EV Power - anybody have experience with this lithium battery manufacturer?

smitty_r51

Yeah, i have had one of their 60AH batteries for about 6 years now, actually on my second one as i managed to kill a cell in the first one through mismanagement on my behalf. Does mean i have 3 spare cells in the garage still :)

Rod is a good bloke and had plenty of time to talk through options and setups with me

Bru9

They were as far as i know using CALB cells at one stage, which are part of the first gen chinese lifepo4 and at least have a proven track record. Last i heard calb are one of the few who allow grade A cells to vendors so that is some reassurance in a world full of slim bags. Grade A takes on a different meaning with most on alibaba... These clowns who make dropins dont even supply a datasheet of their cells, at least with an open exposed battery you can check the AC impedance and see how it stakes to the datasheet. if a cell goes pear shaped overtime you can easily swap it out.
From the quotes i have read others mention a proper system will still cost a fair amount, alot more than a dropin, their cheaper 12v sealed units i wouldn't even waste my time with, the cost tells you straight away, they are obviously competitively priced. Some sad stories on caravan forums of guys driving rigs well north of 90k and whining at the costs of aussie built systems, so they went the cheapy imports.

stevemc181

Just wondering why you would go this powerpak version instead of the sealed unit??

Is it because if you drop a cell it can be replaced without having to buy a full battery?
There was limited availability of Lifepo4 7 years ago, but I went with EVpower as they were local to me. They had no sealed packs back then. With a sealed pack you can't see the cell modules or BMS, so who knows what you're getting. My next battery will more than likely be a DIY made from individual cells. I can build a 280 A/H battery for around $1300 using Sinopoly cells and a Daly 250 amp BMS. But yes, being able to replace individual cells is worthwhile in the event of a cell failure.

I'm also thinking perhaps it's better to go an 8 cell battery rather than 4 larger cells, this way if a cell fails while on a trip somewhere, you can easily reconfigure the pack down to 4 cells, albeit for half the capacity. This gives some level of redundancy and is easily achieved, allowing your trip to be finished with a working battery. Have a look at Super/Capacitor Lithium Battery Australia Supply and Discussions on Facebook. Some great stuff on all things lithium battety related in there.

paulblah

They were as far as i know using CALB cells at one stage, which are part of the first gen chinese lifepo4 and at least have a proven track record. Last i heard calb are one of the few who allow grade A cells to vendors so that is some reassurance in a world full of slim bags. Grade A takes on a different meaning with most on alibaba... These clowns who make dropins dont even supply a datasheet of their cells, at least with an open exposed battery you can check the AC impedance and see how it stakes to the datasheet. if a cell goes pear shaped overtime you can easily swap it out.
From the quotes i have read others mention a proper system will still cost a fair amount, alot more than a dropin, their cheaper 12v sealed units i wouldn't even waste my time with, the cost tells you straight away, they are obviously competitively priced. Some sad stories on caravan forums of guys driving rigs well north of 90k and whining at the costs of aussie built systems, so they went the cheapy imports.
Was just looking through some of your other posts on this forum, your really quite angry. Maybe try sleeping past 5am.