Change background image

Electric 4X4's - The Future?

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by Colly18, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Colly18

Colly18 Active Member

2. Hoyks

Hoyks Well-Known Member

They will have their place. Range anxiety will remain, batteries are getting a lot better so you can go further and faster. But at the end of the day you need to put those electrons back in and for remote travel a 200W solar panel just isn't going to cut it so you will still have to go back to the grid. A petrol/diesel power pod that could be strapped into the tray or added to a trailer for the long trips would be one way to have both your electrons and remote travel.

This is a good example of new thinking though, getting well away from the engine at the front, transmission in the middle and fuel tank at the back. By saving weight by ditching all of that gear and sticking motors at the wheels, you suddenly have a flat empty platform that you can fit batteries to and evenly spread the weight across the length of the vehicle.

If I had the spare $$ I'd like to convert a Sierra to full electric. Just the thing for playing with on the weekend and running to and from work. Stockpile the diesel for the long trips.

3. Tink

Tink Well-Known Member

4. Colly18

Colly18 Active Member

Thanks Tink, I hadn't caught up with that.

Tink likes this.