R17, and I'm looking to upgrade to possibly 305/65R17's. Now since the rim size is the same and the profile is the same does that mean could I pull off the factory rims and throw that onto the new tyres or would they not fit?

Cheers,
Hugh

discomatt

Rim size will be the least of your problems, it will be illegal ( to much of an increase ) it will increase fuel consumption considerably, it will increase turning circle considerably , it will increase braking distances considerably, it will be gutless off the line and towing.
They are all definite issues, the ones that some will agree with and others will disagree it will give less traction off road and much less traction on wet bitumen.

Triton14

Rim size will be the least of your problems, it will be illegal ( to much of an increase ) it will increase fuel consumption considerably, it will increase turning circle considerably , it will increase braking distances considerably, it will be gutless off the line and towing.
They are all definite issues, the ones that some will agree with and others will disagree it will give less traction off road and much less traction on wet bitumen.
Are you getting this confused with an increase in the radial size vs the width?

Sure the fuel would increase but I thought the other problems you mentioned(braking distance, reduction in torque) were more associated where the diameter of the tyre is increased.

Isnt the saying more tyre width more grip, especially offroad?

@Rackers03 dont know the answer but more than likely you will be rubbing somewhere & if the tyres are outside the rim you will get pinged eventually, the other thing would be that a wide tyre that size would most likely not fit the rim width, you could possibly go 265 & possibly 275 but that would be it.

Speak to a tyre expert!

discomatt

The tire sizes in question there is a 2.5 inch increase in diameter, 30.1 to 32.6, not massive but still above legal requirement of 2 inch maximum.
The question of wide verses narrow is always a both ways discussion....

Colly18

I think you will find the 255/65R17 tyres are on a 17X7" rim (?). I'd suggest you'd need at least an 8" wide rim for 305/65R17 tyres. When measuring legal tyre size you do take the tyre diameter (not radius) and 2" increase is the max. My experience is that the loss of engine performance (acceleration), fuel economy and braking would rule out the proposed tyre size increase.
https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/drivin...-standards-and-modifications/wheels-and-tyres

RBJET

The simple answer is no. They will not fit. Besides all of the other issues you'll come across as others have mentioned.

John U

Sure the fuel would increase but I thought the other problems you mentioned(braking distance, reduction in torque) were more associated where the diameter of the tyre is increased.

@Rackers03 dont know the answer but more than likely you will be rubbing somewhere & if the tyres are outside the rim you will get pinged eventually, the other thing would be that a wide tyre that size would most likely not fit the rim width, you could possibly go 265 & possibly 275 but that would be it.

Speak to a tyre expert!
Wouldn't the increase in the (rotating) mass of the bigger tyre contribute to all the things Matt mentioned?

Rackers03

Speak to a tyre expert!
Yeah, I'm also looking to chuck a 2-3 inch lift on as well cause I don't think they'll fit with the stock suspension

discomatt

legally your only allowed 2 inch lift, being IFS front suspension if you dont change the arms as well as springs you end up with no downward travel and with big tires plus increased CV angle from the lift CV's will also be very fragile

Rackers03

legally your only allowed 2 inch lift, being IFS front suspension if you dont change the arms as well as springs you end up with no downward travel and with big tires plus increased CV angle from the lift CV's will also be very fragile
Yeah I was a little worried on what I can do. So would a 2 inch lift be legal with 31's instead of 33's?

discomatt

Depends what state your in but a good rule of thumb is 2 inch suspension lift, body lift is illegal everywhere ( as far as I know? ) so forget that and a 2 inch overall diameter increase in tires.
Different states have slightly different laws so if you want to stay legal and insured best check your states limits

Noel Preston

265/70x17 will fit and be legal. Optimum rim size is 7.5" but is recommended minimum rim width 7". That will get you from 30.2" to 31.6". Anything wider will require a wider rim.

Last edited:

Rackers03

Depends what state your in but a good rule of thumb is 2 inch suspension lift, body lift is illegal everywhere ( as far as I know? ) so forget that and a 2 inch overall diameter increase in tires.
Different states have slightly different laws so if you want to stay legal and insured best check your states limits
Yup I'm in SA but finding it a little difficult on what I can actually get away with