Expedition Truck build

Albynsw

Arrr gotta suck, but at least you to continue researching for stuff

Yep I have changed spec and layout several times while waiting. Nothing you can do but sit tight
ATW tell me they have 200 trucks on order. They are taking delivery of 20 single cabs when mine arrives

callmejoe

Arrr man.

Watching the "The Cartwright" on utube (Isuzu towing Caravan), and the wife goes why haven't you offered me this style setup. WTF. I have been.

As soon as I have mentioned previously said "truck" she has turned off. Nowwwwww seeing what I was actually saying she like Ohhhhhhhhhhh.
Just to add she drives our, well now gone Road train so it's not size that's the problem.

So bloody hurry up will ya so I have more to show her LOL.

Lost1?

All contributes to good planning in the rear cab. Maybe not the budget though. Too much time to dream up new stuff you want.

Albynsw

I took advantage of the promotional extra 17% discount Ebay plus members get to buy up a bit of Victron gear for my truck. I saved over $1,000 on the usual discounted prices offered on the gear so too good to pass up.
I haven’t decided on what batteries I will run yet but am happy with Victron for all the electronics

CTL

This group is “owned” by a vested interest but has posted some excellent comparisons of batteries. Worth looking at it for research purposes.

IMG_6560.jpeg

Albynsw

I looked into what voltage to run, my truck is 24v and a lot of people suggested a 24V system. I have decided to stick with 12V mainly because 12V batteries are readily available anywhere should I have an issue, you could wire up 12V batteries to create a 24V system but if you lose a battery your have lost your whole system whereas if I configured two or more batteries in 12V mode I have inbuilt redundancies if a battery goes down
At this point I am looking for a 2x300A/H battery combo as the ideal scenario

phs

A nice build this guy has done. He has spent some coin on it and has a mint power setup

Any more detail on his rear tyre problems?
Interesting at the end he just dropped in we got a mog and might just use that lol

Can they run bigger than 37s ?

Albynsw

Any more detail on his rear tyre problems?
Interesting at the end he just dropped in we got a mog and might just use that lol

Can they run bigger than 37s ?

The issue is that a lot run 17 inch rims and the tyres for them reduce their load carrying capacity when you air down. There is an option to run 19.5 inch rims and the tyres for them maintain full gvm when aired down. I have gone this route as I don’t want those sorts of problems, tyres are expensive though at $900 a corner
I haven’t heard anyone running bigger than 37s, I suppose you get regearing complications to deal with and ground clearance isn’t an issue anyway

Albynsw

Is 19.5 a standard size truck rim? What’s tire availability like if it’s not?

From my novice approach into this arena it isn’t that common. It is a common size in the US for F trucks etc though.
All Terrain Warriors import a few offroad options as most tyre mobs have highway only options
I was going for the Founders mud terrain as the alternatives were not so suitable but they have just released a AT version so have switched to them
With the 19.5 you can maintain full 7.5t GVM but with the 17s they derate to 6.5t from memory and then that reduces when you air down

IMG_1696.jpeg

Triton14

From my novice approach into this arena it isn’t that common. It is a common size in the US for F trucks etc though.
All Terrain Warriors import a few offroad options as most tyre mobs have highway only options
I was going for the Founders mud terrain as the alternatives were not so suitable but they have just released a AT version so have switched to them
With the 19.5 you can maintain full 7.5t GVM but with the 17s they derate to 6.5t from memory and then that reduces when you air down

View attachment 76529
They look the goods :cool:
I would think anything more aggressive than that & you will be chewing through much more fuel with highway running!

Albynsw

They look the goods :cool:
I would think anything more aggressive than that & you will be chewing through much more fuel with highway running!

That and the muddy has a softer compound so don’t last as long either plus I suspect generate more road noise.

LongRoad2Go

No doubt you've already done your homework, but, how easily available are those tyres in rural Australia i.e. if you did a couple of sidewalls on a remote trip and needed to find replacements ASAP?

If not already considered, maybe check to see what the various Rural Fire Service teams use on equivalent vehicles? (Admittedly, their trucks are mainly designed for full time off road use, not highway comfort.)

discomatt

No doubt you've already done your homework, but, how easily available are those tyres in rural Australia i.e. if you did a couple of sidewalls on a remote trip and needed to find replacements ASAP?
I’ll
If not already considered, maybe check to see what the various Rural Fire Service teams use on equivalent vehicles? (Admittedly, their trucks are mainly designed for full time off road use, not highly

Albynsw

If not already considered, maybe check to see what the various Rural Fire Service teams use on equivalent vehicles? (Admittedly, their trucks are mainly designed for full time off road use, not highway comfort.)

All Terrain Warriors are the biggest name in this sector of the industry and that is the configuration they run and recommend. Truck tyres are not so popular for being in stock regardless and I am carrying 2 spares but I know they have that size on the east and west coast
I don‘t think the RFS runs super singles on their trucks to my knowledge

Last edited: