First impressions GMC Sierra

Chatty

As likely the only Sierra owner on here, I thought I would post a quick review about the first three months of owning Bob. Terminology first - the Yanks call these things trucks and I find it hard to argue with them on that branding. We might call them utes here in Oz, but these things are not utes...

Let's start by saying, the Yanks may stuff up a few things, but by crikey they know how to build a truck (ute, whatever you want to call it) - the level of finish is better than any ute, light commercial, whatever out there. It makes the LC200 look and feel like a cart by comparison (sorry LC owners - but it's the truth - I've got a mate with a 6 month old LC200 and he won't talk about it now).
The cabin is fantastic, incredibly quiet on the road (although you can still here the V8 bellow) seats are comfortable, everything works as it should and the doors close with a satisfying thud. Seats are incredibly comfortable and have about 145 degrees of adjustment - 700km a day with the van on is easy, 1,000km a day without the van just as easy.

Underneath, this thing is built like a tank - the philosophy seems to be "If it needs a 16mm bolt - use a 20mm instead". Massive chassis, the towbar is made from 100mm steel tube and bolted up with about 10 20mm bolts each side - the driveline is huge. Everything smacks of overkill and being hard to break.

On the road, this thing is a beast. When we got it, it was hard to start from the lights without the back end wanting to break traction and step out - a bit of weight in the back fixed that.
Towing is a dream - engage tow mode and our current 3.5t van feels like it isn't even there most of the time, hills simply cease to exist - going up hill it will quite happily sit on the speed limit, even on the Roller Coaster and the climb out of Adelaide on the SE Freeway, without the water temperature or transmission temperature rising (did I say it has built in transmission readout for towing?). Downhill, turn on the exhaust brake (yes, like a truck!) and it simply burbles (well, almost bellows) it's way downhill without needing to touch the brakes - all 8t or so. Overtaking with the van on - well Trish decided to overtake a road train (uphill) one day - when she got level with the prime mover she looked at the speedo which was reading 145 km/h :eek:.

Taking off from traffic lights is hilarious - people pull up beside you in Audis, BMWs, whatever, obviously thinking "It's a ute - I'll be able to beat that off from the lights" - well, think again - it's fun watching them pulling in behind you when the left lane ends...

Parking requires some planning. It's high (about 2,100mm or 7 feet) - so a lot of undercroft car parks are out of the question. It's wide, but will fit in a normal car park width, just with a little less room each side. But it's long, very long - usually we park so that the tail hangs into the car spot behind us, but if that's not possible you have to pick a spot where the front overhanging into the traffic lane of the carpark won't be an issue.

But it's time consuming. o_O
Park in Bunnings and there's a never-ending stream of blokes who want to come and ask about it. Pull up at the diesel pump and people have to ask about it and how much fuel it uses. Every caravan park we get people knocking at our door wanting to ask about it and how good is it as a tow vehicle.
RBTs - prior to getting Bob we were very rarely stopped at an RBT. Now? Every. Flipping. One. And it always seem to be when Trish is driving and every cop comes up and says "Gee, that's a big truck for a little lady!":rolleyes:

The 6.6 litre V8 Duramax (diesel) engine is simply awesome and the Allison 8 speed transmission suits it perfectly.
Fuel consumption I hear you ask? Well, most of the time it's using less than Maj the Paj. Towing 3.5t at the speed limit (none of this 90 km/h BS for us!) he's drinking around 18-22 l/100km, depending on terrain. Open road without the van - around 12 l/100km on non-freeway, up-and-down-hill country road type stuff. Freeway running, about 9 l/100km.
But, being honest, he doesn't like city stop-start stuff. In the city the numbers are truly terrifying, but then that's not what we bought him for.

Attachments

Chatty

By the way - the 4th photo (Trish looking over the bonnet) - Trish is standing at full height and, if anything, may have been stretching a little...

ROXY

Very nice. I think my Dmax could park in the back of it. Nice truck/ute/tank/weapon.

Chatty

Oh, and I forgot to say - for towing there is an integrated electric brake controller which senses pedal pressure to determine the amount of van braking. When you couple a van the truck stability control compensates for the van and will correct van sway by using the vehicle brakes, accelerator, etc.
With the van on, the reversing camera comes on when you hit the brakes for a few seconds - so you can visually check that the coupling and drawbar are fine and it even senses if the van plug (7 or 12 pin) has become disconnected and warns you with a message in the display...

D

Deleted member 69390

Do they have the same miserable 875kg load carrying capacity as the HSV Chev Silverado?

Chatty

Do they have the same miserable 875kg load carrying capacity as the HSV Chev Silverado?
No, mine's 1.1t I believe without towing. If you want more than that then you need to go to the 3500 (twin rear wheels)

discomatt

Great review, pretty impressive truck !!
Is it 4wd with low range? From new what is the warranty time and km?
Those fuel figures are brilliant, I have spoken to 200 owners that allow 22-25 when towing big van and that's at 90-95km/h.
Can you please post up some interior photos when you get a chance.

cam04

Correct me if I am wrong but that is only related to the 4495kg max GVM for a C class license/rego in this country. If you want to register and drive them as a light rigid truck they revert back to the much more accomodating American payload figures? They are derated on paper only I believe as per a 3.5t truck being derated to 1.5t for car licensed drivers.

Albynsw

Sounds impressive, I met up with a guy with a F truck up north last trip and he gets 20litres/100 k towing his van or not, he also has a 200 that uses 20 when towing but better than that without the van.
You sound like you are doing a lot better than that

D

Deleted member 69390

Correct me if I am wrong but that is only related to the 4495kg max GVM for a C class license/rego in this country. If you want to register and drive them as a light rigid truck they revert back to the much more accomodating American payload figures? They are derated on paper only I believe as per a 3.5t truck being derated to 1.5t for car licensed drivers.
No idea - just going off the payload numbers on the HSV website. I would have thought that if it was a licence thing the specs would indicate a higher rating for rigid truck licences but it doesn't.

Chatty

Great review, pretty impressive truck !!
Is it 4wd with low range? From new what is the warranty time and km?
Those fuel figures are brilliant, I have spoken to 200 owners that allow 22-25 when towing big van and that's at 90-95km/h.
Can you please post up some interior photos when you get a chance.
No probs Matt, I'll take some photos in the morning for you.
Yes, proper 4WD with low range and locking rear diff, but you can't use 4WD high range on sealed roads.
Warranty is 7 years, unlimited km

Chatty

Sounds impressive, I met up with a guy with a F truck up north last trip and he gets 20litres/100 k towing his van or not, he also has a 200 that uses 20 when towing but better than that without the van.
You sound like you are doing a lot better than that
Yeah Alby, I've heard the F trucks are like that with fuel.

Chatty

Hows it go off road ??
Haven't personally had a chance yet. I've met two people who've taken then across the Simpson and said they performed flawlessly.
I've spoken on a forum with a couple of people who say they're fine off road, but the width is an issue on tight tracks and the ramp over suffers due to the long length.

Tink

I like very much. Now to win lotto and hook it up to a Zone :)
With that power, low range and locking rear, I doubt much would stop the beast, except as you say, its size. Reckon it would be bellying out on top of some of those Simmo dunes.
Guessing it has a DPF? Where is it situated?
Tink