Change background image

Engineering Question!

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Andrew M, May 17, 2018.

1. Andrew M

Andrew M New Member

Hi all, 2016 St-x Np300... running 2 inch lift, 275/70/17s and looking to add a one inch body lift.
    Done a lot of research, can't get an answer on this so thought i would ask here...

Will I need engineering certificate or is this legal still?

2. smitty_r51

smitty_r51 Well-Known Member

Which state?

3. Andrew M

Andrew M New Member

Nsw

4. Paddler Ed

Paddler Ed Well-Known Member

Body lift + airbags is questionable if I remember rightly

Swaggie likes this.
  5. Andrew M

Andrew M New Member

fair enough, i've heard that but can't find anything in writing... Don't want to be that guy ringing up engineering certifiers asking questions and not booking anything - so thought to annoy people on here! haha

6. hiluxdriver

hiluxdriver Well-Known Member

Google nsw light vehicle modification rms

7. Luthy

Luthy Well-Known Member

Im pretty sure body lifts are not legal in nsw. Doesnt stop alot of people doin it tho but if there is a situation were the car if in an accident might come under scrutiny and may be not covered. Big IF tho.

Andrew M likes this.
  8. typhoeus

typhoeus Well-Known Member

section 33 wording from RMS , NSW vehicle mods guide:
    "Fitting of body mountings, a body lift kit or mounting points other than those designed by the vehicle manufacturer.
    Example not requiring certification:
    • Fitting optional body lift kits or mountings that are designed for that make and model of vehicle and meet or exceed manufacturer’s specifications."
    This can be interpreted as being permissible if the lift kits exceed manufactures specs. So . . If the factory don't make a lift kit, there are no specs, so it is easy to exceed them, . . . or because there is no factory kit, you cant exceed the specs so aftermarket is not permitted. . . bit ambiguous, isn't it?

Andrew M likes this.
  9. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

Having traction control I reckon you’ll already be illegal with bigger tyres and a lift. These days you aren’t allowed both anymore on an ifs vehicle with TC - in states like Qld who signed up to the new standard. You’ll have to check nsw.

Andrew M likes this.
  10. Andrew M

Andrew M New Member

Very ambiguous...

11. phs

phs Well-Known Member

I think you are referring to vehicles fitted with stability control

cam04 likes this.
  12. phs

phs Well-Known Member

13. Luthy

Luthy Well-Known Member

So basically it still states as i understand 50mm from standard is a legal lift ie 2" suspension lift OR a 2" body lift but not both. Doesnt say anything about an increase in tyre size lifting the vehicle either. So technically my 2017 colorado is 'supposed' to be engineered as i have a 2" lift and running 33" tyres which is 4" from standard as the tyres that were factory were 29". Is that right?

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  14. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure you can only go from 29 to 31 without engineering regardless of lifts

15. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

Your 33's are probably illegal on their own. In nsw you can increase tyre size by 7% over the largest size on the placard so around 31" is your largest legal tyre if it's 29" on the placard. I'm pretty sure that they take into account suspension lift and increased tyre size when doing the maximum overall lift so once again you are already illegal because it's only either 50mm or 75mm, (can't remember), overall and you are already around 100mm and I'm certain that's too much. You aren't Robinson Crusoe here, there's a million cars driving around just the same. Unless you look like a Tonka truck the police don't seem to care unless you drive down to Mansfield in Vic where tape measures are standard police equipment. Everyone bangs on about insurance too but I've never heard of a claim being declined but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

16. Andrew M

Andrew M New Member

to be honest, with my 2 inch lift i'd be hard pressed trying to fit 33's underneath the navara anyway, hence the bodylift question..
    Thanks for the help

17. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

Straight from the RMS pdf document -

2 Minor modifications:
    In addition to the above, the following are not considered to be significant modifications and
    do NOT require assessing or certification:
    a. Except where specified below, modifications to the suspension that does not increase
    or decrease the vehicle’s ride height by more than 50mm.
    b. Changes in the diameter of the wheel and tyre combination of up to +/- 7% of the
    largest size specified by the vehicle manufacturer.
    c. Modifications to the ride height up to 75mm that incorporate a maximum change in the
    suspension of 50mm, and/or an increase in the diameter of the wheel and tyre
    combination of up to 50mm.

There's still another document on the site that has the +/- 15mm diameter rule, so it's all a bit confusing.

18. Andrew M

Andrew M New Member

yep.. maybe i should just ring an engineer and ask lol

19. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

Andrew M likes this.