F100 GTHO phase 3 cobra

About 20 years ago, in Cairns, a friend of mine purchased an old 1976 long wheel base 2wd style side F100 Custom. Only. . . It looked as though some petrol head lair had tried to spruce it up, affixing "Cobra" badges in place of the" custom" ones. The motor and entire engine bay were encrusted with grease and bulldust. As my mate gradually cleaned up the old beast, a more mechanically astute friend of his, pointed out, that the big 351, had 4v heads on it - further investigation revealed that the motor was indeed, a phase 3 hoey! A little while down the track, a bloke at the pub ( allways a reliable font of information, accuracy, however often proves to be inconsistent) related to me, that the last 250 or so, were dropped into F100 s, with about 12 comming over to Australia in right hand drive - all badged up as F100 Cobras I was wondering if any other readers had seen or heard of this, because once restored. . . . They were a beast to behold

Last edited:
About 20 years ago, in Cairns, a friend of mine purchased an old 1976 long wheel base 2wd style side F100 Custom. Only. . . It looked as though some petrol head lair had tried to spruce it up, affixing "Cobra" badges in place of the" custom" ones. The motor and entire engine bay were encrusted with grease and bulldust. As my mate gradually cleaned up the old beast, a more mechanically astute friend of his, pointed out, that the big 351, had 4v heads on it - further investigation revealed that the motor was indeed, a phase 3 hoey! A little while down the track, a bloke at the pub ( allways a reliable font of information, accuracy, however often proves to be inconsistent) related to me, that the last 250 or so, were dropped into F100 s, with about 12 comming over to Australia in right hand drive - all badged up as F100 Cobras I was wondering if any other readers had seen or heard of this, because once restored. . . . They were a beast to behold

dno67

You might have more luck on a ford forum or maybe a ford facebook page like "fast fords"
or similar.
Be intrested in what you come up with.

CaptainBanana

The 4v heads were available on quite a few motors up to around '73, not so rare. Also they were too big on the intake ports and had very low airspeed which made them quite rubbish in the street Motors. I had a set that were stupidly ported back in the early 2000's, they motor needed to be spun too close to 8000 rpm via a large solid cam to be of any real use. To build a Cleveland that can be spun to 8000 rpm is a very very expensive proposition. Even stock 4vs on the factory fitted solid cam as the XY HO ran for example really didn't make proper power tilt 7000 RPM which is why the race teams removed the factory fitted rev limiter. This of course caused a lot of issues as Cleveland's had too much oiling in the top end and caused the motors to strip bearings in the bottom end. You then needed to use oil restrictors in the top end to try to help with this issue. The Cleveland alloy heads that were originally put to market were largely based on to the intake of the 2v and exhaust ports of the 4v.

Now there was going to be an XA Phase four of which are couple still exist one of which is owned by the Bowden Family. There were a very small handful of XA's built with the build code rpo83 which was more or less a XA GTHO option. These carried what was going to be the phase 4 running gear which included rear disc brakes and the 4- bolt block and 4v head combo which was carried over but improved from the XY.

Because the XA Phase four was killed off in such a hurry quite a lot of these 4 bolt blocks & head motors and it up in various forms including base model Fairlanes. From memory they were essentially fitted with standard size cams and smaller carburettor so the average buyer was none-the-wiser. Going back about 20 years many Ford wreckers were hunting down these old Fairlanes for bugger all money because they were pulling out GTHO compatible drivelines which were very desirable.

There were many weird things that happened with the Cleveland's Lifespan most of which I can't remember anymore but one other interesting little fact was that in the 80s a very small a handful of XD and XE Falcons were fitted with a pillow block Cleveland which had thicker casting originally planned for NASCAR racing for example. I wouldn't think these F100 you speak of would be anything special they would likely just be a way to get rid of stock that couldn't be used in its original design implementation. The XC Cobra for example that everyone loves to bits was just paint and special cloth trim to try to move the Last 400 Coupes as by that time they were too thirsty and no one wanted them. They ran a pollution motor and made no power whatsoever. The manuals ran a single rail gearbox and not the top loader and the diffs were all geared very tall they were absolutely not a performance car in anyway.

You're exactly right about Ford getting rid of surplus stock but I think my mate was pretty chuffed about discovering such a rare bird - especially considering he only paid $5500 for it in '97 & at that time, phase 3 GTHOs had a replacement value of around$45000

D

Deleted member 69390

If you google F100 Cobra nothing comes up for the time era - there is a F100 Cobra from the 50s.

What makes you think this is a HO engine? More likely 4V heads put on the standard old 351.

CaptainBanana

If you google F100 Cobra nothing comes up for the time era - there is a F100 Cobra from the 50s.

What makes you think this is a HO engine? More likely 4V heads put on the standard old 351.

HO engines were that rare or special. No custom or hand made parts so it could potentially have a 4 bolt, 4v solid cam motor but not from a HO.

Spooner

Hi Mate,
Easiest way to verify if this is correct in to contact Ford Australia.
They have all the documentation for builds of this period for GT Falcons.
I was VP of the Falcon GT Club of Australia back in the mid 90's , pre internet days and we had access to their documentation as a resource to authenticate cars. Im sure they will still hold all the records on file , as per Holden do the same thing.
The Engine Block number would verify if it came out of a Phase III
Personally I think its fantasy thinking that it's a factory special as I've never heard nor known of one ever.
Sure some Fairlane's and some GS Fairmonts had GT running gear .
As for a 76 F100 having a factory fitted Solid 4V I doubt it very much.
my XB was one of the last Factory made 4V Top Loader 9" diff's ever made back in April 74
With documented proof , by the end of 74 they were all gone , and ran single rail gearboxes and 2v heads
Anyway see how you go , it could be a one of a kind ;)
Cheers Rick

GT30.jpg

Barra GU

Definitely loving this topic.

Spooner dont know if i ever mentioned it to you before but the old man had a 75 xb coupe which he only sold 6 years ago.

They would have to be my favourite cars of all time.

I regularly jump on gumtree and car sales looking for something i can buy.
Last night a friend told me there was a coupe for sale for 6k. Domt know the condition but infreaked out...

I have been even looking for 4 doors as they are more affordable but still fetch good money...

CaptainBanana

Definitely loving this topic.

Spooner dont know if i ever mentioned it to you before but the old man had a 75 xb coupe which he only sold 6 years ago.

They would have to be my favourite cars of all time.

I regularly jump on gumtree and car sales looking for something i can buy.
Last night a friend told me there was a coupe for sale for 6k. Domt know the condition but infreaked out...

I have been even looking for 4 doors as they are more affordable but still fetch good money...

Sold mine as a rolling shell in October 2016 for over 30k....not cheap anymore and 6k won't get you much.

CaptainBanana

Was a nice car for a 20 year olds first car. My dad had it from near new and mum drove it for years and years as a grocery getter before I managed to get it and rebuild it from scratch. It was a burnt out shell that took me from around age 16 to 20 to get to where you see below.

3_2015-02-27.jpg
4_2015-02-27.jpg
1_2015-02-27.jpg
2_2015-02-27.jpg
5_2015-02-27.jpg

Last edited:

CaptainBanana

This is what I got more than 30k for. I had a bedroom full of parts I'd collected in my teens and early 20s that netted thousands and thousands more.

The funny thing is in the 90s coupes were at wreckers literally stacked one on top another waiting the crusher. Mine was soo good in terms of rust It sold to a bloke north of Noosa but I had people fly from all over Australia to view it....buyers are serious.

4_20161010_133517.jpg
2_20161010_140655.jpg
1_20161010_133525.jpg
16_20161010_133758.jpg
0_20161010_133622.jpg
10_20161010_133912.jpg

discomatt

That is sooo depressing, I had a xb, hot 302, 9 inch disc brake which I got half way through restoring when panel beating, bought a house and the old shitter went to the scrap metal yard. When I had the panel shop I wrecked 2 coupes and cut them up for parts:(

CaptainBanana

That is sooo depressing, I had a xb, hot 302, 9 inch disc brake which I got half way through restoring when panel beating, bought a house and the old shitter went to the scrap metal yard. When I had the panel shop I wrecked 2 coupes and cut them up for parts:(

In the late 90s early 2000s could buy a matching number GT Coupes for about two and a half grand in pretty reasonable condition... my old man refused to let me store any at the house even though we had room which is a shame otherwise I would have sold them all 2 years ago and paid a house outright on what would have been in a total investment of maybe 10 grand back then.

typhoeus

This is what I got more than 30k for. I had a bedroom full of parts I'd collected in my teens and early 20s that netted thousands and thousands more.

The funny thing is in the 90s coupes were at wreckers literally stacked one on top another waiting the crusher. Mine was soo good in terms of rust It sold to a bloke north of Noosa but I had people fly from all over Australia to view it....buyers are serious.

View attachment 63601 View attachment 63602 View attachment 63603 View attachment 63604 View attachment 63605 View attachment 63606
Are they the same car?