Elocker

rumbo

Hey everyone.

I'm looking at getting hands on a 4Runner, after a bit of research, a locker of some sort is the best thing for them due to the IFS set up.

I came across the Eaton E-locker from harrop engineering. Has anybody fitted one of these and do they compare to the legendary ARB airlocker?

Thanks,

Scott

rodw

Hey everyone.

I'm looking at getting hands on a 4Runner, after a bit of research, a locker of some sort is the best thing for them due to the IFS set up.

I came across the Eaton E-locker from harrop engineering. Has anybody fitted one of these and do they compare to the legendary ARB airlocker?

Thanks,

Scott

I did a bit of research on them a while ago and it seemed they were not very reliable so stick with the ARB. The onter alternative on the rear axle is a Dertoit locker. About the same price as ARB, but always there. I also gave serious consideration to one of these but decided that when I do add lockers I will go with ARB becasue I drive 50 km in heavy traffic to and from work every day.. If I was living in a country town I'd go with the Detroit.

rumbo

Yes, I have looked at the automatic lockers, but I would rather a manual. I don't want to start a debate about which is better. I personally think that the Autos are a compromise between on road and off road manners. The other option could be cable driven locker that was a factory option for the mighty 60 series. If they are available for a 4Runner?

Are there any other options for a manual locker cheaper than a Air Locker for a 4Runner?

rumbo

If i get a 4Runner it will be used onroad quite a lot, I would prefer to know that the diff is not locked and will not lock while my child (well, due next month) is in the car and her safety is not risked.

Cheers,

Scott

rumbo

The front diff is fine for an auto locker as you mentioned, the hub are free wheeling while on road. Depending on the condition of the diff, a locker will only improve the off road characteristics. I don't really want to pay for a Air Locker, but so far it appears to be the only choice for a reliable manual locker.

thanks for your input,

Scott

Triplayhard

done a bit of research on lockers as i'll eventually get around to putting one in the triton. If you have manual hubs in the front, its the best place to put an auto locker (or auto unlocker if you read up) in IFS - as it's the first place you're gonna lift a wheel. With the hubs unlocked on road you wont notice its even there... but with the hubs engaged off road it's always working- improving ability greatly. The Auto lockers are also more cost effective. Thats what i'm going with anyway, the choice is yours but from what i hear from people who have them they're great in manual hubs/IFS setups- like your 4 runner.

rumbo

I agree 100% the auto e.g. detroit, LOKKA will be most cost effective with free wheeling hubs as they will be disengaged while on road. As this is the case, the front diff is fairly flexible and I will put in the best quality diff that I can afford at the time of looking. Its the rear that has got me thinking as I want a quality manual locker but do not want to pay for an air locker as I don't have that kind of cash sitting around.

Good luck with the Triton, It will be unstoppable with a locker

Cheers,

Scott