Experience with 255/85R16 MT's

tanamite

Looking for the best off road tyre option for a 79 series trayback 1HZ with safari turbo, currently has 265/75R16 on sunraysias. I will be doing a few bush trips completely off road, typically sandy ridges, spinifex, wattle & ti-tree scrub, but limestone & ironstone ridges as well. Has anyone tried the 255/85R16 MT's on a 75 / 79, how do they stand up re punctures, and does the larger diameter benefit or adversely affect the final gearing, fuel, top speed etc in the 5 speed box? Any advice appreciated. Also, any comments on the "relative" performace of a good quality MT tubless tyre compared to the 7.50R16's tubed on split rims that would typically be used by exploration / station utes. Mostly interested in puncture performance as load will not be an issue.

cassa777

Micky Thompson ATZ bad Chipping.

Hi all
I have just come back from a trip to the Kimberlies.
I had Micky Thompson 265-75 -16" ATZ fitted. Run them at about 28psi and did a max speed on the rough stuff of no more than 55kph. Even selecting 4x4 when badly corrigated. Just as I was told by the dealer.
The tyres all 4 chipped very badly, Big chunks out almost to the wire .
Nearly evey lug is damaged front and back.
I also see some splits between the lugs, not good.
When they are one of the dearest tyres and told by the dealer there is nothing to compare to them for durability.
Certainly not happy and with the 80,000 warranty and guess what they are not covered.
Rocks caused the damage.
Funny my camper running Kellys , NOT a chip. Did the same trip.
I come across other people with the same tyres and the same bad chipping.
They got similar responce when a claim was put forward. Not covered.
Thanks all,

rodw

Looking for the best off road tyre option for a 79 series trayback 1HZ with safari turbo, currently has 265/75R16 on sunraysias. I will be doing a few bush trips completely off road, typically sandy ridges, spinifex, wattle & ti-tree scrub, but limestone & ironstone ridges as well. Has anyone tried the 255/85R16 MT's on a 75 / 79, how do they stand up re punctures, and does the larger diameter benefit or adversely affect the final gearing, fuel, top speed etc in the 5 speed box? Any advice appreciated. Also, any comments on the "relative" performace of a good quality MT tubless tyre compared to the 7.50R16's tubed on split rims that would typically be used by exploration / station utes. Mostly interested in puncture performance as load will not be an issue.

I flew into a conference at Alice Springs a couple of years ago and had a conversation with a local that lived 5 hours west of the Alice. He reckoned the split rims performed better in the puncture department but reckoned gettting flat tyres was par for the course and just made cup of tea on the side of the road and changed the tyre.

You really are not going to escape punctures by your road description. My best effort is 5 in a day..

Here is an article about the 255/85 R16 tyre, I am keen to try a set....
Expeditions West: Tire Selection for Expedition Travel

Last edited:

olcoolone

We have just recently changed from Cooper ST/C's that we were happy with for general off roading to Toyo Open Country M/T's.

We did a trip with some friends into the Northern Simpson Desert (not the Souther Simpson Desert that most people travel) trough virgin ground and thick scrub.

We had three Coopers get destroyed due to soft side walls that most tyres have and our friends who do a lot of serious remote off road travelling had non with there Toyo's...bear in mind they were the ones cutting the track.

They did a lot of research before going to Toyo's and found they had an extremely strong side wall and tread construction.

We saw proof first hand of how good these tyre's are and this is why we went to them.

They are not the cheapest but they do the work.

There is another person on this forum "Mick O" who recently completed a big trip into Northern Western Western Australia with our friends and he has also seen first hand what the Toyo's are like...might pay to message him.

I would stay away from split rim tubed tyres, with tubeless tyres you can plug them and go within about 5 minutes (pays to use a tyre pressure monitoring system "TPMS") if you catch them quick enough.

We have travelled with people with split rims and tubed tyres and it a pain in the A....... having the stop and change a tyre and rim and then try and repair it later on in the day at camp.

If you drive on a flat tubeless tyre or a tubed tyre they will both be past repair.

These days you can change a tubeless rim and tyre just as quick and easier then a tubed split rim and tyre.

People who say split rims are better are living in the dark ages or have had bad experiences with tubeless and not shown how to repair them correctly.

Here's some basic rules...
1) Adjust you tyre pressure to suit the terrain (saves tyres and our environment)Don't be scared going to low.
2) Use a tyre pressure monitoring system "TPMS".
3) Carry a plug kit for tyre repairs on the go.
4) Use good quality tyres that are in good condition and suits the terrain.
5) Check tyres regularly.
6) Travel at a speed to suit the terrain.....it's not a race but you don'r have to travel at snail pace either.
7) Pick tyre placement and pay attention to what is in front.
8) If you have to hit a bush or small tree try hitting it in the centre of the vehicle not the tyres.

Last edited:

tanamite

I flew into a conference at Alice Springs a couple of years ago and had a conversation with a local that lived 5 hours west of the Alice. He reckoned the split rims performed better in the puncture department but reckoned gettting flat tyres was par for the course and just made cup of tea on the side of the road and changed the tyre.

You really are not going to escape punctures by your road description. My best effort is 5 in a day..

Here is an article about the 255/85 R16 tyre, I am keen to try a set....
Expeditions West: Tire Selection for Expedition Travel

I agree about accepting punctures, but I think the new breed of MT's are getting better wrt sidewalls & puncture resistance. The 255/85R16's in an MT just interest me in the fact that they would offer the benefits of an MT, narrower track which is good off road, and a bit more diff clearance. Just wanted to know if anyone has tried them on a stock 75/79?

johnhu

I've got BFG MT's in 255/85R16 on my 79 series (with a 2" suspension lift).

You may get them on a standard cruiser, but my guess is that you'll need a 2" suspension lift to make them fit.

I've found them a great size tyre, but just real hard to get hold of. As far as I know they're only available in Australia in BFG MT, Cooper ST and Maxxis Bighorns (MT).

I'd be real happy if they were available in something as strong as a Toyo Open Country MT, but they don't bring them in to Australia. The other problem is if you need to buy a spare when travelling. As they're not a common size (like a 265/75R16 or 285/75R16) they're normally not in stock, and have to be ordered in by country tyre dealers.

John