Fitting a Provent 200 oil catch can

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Following on from this post http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/motors/22266-oil-catch-cans-4.html#post305187 where I secured a Provent 200 oil catch can.
I'm just getting around to fitting it (now I have managed to finish up work . . . again).

Thought I'd post up the process . . .

Worked out today that the best place is probably right where the second battery is normally fitted, but I will likely mount that in the back tray when I get to that little project . . . this location means only an extra ~ 270mm of silicone hose is needed to reach the air intake, the hoses are most direct inline too, and I can even use the original hose to the Provent. Fits nicely with the original clamp.

So, tomorrow (Mon) it's off to pick up some silicone hose (300mm) and a couple of similar clamps.

Ranger's in for a 50k service tomorrow, so Tues I will fab bracket and paint up with matt black, maybe get to fitting the unit too. otherwise Wed will be the day for that (and a clean of MAP / MAF sensors, that will be interesting, and will post that up too).

The bracket will be made using 2mm zinc anneal sheet I have at work, and quite wide / deep to the air cleaner housing so it supports it well, thinking about 4" wide x 3" high footprint.
Will use 2 suitable length bolts / nuts/ spring washers, and loctite, and plenty of Sika under the bracket / around bolts.

To be cointinued . . .

Attachments

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
YEah, a bit like that with some things lol.

Forgot to mention, when I took the hose off the air filter end, inside the hose was quite wet with oil, so I think this little item will make some difference to cleaner intake manifold.

What will be interesting is the MAP clean.
After 50k, I'm quite curious to see what difference this makes and how dirty it is both on the sensor and inside the inlet manifold.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Is yours a turbo les ?
Yes Nick, the standard 3.0lt TDI common rail.
Goes well . . . and might try to fit my chip before Hopes too, though not too fussed about that one.

By all the info I've read on them it will make a big difference Les.
Yes Batts, the Ford Ranger forum on 4WD Action has threads about cleaning them, always mentioned is the noticible results . . . even after 30 or 40k they can be all gummed up.
These are great threads with lots of pics and good notes as well.

The MAF is usually pretty ok as you'd expect, while the MAP is usually buried in gunk, also as you'd expect.
Do it with battery disconnected for up to an hour to reset the ECU learning process after they're cleaned, apparently.

BTFIVO

Damn.... I gotta get onto this one. If the MAF clogs up, what darn good any is that..!!!! I like minimising pollution and "stink", but sometimes the things manufacturers do become a hindrance. I guess in a world of consumerism, they design something to only last so long, then replace it. Shame some of us plan on hangin onto our vehicles a little longer than 50-100,000K's, which by then we'd be replacing half the external components as well as taking out a small mortgage to fund it all. :-/

Same as the "EGR" comment I keep hearing about. I'm not 100% on the modification, but I gotta at least check that out too.

Just to clarify. the oil vapour enters downstream of the MAF BTFIVO. The EGR blanking is a good idea too.

Go to Chip Tuning and at the top on the search bar type in EGR.

Then go down 9 articles to "EGR Blanking" and take a read.

So we don't hijack this thread maybe start a new thread (PM me about it so I know about it please) or just keep it on PM if you have any questions.

Many thanks.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Yeah the MAF is on my air filter housing, which is located after the air bypass, and before the turbo, so mainly gets dust etc, nothing oily like MAP on intake manifold.

Did you see this thread re EGR block ?
http://www.4x4earth.com.au/forum/general-4x4-discussion/24233-who-has-blocked-their-egr.html

Personally I wouldn't go down EGR block or DPF bypass roads due to both being illegal, but will do all I can to improve things with a catch can and regular MAP / MAF cleaning.

While it's debatable what's worse, EGR block and NOS increase, or particles with the EGR operating, better to stay legal I feel.

Last edited:

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
That's an interesting video Robert, I'll take time to watch the whole thing in the next couple of days . . . meanwhile, I finished the catch can install . . .

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Results update

Well, 2 & a bit weeks since install, results in pics below.

Filter is white-ish when new, really showed a bit of colour after 4 or 5 days.
When you stop motor and undo cap straight after, the can is full of oily fumes.

Did a 4 dayer over Anzac weekend with around 600ks of bitumen, maybe 80 or so km offroad tracks / hills driving over 3 of those days (giving it a pretty good run), and a bit around town before and after that trip.

I drained the tap on the end of my 400mm or so long drain hose, and a good teaspoon of oil came out.
I estimate I can drain it about once every 2 months, might do it monthly anyway and put same oil back into motor.

Recommended mod, as this oil will end up through hoses, turbo, and intake manifold, where (along with heat and carbon particles) it will probably cause all sorts of partial blockage issues wth time.

Attachments

dronus

Hi Les,

This is a common mod on patrols and I have had mine fitted from soon after buying the patrol.
It will keep your intercooler and pipework clean as well as the throttle body and inlet manifold.
As chip it mentioned the egr failing closed is beneficial to also keeping your inlet clean, and your egt's down. Hopefully your ecu can handle the adjustment to boost if you block the egr, I have bypassed it and control it manually.
This gives great performance and fuel economy as well as low egts.

Some people even use a check valve that allows the caught oil to drain back into the sump once the crankcase pressure has dropped (ie engine off).

Look forward to hearing your further observations.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Small cup, but might be 1/2 tablespoon in there.
Still, better it is not in my hoses and air intake, that's for sure.
Hi Les, i have a 07 bt50 and been cleaning the map and maf sensors once and they was filthy, i would be interested in seeing closer pics of how u installed the oil catch can as i would like to try and "improve" my fuel consumption as i mostly drive local and get 500km to a tank of diesel, hearing lots of stories how others are getting much more milage so i want to improve my fuel consumption..

have you got any other tips to improve kms per liter?

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi Les, i have a 07 bt50 and been cleaning the map and maf sensors once and they was filthy, i would be interested in seeing closer pics of how u installed the oil catch can as i would like to try and "improve" my fuel consumption as i mostly drive local and get 500km to a tank of diesel, hearing lots of stories how others are getting much more milage so i want to improve my fuel consumption..

have you got any other tips to improve kms per liter?
Sorry shreko, missed you post the other day . . .

I don't know that the oil catch can will improve fuel consumpion, but suppose if it help keep intake manifild and MAP sensor clean, it may well help kep things running smoother . use less fuel.

I went for mounting on the air filter housing because it just worked out the best place, taking into consideration I was full aware of dangers of making holes in the housing, water ingress etc.

However, Sikaflex in / out / between should keep it all aok.
Perimeter sealed it, must have used half a tube :)

Had to custom make the bracket, AND I just realised I didn't post up many of the pics that might help you . . . so other pics attached show hoses, clamps and drain tap bought from Pirtek ($60, proper oil / solvent compatible hose), making the bracket using cardboard cereal packet template, then 1.2mm zinc anneal, primed and painted, oil inside hose to turbo, right angle drill fitting from Bunnings ($15), unit fitted up, drain hose / tap position.

I just got 1050km out of a tank (long range) around town, used 120lt, so getting around 12lt / 100.
Not even sure if the BT50 has the same tank size as Ranger ?
I can't even remeber what my standard Ranger tank size was now.

Attachments