Fine dust still getting through air filters ?

Batts88

You've tried 2 different filters and getting the same thing happening that sounds odd and is that definitely on the clean side of the filter ? If so you may need to try and check if the filters are sealing around the edge of the filter box correctly & thoroughly check the box for small cracks as well that could be leaking. May also need to check all connections before the filter are sealed, if the lid had a rubber or foam seal it's not perished or has signs of dust getting past it does it have a dust bowl on the bottom of the box that's not sealed properly.

the dirtier the K&N the more it cleans , most people clean them too much

i race off road, we all ran oiled filters of some sort (the best were Uni filters, with a filter sock fitted over top)
i used to oil them up and have to change the sock every section as it was blocked up, then we started oiling the sock on the inside instead of the outside and we could go the whole race
the guys that ban the K & N filters were forever dusting their engines !!!!

run the factory filter , they cost a bit more, but how much is your engine worth /? mine is around $10k

Ziggy

On my MUX the OE is a pleated paper panel filter and the gasket doesn't seal properly allowing blow-by. That's common enough with eg outback dust that gets down to 5 microns or smaller. The result was worse than the OPer's. That can trash engines.

The Unifilter replacement has a much thicker gasket and over 20k kms there's been no visible blow-by.

Sean Logue

the dirtier the K&N the more it cleans , most people clean them too much

i race off road, we all ran oiled filters of some sort (the best were Uni filters, with a filter sock fitted over top)
i used to oil them up and have to change the sock every section as it was blocked up, then we started oiling the sock on the inside instead of the outside and we could go the whole race
the guys that ban the K & N filters were forever dusting their engines !!!!

run the factory filter , they cost a bit more, but how much is your engine worth /? mine is around $10k
Factory filter it is then...Cheers

Rubber grease around the seals is a good idea too, and take your time when installing the filters to make sure there is no kinks and the clamps are all done up well. Easy to not do it carefully and cause costly repairs down the line.

Aaron

cam04

Not the first Toyota panel filter box I've seen looking like that. Nearly exactly a year ago my mate's 200 TD let go on our easter trip - dusted because the plastic housing doesn't clamp down properly. Cost him a fair bit more than $10k for that exercise.

Batts88

Would be interesting to see the results after you've had the factory filter for a while without doing any other changes. I've never had dust get past a filter anything like your pics show be it factory or Ryco or K&N.

dno67

I think you'll find some replacement filters, the foam seal around the filter is a little bit smaller than an OME. I've had one on a (commodore) let some dust past it and found that when I clamped the top down I moved the filter slightly of centre allowing a small amount of dust pass the filter seal. Now always very careful to centre the filter and not move it when replacing the lid, haven't had any troubles since.

I think you'll find some replacement filters, the foam seal around the filter is a little bit smaller than an OME. I've had one on a (commodore) let some dust past it and found that when I clamped the top down I moved the filter slightly of centre allowing a small amount of dust pass the filter seal. Now always very careful to centre the filter and not move it when replacing the lid, haven't had any troubles since.
Well that is the case here between the Ryco and the K&N. I should have said before I used the K&N for 4WDriving and put the Ryco one in when I was home cleaning the K&N.
Found that the Ryco had way better seal and was tight clamping it down , I can see now how fine dust would have been coming through the seal of the K&N , its in the bin now... Factory filter only 10 bucks more then Ryco , ill go back to that after I test this one.

Photo 27-3-18, 11 51 14 am
by Sean Logue, on Flickr

Batts88

Now you have provided info stating you got it out of the shed as I thought you may have just lifted the lid and taken a pic.

I expect that you have or are going to contacted K&N about the faulty filter element for a refund as they do have warranty on their products and show the pics of the dust that may have entered the engine possible causing premature damage which might need inspecting I know I would and not just bin it.