First impressions GMC Sierra

Chatty

I like very much. Now to win lotto and hook it up to a Zone :)
With that power, low range and locking rear, I doubt much would stop the beast, except as you say, its size. Reckon it would be bellying out on top of some of those Simmo dunes.
Guessing it has a DPF? Where is it situated?
Tink
Unfortunately it's a yes on the DPF and virtually impossible to delete as the ECU programming is locked down by a vehicle specific PIN that only a dealer can get from GM.
The good news is that the DPF is up high between the chassis rails, so hard to damage.

We are getting a new van in March/April with a 4.5t ATM - hence the need for the GMC.

Chatty

Very nice indeed mate.
Other than parking spaces, and city driving, have you found any other downsides to owning a beast that size ?
Not size related, but it's the first black vehicle I've owned and I love the look, but not sure I would go black again ;)

But really struggling to find much of a downside to the GMC.
The thing we have really noticed is that U-Turns are a thing of the past on most roads - even in the country. The turning circle is somewhat larger than an aircraft carrier and that will obviously impact bush driving a bit too. Around town we usually choose to go around the block rather than attempting a u-turn.

The upside of the size is the vision (you sit very high) and the sheer massiveness of the interior room.

You obviously can't walk into Repco and buy parts, but the converters here carry the usual stuff (filters, etc) and everything else is a few days air freight from the States.

For us, the main thing has been the attention it gets. You can't pull up anywhere without people staring and wanting to talk about it.

cam04

No idea - just going off the payload numbers on the HSV website. I would have thought that if it was a licence thing the specs would indicate a higher rating for rigid truck licences but it doesn't.
HSV use 4491kg as the gvm less kerb weight gives the payload. The US figures for the same models are higher but not by a lot on the light duty models.
Definitely anything over 4495 kg gvm is a truck license here which hamstrings the bigger toys somewhat. I have a derated 3.5t canter for towing a bobcat on a car license and have done the derating exercise. Ram trucks will sell you the same model registered either way. I haven’t checked the others, not in that market.

Not size related, but it's the first black vehicle I've owned and I love the look, but not sure I would go black again ;)

But really struggling to find much of a downside to the GMC.
The thing we have really noticed is that U-Turns are a thing of the past on most roads - even in the country. The turning circle is somewhat larger than an aircraft carrier and that will obviously impact bush driving a bit too. Around town we usually choose to go around the block rather than attempting a u-turn.

The upside of the size is the vision (you sit very high) and the sheer massiveness of the interior room.

You obviously can't walk into Repco and buy parts, but the converters here carry the usual stuff (filters, etc) and everything else is a few days air freight from the States.

For us, the main thing has been the attention it gets. You can't pull up anywhere without people staring and wanting to talk about it.
I can see how doin a "blockie" would be the go, bobs one big beast.

Looking at the interior pic's the convertors did a fine job, looks factory, very well appointed and plenty of room to swing a port barrel, ha.

Looking forward to the next time we catch up as i intend to be one of those people coming up to check it out.

Very tidy mate, looks the goods. Keep us updated with how it goes. I think there's going to be a big shift to yank tanks like this in the next decade, for those towing anything substantial.

Aaron

discomatt

Where do you go for servicing? I haven't seen a lot of GMC dealers around...
As Brian said, that interior and conversion look great.
I will also be in the line of people wanting a gander

Chatty

Where do you go for servicing? I haven't seen a lot of GMC dealers around...
As Brian said, that interior and conversion look great.
I will also be in the line of people wanting a gander
Servicing can be done by any competent diesel mechanic - especially truck mechanics as it basically a truck. The Duramax engine is a GM/Isuzu truck engine and the Allison gearbox is a truck gearbox, so servicing isn't that hard to arrange.
I just carry a complete filter set with me so I can have it serviced without fuss.