Fishing A-hole of the Year Award

LongRoad2Go

No surprise - the Cronulla Riot was caused by a certain ethnic group disrespecting local/national customs and accepted good behaviour standards. This bloke is no different. Since he is now known to the locals, hope there is some local 'retribution'.

We were taught from a young age to only take one or two plate sized fish for that nights dinner, and return smaller or over-sized fish (breeders). Ditto for muddy and blue swimmer jennies.

I reckon the DPI fish limits are still too high - there is absolutely no need to catch an esky of mixed fish breeds and then take them home to be frozen - pointless because frozen fish is crap.

Albynsw

I reckon the DPI fish limits are still too high - there is absolutely no need to catch an esky of mixed fish breeds and then take them home to be frozen - pointless because frozen fish is crap.

Do you think the recreational fishermen are the issue? I think it is the commercial guys that do the real damagedragging nets across the bottom, the bicatch number must be huge

ComfortablyNumb

No surprise - the Cronulla Riot was caused by a certain ethnic group disrespecting local/national customs and accepted good behaviour standards. This bloke is no different. Since he is now known to the locals, hope there is some local 'retribution'.

We were taught from a young age to only take one or two plate sized fish for that nights dinner, and return smaller or over-sized fish (breeders). Ditto for muddy and blue swimmer jennies.

Yup, agree on all accounts.

I was wondering about the Asian bloke at Husky taking shovel nosed/banjo sharks. I think you are allowed to take them, but do people really eat them?

I would add, it's not just the 'imports' whose fishing behaviour is sh*t (though in my extensive observation, it often is). I was at Forster and saw this old bloke catching luderick on weed. He'd put everything in a bucket (and he had a lot!), then when done, kept the biggest ones and threw the rest (now dead) back. FFS, why not just put the smaller ones back alive right away?

Up here, I've seen young blokes catching trout on lures, dragging them roughly up the bank, then returning them to the water thinking they are doing the right thing. Chances of survival are low. Use a landing net, keep the fish in the net in the water to unhook it, lift and take a quick snap if you want then release. More fish for everyone that way.

discomatt

Do you think the recreational fishermen are the issue? I think it is the commercial guys that do the real damagedragging nets across the bottom, the bicatch number must be huge
I don’t think any recreational fishermen or First Nations who have been criticised for using modern technology or methods have any significant impact of fish numbers, have a look at what the commercial guys pull in especially the illegal fishing from our neighbours who just drag huge nets and bring in every single item from the sea floor up or who pull in huge numbers of species to only cut off a small portion then throw the rest back
As bad as the original topic in this thread is let’s keep it all in perspective

boobook

Up here, I've seen young blokes catching trout on lures, dragging them roughly up the bank, then returning them to the water thinking they are doing the right thing. Chances of survival are low. Use a landing net, keep the fish in the net in the water to unhook it, lift and take a quick snap if you want then release. More fish for everyone that way.

I like to spin occasionally if fly fishing isnt an option for what ever reason, but you are right; treble hooks make a mess of the fish, and you have to limit your catch so you can sensibly eat them. I won't use lures in small remote areas.

boobook

The Andrews Government in Victoria didn't do a lot right, but its fishing policies were fantastic.

Introduce fishing licences for recreational sea fishing
Pour all fishing licences back into reefs, boat ramps and facilities.
Buy back commercial fishing licences in Port Philip Bay and Lakes Entrance.
Increase fresh water stocking 10 fold.
Stonker fishing.

The fish numbers are increasing after years of decline.

Lost1?

NSW started with a similar policy to Dan in the 90's, buying out a number of trawler licence's in Sydney Harbour and creation of a couple of man made reefs. Those who recall kingfish traps and how Sydney Harbour has improved as a fishery now will attest to the improvement. But I am not sure if the funds generated by licence's are being invested onto supporting fishing pursuits these days.

Triton14

The Andrews Government in Victoria didn't do a lot right, but its fishing policies were fantastic.

Introduce fishing licences for recreational sea fishing
Pour all fishing licences back into reefs, boat ramps and facilities.
Buy back commercial fishing licences in Port Philip Bay and Lakes Entrance.
Increase fresh water stocking 10 fold.
Stonker fishing.

The fish numbers are increasing after years of decline.
You have just described the situation in NSW as well but I believe NSW copied the Victorian example.

BUT it all started before Dan even entered politics!

Triton14

NSW started with a similar policy to Dan in the 90's, buying out a number of trawler licence's in Sydney Harbour and creation of a couple of man made reefs. Those who recall kingfish traps and how Sydney Harbour has improved as a fishery now will attest to the improvement. But I am not sure if the funds generated by licence's are being invested onto supporting fishing pursuits these days.
NSW gov/ DPI have bought out pro licenses all over the place not just Sydney harbour.

They have used funds raised from recreational licences to also set up artificial reefs up & down the coast plus many other initiatives like fish stocking of many fish species both fresh & salt.

If your interested-

ComfortablyNumb

NSW gov/ DPI have bought out pro licenses all over the place not just Sydney harbour.

They have used funds raised from recreational licences to also set up artificial reefs up & down the coast plus many other initiatives like fish stocking of many fish species both fresh & salt.

If your interested-

DPI Fisheries have done some great stuff over recent years.

Trout stocking up here in the New England is a bit of a lottery though. Last trout season was the best I've ever seen as the stocking in 2020/21 coincided with excellent rains and crazy fast fish growth. But this season is a dud - too hot, not enough consistent rain. Streams reach levels/temps not consistent with trout survival, then it rains heaps but all too late.

I think the Ebor hatchery sometimes has to dump fish in local streams too if their water gets too low/warm, and often those stocking would be at less than ideal times.

I'll be relocating to the coast (maybe Merimbula) soon anyway, so it will be saltwater fly-fishing for me mostly. I'm loving blackfish on fly.

cam04

I was at Forster and saw this old bloke catching luderick on weed. He'd put everything in a bucket (and he had a lot!), then when done, kept the biggest ones and threw the rest (now dead) back. FFS, why not just put the smaller ones back alive right away?

Old blokes always kept the luderick in a keeper net because if they let one go it would tell all the others (soniferous fish) and they'd go off the bite. Guarantee that's what old mate was up to but in an awfully uneducated and wasteful manner - there are still some of the old brigade near me, they just think that the ocean is endless.

Albynsw

Old blokes always kept the luderick in a keeper net because if they let one go it would tell all the others (soniferous fish) and they'd go off the bite. Guarantee that's what old mate was up to but in an awfully uneducated and wasteful manner - there are still some of the old brigade near me, they just think that the ocean is endless.

I grew up catching blackfish or Niggers as they were known back then and taught by my father and an old mate of his who hand made all his gear , rods, reels, floats, sinkers, nets, swim bags etc, all made in the shed at home. Only ever had to buy line which was Platypus and hooks which were Mustad from Norway.
Right up to the day the old man died a couple of years back he would be often talking in public about catching niggers hahaha. It didn’t have a rascist connotation to him.

cam04

I grew up catching blackfish or Niggers as they were known back then and taught by my father and an old mate of his who hand made all his gear , rods, reels, floats, sinkers, nets, swim bags etc, all made in the shed at home. Only ever had to buy line which was Platypus and hooks which were Mustad from Norway.
Right up to the day the old man died a couple of years back he would be often talking in public about catching niggers hahaha. It didn’t have a rascist connotation to him.
Yes, up until the 90’s they were still calling them niggers in the fishing mags.

ComfortablyNumb

Interesting. I was in a line up with Old Blokes at SW Rocks once, cleaning up on flies and releasing them all, while they were catching on weed. Everyone still kept catching....though I could tell they were not happy about the Muppet with the trout rod catching as many as them :p

Agree about 'endless ocean' (and streams) thinking. Those days are over.

Yes, up until the 90’s they were still calling them niggers in the fishing mags.

I had an Indian bloke at Husky asking what fish I'd just landed. I was about to say 'A Nigger', but went then got a fit of the Wokes and said 'A Blackfish'. He still looked a a bit perturbed. But he took a nice photo with my phone for me then seemed confused I put the fish back.

Triton14

Yep, well not sure about giving it away to the rest of the school but my old man always kept them alive in a keeper net until he was finished for the session.
But I mainly thought is was because you have to kill, bleed, gut & remove the black lining along the rib/backbone all at the same time otherwise it would taint the flavour, just another reason for the keeper net I guess.

Yeh funny how political correctness just crept up on everything that remotely sounded offensive :rolleyes:
To go a long way off thread I used to also enjoy biscuits Arnott's golliwog until some group go offended :rolleyes::rolleyes:

But back to the fishing which is sort of back on topic, dad tried to get me into "luderick" fishing when I was young but at the time to me it was boring & hard to find cabbage plus the breakwall where we fished you only had a short time before the tide ran so it was impossible to keep the float up & down. Also its a finicky set up with the stoppers & the floats/bead sinkers etc.

He used to make his own rods, he used some wooden/bamboo blanks then went to fibreglass. I still have a heap of his old gear, this is just a small sample.

Attachments

• full.jpg
    full.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • Vintage hooks.jpg
    Vintage hooks.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:

ComfortablyNumb

But back to the fishing which is sort of back on topic, dad tried to get me into "luderick" fishing when I was young but at the time to me it was boring & hard to find cabbage plus the breakwall where we fished you only had a short time before the tide ran so it was impossible to keep the float up & down. Also its a finicky set up with the stoppers & the floats/bead sinkers etc.

He used to make his own rods, he used some wooden/bamboo blanks then went to fibreglass. I still have a heap of his old gear, this is just a small sample.

Yup, fly fishing for blackfish using weed flies is much simpler, once you learn to cast a fly rod. Couple of weed flies below a NZ Strike Indicator and off you go.

Those old bamboo rods probs worth a few $'s now. Some old bamboo fly rods are worth thousands.

I also have some of those hooks in little cardboard boxes given to me by a woman whose father died. He had bamboo fly rods too but they threw those in the tip :oops:

cam04

Interesting. I was in a line up with Old Blokes at SW Rocks once, cleaning up on flies and releasing them all, while they were catching on weed. Everyone still kept catching....though I could tell they were not happy about the Muppet with the trout rod catching as many as them :p

Agree about 'endless ocean' (and streams) thinking. Those days are over.

I had an Indian bloke at Husky asking what fish I'd just landed. I was about to say 'A Nigger', but went then got a fit of the Wokes and said 'A Blackfish'. He still looked a a bit perturbed. But he took a nice photo with my phone for me then seemed confused I put the fish back.
Reminds me of a trip to Fraser a lot of years ago, around 2003/4 when braid was just coming on the scene. I towed the boat up to Waddy point on Fraser for a big week of offshore fishing only to have the engine throw a throttle position sensor code. After a couple of days of moping about we grabbed a couple of spin sticks and waded into the lineup of old bastards in yellow coats throwing pillies on 13 ft rods and started laying into some tailor with them. It took them some time to work out we weren’t complete tourists and give us a little space. Pic of that trip when the lux was pretty new.
And for luderick we used to drive to point Cartwright for the weed, then down the ‘pin for the fishing.

IMG_0001.jpeg

Albynsw

Yep, well not sure about giving it away to the rest of the school but my old man always kept them alive in a keeper net until he was finished for the session.
But I mainly thought is was because you have to kill, bleed, gut & remove the black lining along the rib/backbone all at the same time otherwise it would taint the flavour, just another reason for the keeper net I guess.

Yeh funny how political correctness just crept up on everything that remotely sounded offensive :rolleyes:
To go a long way off thread I used to also enjoy biscuits Arnott's golliwog until some group go offended :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just saw the price tag on one of your boxes of hooks Mick Simmons , they were at Hurstville and I used to buy most of my gear there back then.
My father had never fished fir any species other than Blackfish until I was in my early teens and wanted to fish for “ normal “ fish haha.

Likewise I always thought you kept the fish in a swimbag to preserve their eating qualities

cam04

I have no illusions that the stories these old blokes tell are inaccurate. But the ‘not returning them until you are done fishing’ is one I’ve heard on numerous occasions. I’ve seen studies on soniferous fish (mullet being netted north of the Noosa river). It is well known that the Teewah beach fishing shuts down for days after the netters have been anywhere along there. Just reinforces how little we actually know I suppose. I have no opinion about returning luderick other than I’m surely not going to kill any in a bucket just so I can kill more.

Albynsw

Yup, fly fishing for blackfish using weed flies is much simpler, once you learn to cast a fly rod. Couple of weed flies below a NZ Strike Indicator and off you go.

Those old bamboo rods probs worth a few $'s now. Some old bamboo fly rods are worth thousands.

I also have some of those hooks in little cardboard boxes given to me by a woman whose father died. He had bamboo fly rods too but they threw those in the tip :oops:

I have zero fly fishing experience but curious how do you go using fly gear for Ludrick as in there is no casting required and you traditionally fish at a set predetermined depth?