Family Camping

phs

Hi,

New to family camping in years past ( pre kids ) we would find camping spots a far away and only big enough for our group never had any problems with people rolling up or carrying on.

So it seems camping spots more suitable for kids ( not 10 hours into the middle of no where ) are prone to idiots carrying on and rolling up at all hours of the night, a friend was up at rubicon valley earlier this year with his young kids, cars rolling up 2-3am trees getting cut down in the middle of the night ect.......

We just got back from Canunda NP we had booked the camp sites for our club over 4 days pre paid online a month ago, at 2:30am we woke up to a group of three 4wds setting up in one of our spots.... shouting and carrying on ect. I went over and had a chat being as polite as possible they had a Sook and eventually moved on but what gives is this the future for camping ?

CaptainBanana

I've only really started camping again recently because I I have been doing the caravan thing for a long time. My simple plan of attack is not to find the best campsites on the nicest river or with the best views but to find the smallest campsite where no one else can fit.

Last edited:

sharkcaver

I wrote on FB today on a post where someone who booked an online only campsite, arrived to find his site taken and the people responsible nowhere to be seen. It's only a matter of time before someone challenges one of these drongo's and gets hurt. Such is the moral of today's society.

Society has gone to sh1t. All these self righteous Karens and Kevins in this world just make me want to go where others dont.

discomatt

When our kids were coming camping with us we always pulled them out of school then went away out of any peak time.
Less campers to ruin the holiday , the kids always did some school work with keeping a daily diary, studying nature and the environment they always learnt more in 2-3 weeks camping than at school, we did that all the way through to year 10 without issue. School is not as important in a childs development and education as what some would think.

boobook

On weekends I leave at 5AM on Friday to get to a spot before midday, otherwise, it's a fight. Victoria doesn't have prebooking ( except big popular spots) so it's first in, first serve. I think you have to drive 5 hours plus for most spots in good weather.

After Easter, you almost get the high country to yourself. That's the good news plus not all tracks close.

I know Victoria is considering Qld / NSW style pre-booking. It's going to happen IMHO. There are some upsides but as PHS says there needs to be some policing and recourse for people who hog spots.

Last edited:

Albynsw

Not interested in sharing with others and always look for remote campsites
Probably our biggest attraction to the outback is the remoteness and isolation plus the locals haven’t been exposed to our current society

CTL

I wrote on FB today on a post where someone who booked an online only campsite, arrived to find his site taken and the people responsible nowhere to be seen. It's only a matter of time before someone challenges one of these drongo's and gets hurt. Such is the moral of today's society.

Society has gone to sh1t. All these self righteous Karens and Kevins in this world just make me want to go where others dont.
Go up to Cape York during the school holidays and see the arguments between people who had booked sites and those who just rocked up and set up in their spots. The bogans who don’t give a rats are not adverse to a friendly punch on. Just no respect anymore. Just self entitlement.

phs

If People want to roll up at camp in the middle of the night and party till dawn, all to them but why do they insist on doing it at main camp grounds.

They are happy drive until 2am surly they can find a spot that’s not already full of sleeping campers.

phs

Go up to Cape York during the school holidays and see the arguments between people who had booked sites and those who just rocked up and set up in their spots. The bogans who don’t give a rats are not adverse to a friendly punch on. Just no respect anymore. Just self entitlement.

If the state governments want to have bookings for camp groups they need a way of managing them if not they should just scrap it altogether and just run first in best dressed

sharkcaver

Yeah the cape was the first major place I know where this online booking system started. Without a caretaker/ranger onsite, its going to be a bunfight. WA's parks and wildlife are slowly introducing this system over here. I see blackeyes and upset kids a comin'.

Swaggie

Yeah the cape was the first major place I know where this online booking system started. Without a caretaker/ranger onsite, its going to be a bunfight. WA's parks and wildlife are slowly introducing this system over here. I see blackeyes and upset kids a comin'.

Yep Government just rake in the $$$$ and not have to deal with the carnage.

Wara

when you arrive at camp, go round all the other camps with a few bags of sugar. Should keep the other campers away

phs

New to the whole booking thing, never visited these “ designated camp grounds “ prior to kids definitely seems like waste of time.

looks like the kids are going to have to suck up some longer trips to some of our reguLar spots

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
If the state governments want to have bookings for camp groups they need a way of managing them if not they should just scrap it altogether and just run first in best dressed

Flinders Ranges is now pre-book, bad luck if you arrive late from the outback as they have removed all the Iron Rangers, apparently they were getting stolen all the time - sure I believe that as well as flying pigs, they were made out of >3mm steel plate concreted into the ground.

Fortunately I had a sat phone and called home so my son could book online on my behalf, doing the right thing., along came a Volunteer Ranger the next day who disagreed that I was there the night before and then wanted to engage on the online booking system telling me about the stolen Iron Rangers, I politely disagreed given I had been going to the Flinders well before the Iron Rangers but once introduced never saw any damage or attempted damage to them, heck I reckon you could winch off them..

The spot where we were camped was / is normally chock a block with visitors particularly given that it was school holidays but alas we had the place to ourselves apart from one other camper who left after the VR had a word.

The online system makes travel to these areas very difficult and if I was a sceptic, they just don't want visitors so they can justify shutting it down.

cheers

Reactions: phs

cam04

We camp with kids and often a dog these days and my eyes have been opened to the delights of private properties. We are just back from 4 days in the Caldera region around Nimbin. 3500 acre property, 4WD tracks, dams to canoe on, Tweed river running through it etc etc. We paid a premium compared to a NP., but they cap their numbers to 20 groups and there are warning signs about noise etc on the way in. It appeared we were with like minded campers who were there for the right reasons. I’ll be doing more of that styled camping in the future. No, I’m not telling where we were haha.