Extracta Hand Winch

tharanaw

Hi guys,
I've been looking for a hand winch these days.
The Extracta hand winch offered by Bushranger popped up in my searches. Has anybody used it?
Can I get any ideas on whether its good and reliable?

Thanks,
Tharana

Kippie

All hand winches are horrible. The end.
Agree. Before buying a hand winch I suggest you try one out for real. For example at a 4wd training course.
Then ask yourself "can I avoid getting bogged in the first place". If you answered that affirmative, then take that course of action. No need for a winch.

Hoyks

Buy a 2nd hand one on Gumtree. 99.9% have had very little work and are at give away prices. You too can use it twice and then dump it in the dark corner of the shed because its hard work.

Not much to go wrong with them, so don't be afraid of it being worn out. If the the jaws slip on the cable in really dusty conditions, just pour some water through the case and turn the dust to mud and it will work again.

That type with the alloy case have been sold under a few different names, years ago 4x4 Australia (I think) did a review and they scored pretty well.

cam04

Hi guys,
I've been looking for a hand winch these days.
The Extracta hand winch offered by Bushranger popped up in my searches. Has anybody used it?
Can I get any ideas on whether its good and reliable?

Thanks,
Tharana
That is the style of hand winch you will want. Make sure to order extra shear pins when you buy it so you have some spares. I dragged out the tirfor just last week for a session of fence straightening at work.

tharanaw

@itlldoo @cam04 Thanks guys. Really appreciate your understanding.
I actually need it as an option for safety in the rare event that I get stuck without any other vehicles in the vicinity. I feel its the best option as I don't want to lug around a lot of unnecessary weight in ordinary driving. Also electric winches are not cheap over here.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
I bought a similar trifor style hand winch when I got into 4WDn about 10 years ago.
Never did use it, in fact when I first got it I took it on maybe 1 trip I think, and it sat in the shed until I sold it recently.

That one in your link seem pricey, says $495 (on google search says $495 US, on the .com.au link $495, not sure it that is AUD).

I had a Ridge Ryder hand winch, same specs, was down to AUD$125 when they cleared them out a few years ago.
Out of stock for many years, but still on their site . . .

They are great in some ways, use a winch extension strap for reach, can stabilise a 4WD on a slope, pull one back on their feet, be used in conjunction with elec fitted winch for multiple direction pull, pull tree stumps, straighten a fence like Cam did, pull out car damage even.

There's a few things like bogout on the market, but they are really only good for fairly flat surfaces, in jungle type terrain a hand winch is possibly your best bet, more flexible than a car fitted winch in many cases.

Batts88

Yeah they are good, usually called a hand tirfor. I used them a hell of a lot at work yrs ago being a conveyor belt splicer and also done plenty of recoveries with mine. Theyre heavy but you'll never break the cable the internal pulling jaws may slip if they get muddy but can be sprayed with WD40 when in the bush to help. You can hose it out to clean when finished then spray with WD40 again.

They can be reasonably easy to use once you get to know how to use it correcty it takes a bit of practice though. They are designed for one person to use or you may sheer the safety pin but it would take a lot for that to happen I have never sheered one. The only real issue is the weight and take up storage room there are other devices on the market like The More Power Puller which looks very strong if I was looking for something I would try one of these. I have also used lots of wire comalongs but be wary they can be too light and bend easy they usually over rate their ability.

tharanaw

@Hoyks @Les PK Ranger Thanks a lot for your views guys. I'm still on the lookout. I too felt that $500 seems a bit too much.

@Batts88 Thanks mate. How is your experience with come-along style winches? Bushranger has one of those as well and it's pretty cheap.

Would this do?

cam04

Rather than going that way I would consider a cheap ATV winch (4500lb), and use a snatch block with it to double the line pull. A bit of nifty rigging and an andersen plug slung off your start battery and you'd be good to go. They have automatic line laying on the drum also which helps.
I have one on my camper trailer and it has proved to be good value. If I was ever taking a smaller 4wd offroad I think I would make up one in a box as they are quite compact and surprisingly strong.
I'm not big on cumalong winches, the wires end up buried on the drum and there is no real braking system. I'd take my chances with a chinese ATV winch first if you can import one.

Batts88

@Hoyks @Les PK Ranger Thanks a lot for your views guys. I'm still on the lookout. I too felt that $500 seems a bit too much.

@Batts88 Thanks mate. How is your experience with come-along style winches? Bushranger has one of those as well and it's pretty cheap.

Would this do?
This is just a very basic guide but I'll put it to you like this compare the Bushranger with it's claimed 1,500kg pulling capacity small wire size I wouldn't call it cable and 3kg a measly total weight. Now a 1,600kg pulling capacity hand tirfor has 20mts of cable 8.3mm diameter and total weigh approx 15 - 20kg depending on the brand.So which one will break first when you really need it to get you out of trouble. I haven't used my tirfor for quite a while but still have it I bought it in the late 1980's maybe around $350 not cheap but extremely reliable, it has stood the test of time and I might be using it again soon to pull out some tree trunks. I have never broken a tirfor but have broken several wire cumalongs at work and in the bush choose carefully.

AngryWO

Agree. Before buying a hand winch I suggest you try one out for real. For example at a 4wd training course.
Then ask yourself "can I avoid getting bogged in the first place". If you answered that affirmative, then take that course of action. No need for a winch.
Agree we’ll said.

tharanaw

This is just a very basic guide but I'll put it to you like this compare the Bushranger with it's claimed 1,500kg pulling capacity small wire size I wouldn't call it cable and 3kg a measly total weight. Now a 1,600kg pulling capacity hand tirfor has 20mts of cable 8.3mm diameter and total weigh approx 15 - 20kg depending on the brand.So which one will break first when you really need it to get you out of trouble. I haven't used my tirfor for quite a while but still have it I bought it in the late 1980's maybe around $350 not cheap but extremely reliable, it has stood the test of time and I might be using it again soon to pull out some tree trunks. I have never broken a tirfor but have broken several wire cumalongs at work and in the bush choose carefully.
Thanks for the advice mate. Looking to get a Tirfor style one soon.

phs

Hands down the tirfor style hand winches are more dependable than a modern rope electric winch.

less components to brake, more recovery options ( any angle )

only down side is they are harder work and slower, that aside they are the ultimate recovery item.

Colly18

Hands down the tirfor style hand winches are more dependable than a modern rope electric winch.

less components to brake, more recovery options ( any angle )

only down side is they are harder work and slower, that aside they are the ultimate recovery item.
I had one of these for a few years, but never seriously used it. I also went by the philosophy or don't get bogged in the first place, so I gave it to my son who I knew was more likely to need it. Sure enough he's used it several times to get his vehicle and trailer out of serious bogs. But he has also recognized the benefits of less hard slog and has invested in a vehicle front mount electric winch. He hasn't given me back my Mean Mother, so I guess he appreciates the value of it. They are a good bit of gear.

Reactions: phs

phs

I had one of these for a few years, but never seriously used it. I also went by the philosophy or don't get bogged in the first place, so I gave it to my son who I knew was more likely to need it. Sure enough he's used it several times to get his vehicle and trailer out of serious bogs. But he has also recognized the benefits of less hard slog and has invested in a vehicle front mount electric winch. He hasn't given me back my Mean Mother, so I guess he appreciates the value of it. They are a good bit of gear.
I was the opposite when I had myn, we went looking to get stuck frequently.

Young dumb and full of mud
Spent many hours on the hand winch, once you get the hang of it, it does get easier