Factory Bullbar converted to winch compatable??

BTFIVO

Hi all,

Im curious as to whether a 2012 BT50 Mazda factory bullbar can be made winch compatible successfully somehow? Can some fabrication be done, has anyone done this on previous 4x4's in the past..??

Regards

BTFIVO

Well, I went and looked at an ARB, and mine looks exactly like one, except no webbing welded internally. But everything else is the same as well as how its mounted and gauge thickness of the steel. So I will go again to view and copy where they have installed webbing as well as mounting plates for the winch. Might turn out half decent after all and save myself a couple grand..!!

Saru

I've got an entirely new bullbar for winch.
It was hard to find the right guy to make the necessary mods for the non-compatible bullbar. And what about the warranty? A heavy and powerful winch needs a sturdy support.
Consider these things before.

Last edited:
Is there a chance you can mount a winch cradle behind the bullbar, between the chassis rails. I have an alloy bullbar on my 03 Patrol and found a cradle that mounts behind the bar. Just had to cut the 3 middle bars from the bullbar for the cable.

Swaggie

I've got an entirely new bullbar for winch.
It was hard to find the right guy to make the necessary mods for the non-compatible bullbar. .

Yep there's a reason for that he doesn't want it coming back to bite him in the ass big time...

Not to mention the air bag compatibility issue, bullbars are designed around this and if they don't work because of a modified bullbar by you they (T. A. C) may not pay if you have a big accident and the Police report says a modified Bullbar stopped the air bags from deploying. Lets hope it's not needed but you never know and I don't know if it could affect your vehicle insurance in anyway too...

Neddysmith

Yeah i have looked into this a couple of times and both times came to conclusion that it is easier and more sensible to buy a new winch compatible bullbar and sell my existing non winch compatible bullbar to make up some of the costs.

Even my mate who is a fitter and turner said he COULD do it, but suggested it would be easier, cheaper and most likely safer in the long to get one already made, unless he was to make a winch bar from scratch.

BTFIVO

Yeah, I was lucky to find a buyer for my original unit, so just sold it and scored a brand new ARB delux bar for $1200 fitted. :eek: While he was at it, I saw an Ironman 12,000lb monster winch to which I had fitted to prevent further un-needed cost in the future. So not bad... bar + winch fitted for $2200. :D

Last edited:

jhunt

My mate has a 06 hilux, he bought a bracket from the 4x4 show that cost him $50, we fitted his winch in about 6hours, still has the airbag set with no monds to the bullbar, this is if you have the room behind the bullbar.

prawns

My old "non airbag" Paj has a alloy TJM bullbar on it which can have a winch fitted - but only if you purchase their metal plate - which goes behind the bullbar to spread the weight across the bar better

Didnt sound like too good a idea to me (not that I have the $$ anyway) I assume some other brands do a similar thing though?

Just a FYI incase somebody else on here reads this and wants to try it (be easy to make your own metal rectangular plate I reckon - but dont come crying to me if your bullbar gets a big hole in it and the winch falls on the ground with half your bullbar still attached :D - I dont trust that idea personally)

Knoxy133

Where abouts did u find your winch cradle deathsbreeze as i have same vehicle as yours and would be interested putting a winch on

rangey308

I fitted a new ironman deluxe commercial colour coded bullbar to my 2013 bt 50 1400 fitted.saved me a grand v the arb one very happy with it

BTFIVO

I fitted a new ironman deluxe commercial colour coded bullbar to my 2013 bt 50 1400 fitted.saved me a grand v the arb one very happy with it

The Ironman bar looks very similar anyway and good at that. Good value. If I end up with the 76 series I'm going to try my luck with a Xrox. I will miss the added protection of a delux bar but this time I want something light but strong and not have to install heavy duty suspension.