Electric 4X4's - The Future?

Hoyks

They will have their place. Range anxiety will remain, batteries are getting a lot better so you can go further and faster. But at the end of the day you need to put those electrons back in and for remote travel a 200W solar panel just isn't going to cut it so you will still have to go back to the grid. A petrol/diesel power pod that could be strapped into the tray or added to a trailer for the long trips would be one way to have both your electrons and remote travel.

This is a good example of new thinking though, getting well away from the engine at the front, transmission in the middle and fuel tank at the back. By saving weight by ditching all of that gear and sticking motors at the wheels, you suddenly have a flat empty platform that you can fit batteries to and evenly spread the weight across the length of the vehicle.

If I had the spare $$ I'd like to convert a Sierra to full electric. Just the thing for playing with on the weekend and running to and from work. Stockpile the diesel for the long trips.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
EVs have awesome performance, this one would be amazing too and a genuine 4wd also.

Range yes wil always be a problem, but no doubt batteries and efficiencies will get better.

I think its going to happen without a doubt as batteries get smaller, lighter and can handle huge amounts of charge and as alternative energy systems get smaller, lighter, more efficient and able to generate huge amounts of electricity required to run the car for a significantly long period of time in all weather conditions

Won't happen today. Probably won't happen tomorrow but it'll happen.

silkwood

When they can do 1000kms towing I'll get one !
I think from a personal level, that may be a fair comment. You miss the point, though, when it comes to overall use. The majority of people didn't own 4wd's or go camping (other than to established parks) forty years ago (yes, I know some of us here did, but at the time it was less the norm. Part of the appeal I would have said). Societies and behaviors change. It seems like yesterday we were reading of the "massive social changes" to be created by two car families.

It may be, in the not so distant future, the only place you can take a 4wd to do what we would consider "real" 4WDing (more than a slightly rough track) will be on private properties like Bendelby. Watch the social use change then! For many, a vehicle with 400-600km range will be ample. It may be that you will only hire this type of vehicle like you would a jet ski. The majority may only need tow vehicles for touring, not 4WDing.

Development of batteries and hybrids is moving very quickly, the electronics to control battery use is moving even faster (look at the latest Dyson vacuums). I don't know what the mid term answer is for towing (probably diesel for a while yet) but the market will change. People make the mistake of thinking about how a new technology will change their current behaviour. In fact it is the behaviour which usually changes to adapt.

Cheers,

Mark

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
EV’s of any make in Oz should also have spare wheels !!
The Model X doesn’t at least, front and rear are different sizes, and they are a special design (Tesla tyres at least) and $$$.

They send out a tilt tray to recover vehicles with flats.
Free.
Not sure how long they can do that in vast and less populated areas, such as out long isolated highways, even bitumen ones.

Triton14

What happens when you need to do multiple winches??

The best batteries are going to be sucked dry in no time & if its not for actual 4X4ing then whats the point, you may as well get a smaller vehicle!

Kippie

Perhaps we should abandon our conventional thinking about 4wdriving. After all, no current 4wd has one motor on each wheel producing 200hp(?) each with enormous torque at low revs controlled by a computer that has more computing power than the ones they used to send men to the moon. I reckon that the new technology will provide options that we can't imagine today. For example, 10 years ago, who thought that driverless cars would exist?

G_ute

Dreaming...

I embark on my journey with my electric 4x4, 1000km range to go using my graphene battery.
Get to my first destination after a long drive and setup the tarp, which also happens to be a 5kW flexible solar panel (90%+ efficient cells). Giving me shade and power. Two days later I have enough power to proceed to the next stop. Travel is not as fast as in the fossil fuelled days, having to stop more often and spend longer at places. But thats fine, I am retired at last!
My reliable electric drivetrain gives me awesome traction. And its so simple that a service just involves greasing the shafts. No oil or filter changes. I can use any of the in-wheel motors as an electric winch, if required. But while winching is a rare requirement, it does take a lot of my battery capacity so I need to stay longer to top up.
Bad weather forms part of my trip and solar is not available. I need to top up the battery, so reluctantly I pour some bio-diesel into the fuel cell generator and charge up enough get to the nearest town, I need to stock up food supplies anyway. Plug in at the local tavern charger and to get a discount then I enjoy a meal and a couple of beers while I am waiting.
Its blowing a gale at the next place so I fly my kite up high, incorporating its wind generator. Power at night is good.

Gee its nice not having to rely on petrol stations anymore, and with the right conditions, I can travel indefinately.

Kippie

Dreaming...

I embark on my journey with my electric 4x4, 1000km range to go using my graphene battery.
Get to my first destination after a long drive and setup the tarp, which also happens to be a 5kW flexible solar panel (90%+ efficient cells). Giving me shade and power. Two days later I have enough power to proceed to the next stop. Travel is not as fast as in the fossil fuelled days, having to stop more often and spend longer at places. But thats fine, I am retired at last!
My reliable electric drivetrain gives me awesome traction. And its so simple that a service just involves greasing the shafts. No oil or filter changes. I can use any of the in-wheel motors as an electric winch, if required. But while winching is a rare requirement, it does take a lot of my battery capacity so I need to stay longer to top up.
Bad weather forms part of my trip and solar is not available. I need to top up the battery, so reluctantly I pour some bio-diesel into the fuel cell generator and charge up enough get to the nearest town, I need to stock up food supplies anyway. Plug in at the local tavern charger and to get a discount then I enjoy a meal and a couple of beers while I am waiting.
Its blowing a gale at the next place so I fly my kite up high, incorporating its wind generator. Power at night is good.

Gee its nice not having to rely on petrol stations anymore, and with the right conditions, I can travel indefinately.
Love your dream mate. It'll happen sooner than later and will probably even better than you'd imagine.

Triton14

Dreaming...

All of that in an readily available & affordable bundle sounds great :eek:

The whole eco thing is going to be great when its available to the masses, in about 300 years!

Im actually surprised that with how far tech has come to date things like this aren't already available in to the general public.

I like the sound of the back up diesel fuel cell generator though :)

G_ute

Actually I am hoping there will be reasonably affordable conversion kits in the future so I can keep the fourby I have
But it will need a quantum leap in battery tech for a heavy tourer to be practical.
Its only the batteries (capacity, size, weight, charging speed, safety) holding it back.
Or an alternative to solid-state batteries (liquid electricity storage?)
I dont think hydrogen is the answer (as much as the petrol companies want it to be)

Synchro

I dont think hydrogen is the answer (as much as the petrol companies want it to be)
The reality is that there are not enough resources in the world for the entire world to go electric. Once electricity can be generated cheaply enough through renewal and hydro sources, hydrogen will be the only realistic way to go in the long term for the masses.

discomatt

One thing to remember is that tech has a snow ball effect, the more we develop the faster and more new tech arrives.
I am not even 50 yet, almost but not there yet, when I was at school computers were a thing for NASA, none at home or school, when I was an apprentice panel beater I saw my first ever mobile phone, a massive back pack and a brick...
Now look at modern phones and computers....
In 10 years there will be tech in cars we haven't even seen yet so I wouldn't be to concerned on the short comings of todays electric cars

Ok this all sounds pretty good thus far but im not very tech savvy. So bare with me ,Tell me why the rotating wheels cannot generate power to charge the batteries required to run these vehicles. Dont F1 cars somehow generate power of some sort thru the braking process.

cam04

Ok this all sounds pretty good thus far but im not very tech savvy. So bare with me ,Tell me why the rotating wheels cannot generate power to charge the batteries required to run these vehicles. Dont F1 cars somehow generate power of some sort thru the braking process.
Various models have regenerative braking. It is getting quite common.

If anyone follows the Iveco Daily 4x4 fails and lemons page they’ll know Don. This is a link to the series 3 Land Rover he built into an electric vehicle. He is very good mevhanically - can even keep an iveco going!

http://www.goingbush.com/ptev.html