F100 GTHO phase 3 cobra

CaptainBanana

Are they the same car?

Yeah it's a bit of a long story but I drove it around for about 3 years when I was 20 and then I took it into a professional painter to respray it as I wasn't happy with my original paint job which we did at home. As it turns out he was a meth user and turned the car into a mess which is how it sat for the next almost 20 years in my garage.

typhoeus

Yeah it's a bit of a long story but I drove it around for about 3 years when I was 20 and then I took it into a professional painter to respray it as I wasn't happy with my original paint job which we did at home. As it turns out he was a meth user and turned the car into a mess which is how it sat for the next almost 20 years in my garage.
Well thats a bit sad. Similar experiences have made me more likely to have a go at doing things myself than trusting others. When Ive trusted others and it goes wrong i get p****d at myself for it.

CaptainBanana

Yeah it’s unfortunate mate I did plan to do it again but life got in the way and then I decided to go travelling and didn’t have anywhere to store it and thought I’ll cash in before it gets parked in someone’s backyard and rusts away.

Barra GU

This is what I got more than 30k for. I had a bedroom full of parts I'd collected in my teens and early 20s that netted thousands and thousands more.

The funny thing is in the 90s coupes were at wreckers literally stacked one on top another waiting the crusher. Mine was soo good in terms of rust It sold to a bloke north of Noosa but I had people fly from all over Australia to view it....buyers are serious.

View attachment 63601 View attachment 63602 View attachment 63603 View attachment 63604 View attachment 63605 View attachment 63606
Damn... does it make you sad that you sold it? Here i am hoping to own one..... one day fingers crossed

CaptainBanana

Damn... does it make you sad that you sold it? Here i am hoping to own one..... one day fingers crossed

It does a little, I owned it 25 years and built it from a burned out shell to what you see above. The sad part wasn't selling it but letting that prick ruin it. It was the only time I paid someone to paint a car of mine, I've painted all cars since myself but no longer can be bothered. I don't think I have enough time to own another muscle car.

Spooner

Definitely loving this topic.

Spooner dont know if i ever mentioned it to you before but the old man had a 75 xb coupe which he only sold 6 years ago.

They would have to be my favourite cars of all time.

I regularly jump on gumtree and car sales looking for something i can buy.
Last night a friend told me there was a coupe for sale for 6k. Domt know the condition but infreaked out...

I have been even looking for 4 doors as they are more affordable but still fetch good money...
It was all good fun back then and still super expensive to get them up to scratch and performing well .
A lot of people wax lyrical of the XC 1-2 Bathurst Victory.
The Cobra was the 1st Paint & Trim Sticker pack job by Ford .
In reality they were the last years XB's with XC front panels fitted lol , a lot of people don't know this fact ;)

XC Bathurst.jpeg

Spooner

Any original Ford built HO Windsor or Clevo engine , does not sound like anything else on earth,
Other than a Merlin powered P-51 Mustang.
They don't idle they spit :)
It's quite funny really as to the changing times , when it's all highly overrated engine outputs stated are the norm.
But back then they down played them on paper by a long way ;)

HO Bathurst.jpeg

CaptainBanana

Buyer must have been a Meth user as well lol :)

It went into my garage around 2003 and was dry stored up until 6 weeks prior to selling it's at the end of 2016. Keep in mind when it went into the garage it was largely rust free as well as it had literally only been on the road 3 years after being built from the ground up. Contrary to how it looks in the primer and those photos it was actually very straight and largely rust free certainly compared to most of what you see at the moment. It also had new suspension new 9 inch diff, diff centre new disc brakes etcetera etcetera

I know it could be hard to believe but that's what all these things go for now. I was looking the other day and peanuts are trying to sell XY GT look alikes for $70,000 and $80,000 which is a joke.

Spooner

It went into my garage around 2003 and was dry stored up until 6 weeks prior to selling it's at the end of 2016. Keep in mind when it went into the garage it was largely rust free as well as it had literally only been on the road 3 years after being built from the ground up. Contrary to how it looks in the primer and those photos it was actually very straight and largely rust free certainly compared to most of what you see at the moment. It also had new suspension new 9 inch diff, diff centre new disc brakes etcetera etcetera

I know it could be hard to believe but that's what all these things go for now. I was looking the other day and peanuts are trying to sell XY GT look alikes for $70,000 and $80,000 which is a joke.

Good luck to you mate , the market will only bear what people are willing to pay . That's a win all round ! :)
Ive got lots of genuine NOS and mint wrecker pulled GT parts that I bought cheap and stacked away as part of my self managed super fund ;)
One day I will hope to see a good return on them .

CaptainBanana

Good luck to you mate , the market will only bear what people are willing to pay . That's a win all round ! :)
Ive got lots of genuine NOS and mint wrecker pulled GT parts that I bought cheap and stacked away as part of my self managed super fund ;)
One day I will hope to see a good return on them .

That's exactly what I did. To give you an idea I sold bent tail light housings for $330 with no lenses

discomatt

That's exactly what I did. To give you an idea I sold bent tail light housings for $330 with no lenses
MMM nice, I have a few GT and Monaro parts stashed away.
When I was an apprentice panel beater the older brother of a mate offered me his clapped out old XY GT HO that was full of rust, leaking oil everywhere and blowing smoke for $2500 with all matching numbers.
Sadly at that stage I would rather a bag of sun shine and a good bottle of scotch so sadly said no thanks:mad::mad::mad::confused::confused::confused::confused:

typhoeus

MMM nice, I have a few GT and Monaro parts stashed away.
When I was an apprentice panel beater the older brother of a mate offered me his clapped out old XY GT HO that was full of rust, leaking oil everywhere and blowing smoke for $2500 with all matching numbers.
Sadly at that stage I would rather a bag of sun shine and a good bottle of scotch so sadly said no thanks:mad::mad::mad::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Sigh! Stories of missed opportunities. . I too had a chance to buy one back in 1984 or so. Could have had nice red GTHO with a blown clutch for $5k from a housemate. Unfortunately i didnt have the funds. Shortly after a guy pulled up with a trailer and cash made an offer & took it away. . . :(

Triton14

I have no idea where this thread is going or intended to go but my old man had a old F100 when I was about 12 years old which was I believe a 302 Cleveland.
Ex police truck bought at auction.

It was written off in a somewhat mild accident but if kept straight would still be a great car now.

If I was able to have it now I can just think about putting some sort of big Holley on it with some extractors & some fat tyres.

Then again, some things are just best kept all original but I also think that went out a long time ago.

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder :)