Fitting a Provent 200 oil catch can

Hi all. I've got a Chip Tuning Provent catch can (came with the Patrol). Works a treat but I don't know how old the filter is and I've just done a 200k service on it so looking to change it out so I know it's good. I'm looking for opinions around the stainless steel replacement filter over the fibre filter. Thoughts?

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
I would stay with the paper ones, think they work better.

Give Robert @Chip Tuning a message and ask if he can do you a good deal on 2.

I did that and was a bit off normal and maybe shipping included.
Can’t remember exactly.

But I had my original in from that ~ 50k, until I changed it recently probably at about 190k.

I had washed it in ULP probably 5 or 6 times up until then, so I will do that now rotating 2 of the new filters so should see me out for a good 200k +, if nothing else gives out on it !!!

mauriceb

Hi all. I've got a Chip Tuning Provent catch can (came with the Patrol). Works a treat but I don't know how old the filter is and I've just done a 200k service on it so looking to change it out so I know it's good. I'm looking for opinions around the stainless steel replacement filter over the fibre filter. Thoughts?
I'm using the stainless steel mesh filter after years of using the rag type. I find it does the same job but so much easier to clean . I soak in petrol and swish it around In the petrol then blow it out with air hose or leave it to dry. Doub if it will ever need replacing .

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll give the SS one a crack and keep eye to how much oil it traps. It looks easier to do a thorough clean on it and maybe a bit less fragile.
Cheers

mauriceb

Now that I have used the gauze filter for over 5000 km it wasn't till I did a run from Qld to VHC with speeds up to 110 km that I saw a problem. The blowby oil mist blows straight thru the filter and out the vent covering the engine bay in a fine mist of oil. Picked up a new original Man filter at Berrima where the diesel tech told me it's a the common problem ,so will be sticking with the original filters.