Experience with rear drawers in ute and XTM drawers in particular . . .

paulblue

Hi,

I have a 2018 Mazda BT-50 4x4 and I’ve grown tired of using containers for my camping storage set up.
I would like my camping gear permanently in the back of my ute. Come Friday arvo, add food, ice and grog . . .

I was thinking about having:
• XTM 4x4 camp kitchen (slide out); &
• Two XTM modular drawers stacked on top of eachother.

I’ll position the above set up so that it is centred in the car, but the stack of two drawers is heavier than the slide-out camp kitchen. Will this be an issue for the suspension long term?

Whether it be the XTM’s or the Titan’s, some people have said that they can hear the drawers rattling about from inside the cabin of their car. Has anyone here experienced this? Would a solution be to have a thin rubber tub liner and use extra long bolts when installing the drawers. Would the tub liner stop the rattling problem? Other solutions?

Or am I better off saving a little bit of extra cash and getting the ARB set up? Better quality?

Cheers,
Paul Zab

Hi,

I have a 2018 Mazda BT-50 4x4 and I’ve grown tired of using containers for my camping storage set up.
I would like my camping gear permanently in the back of my ute. Come Friday arvo, add food, ice and grog . . .

I was thinking about having:
• XTM 4x4 camp kitchen (slide out); &
• Two XTM modular drawers stacked on top of eachother.

I’ll position the above set up so that it is centred in the car, but the stack of two drawers is heavier than the slide-out camp kitchen. Will this be an issue for the suspension long term?

Whether it be the XTM’s or the Titan’s, some people have said that they can hear the drawers rattling about from inside the cabin of their car. Has anyone here experienced this? Would a solution be to have a thin rubber tub liner and use extra long bolts when installing the drawers. Would the tub liner stop the rattling problem? Other solutions?

Or am I better off saving a little bit of extra cash and getting the ARB set up? Better quality?

Cheers,
Paul Zab
I have the XTM in the back of my Grand Cherokee, it rattled, but I put felt stoppers in side at the end, problem solved
i went for the XTM for their weight, one has the fridge slide, the other not

cam04

No chance in hell you’ll hear drawers from the cab of a Ute unless they aren’t tied down at all. ARB are lighter and better built but 3-4 times the price. They are also taller. If it is your only camp setup $3k for an arb kitchen might be cheap. I work with a guy who has ticked every box on his hilux. The kitchen is nice but for the money even he concedes he should have ditched the style-side/arb canopy and gone with a proper aluminium canopy from the start.

Lost1?

Agree with Cam. I have set up a tub with canopy. I think my tub is well set up, but I'm now thinking about building a canopy and tray. A drive in, bolt on solution like those offered by Boss, Norweld, Mits, GIC or any of the others around are not cheap.
The one I would prefer is more than I paid for my ute. But for weight distribution and practicality on the road they are the better option.

Last edited: