Electric brakes general query

LowLux

Was just wondering if all electric brakes need to have some kind of control module inside the cab of the vechicle? I have the Andersen plug at the rear of the Lux next to the tow bar for what I assume is for the electric brakes but there's nothing inside the car to control it. Is it controlled automatically or should there be another bit?

Traveller

Yep, as far as I know you need a control box inside the vehicle. This sets the speed trailer
brakes come on, and how hard they come on. Most units have a manual overide slide as well. The trailer should have a wire for the brakes inside the trailer plug. eg 7 core wire has 2 blinkers, tail lights,brake lights, hot wire for powering van, earth wire,brake control wire-I think! Been a while
since I've rewired mine.(take a look at a plug packet, it's written on there-aux)

The anderson plug you have is probably a heavy duty hot wire for a van. Quite a few people run
them these days.
Could be completely wrong too, has happened to me in the past!
Jok

nb-should be able to hear the hum at the brake drum if brakes are working

Last edited:

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Your RIGHT Traveller, your WRONG. :rolleyes: Sorry, could'nt help myself!:D You can use a system that is fitted to the trailer. It uses only inersia and must have a brakaway and it's own power supply. Alot of the trailer rental places have them on larger trailers, ie car trailers. Any good auto spark would supply and fit them or some one like repco. It is pretty simple to wire up. Alot easier than an in car system. The only problam is you don't have an override control.

Brakes are overrated anyway, they only hold you back and slow you down!! :cool:

Traveller

Your RIGHT Traveller, your WRONG. :rolleyes: Sorry, could'nt help myself!:D You can use a system that is fitted to the trailer. It uses only inersia and must have a brakaway and it's own power supply. Alot of the trailer rental places have them on larger trailers, ie car trailers. Any good auto spark would supply and fit them or some one like repco. It is pretty simple to wire up. Alot easier than an in car system. The only problam is you don't have an override control.

Brakes are overrated anyway, they only hold you back and slow you down!! :cool:

Cheeky bugger:eek:, except that your more wrong then me:D:- he did ask about electric brakes :p

Inertia brakes are a manual overide system, pure mechanics, nothing electric.
A breakaway is a seperate device, with it's own power supply in the trailer, that is
activated when a 'pull cord' connected to tow vehicle pills out of a clip on trailer.
This causes the brakes to lock on for about 2 hours. Compulsory in Vic for trailers
weighing over 2 tonne. Only good when tow vehicle and trailer become seperate items.
:D:D;)

gregs

Was just wondering if all electric brakes need to have some kind of control module inside the cab of the vechicle? I have the Andersen plug at the rear of the Lux next to the tow bar for what I assume is for the electric brakes but there's nothing inside the car to control it. Is it controlled automatically or should there be another bit?

LowLux,

Mate not all vehicles need to have a brake controller in, but it does give you control over the trailer at all times.
I installed a Tekonsha prodigy in our patrol as well we have an on board controller in the camper trailer (we bought a second hand trailer of a hire company that had these in them so anyone could tow the camper trailer), but the on board controller is turned down to nothing, as I like to have complete control over the camper with the prodigy.

The anderson plug could be for the brakes, but a bit of an overkill !! (especially for a small box trailer or camper trailer), but it will do the job if you need to run the earth wire back to the truck. You should already have an earth wire through your trailer plugs to somewhere on the trailer and this is what you can connect the earth wire for the brakes to.

Did you buy the vehicle second hand, as it could be a charge wire for the previous owners camper or van.

As said before in a previous post you can run the brake wire from the onboard controller to the trailer plug aux terminal and then run the wires to the brakes on the trailer and wire into the aux terminal on the trailer plug.

Hope this helps
Greg

croozza

According to the new laws just introduced here in QLD, you must have trailer brakes on a trailer that is over 750kg AGM. And the brake controller for any new trailer must be installed in the cab of the towing vehicle. This rule does not apply to existing trailers that have a brake controller fitted to the trailer.
You may find that the anderson plug is wired to you battery, as your lux's previous owner may have had a camper/caravan and that is how he charged up the batteries on it.

MGWREF

In NSW you must have an electric brake controller inside the cabin, when the trailer is utilising electric brakes.
MG

Adventure guy

I f you don't smoke many people place the controller where the ash tray is,place the unit as close as possible to the driver,when I had a trailer with electric brakes, I found I needed to use the manual over ride on the controller, a fair bit.

Grumpy

Does anyone know where I can pick up a set of electric brakes for my camper in Victoria, the best price so far is $420 any ideas Guys.

steelo

Mines a Hayman Reese one, here's a side-on view, you'll notice the wires coming from under the dash to it. :D

DSC00808.jpg

A red light comes on on mine every time I touch the brakes, I presume to let you know they're working.

Walkabout

Law in NSW is any trailer over 750 GVM must have "brakes fitted" this can be cable or hydraulic operated via a braking hitch or eletric regulated by in cabin control.
The power for eletric brakes on trailers up to 3 or maybe 3.5 tonne can be supplied via car battery through trailer plug, above that the brakes must have there own battery on the trailer for power.
The anderson plug you mentioned lux is most likely for charging a power supply battery in a van or camper as the hilux would not have the tow capacity for the super big trailers.