EGR PJ/PK

99pc chimpanzee

P.s the hose diagram above is a must do even if blanking plate fitted.(double insurance)the cooler internals split on some EGR coolers as in wazzas vid letting coolant into intake,doing the coolant hose rerouting totally eradicates any chance from that happening.

Danthuyer

I guess youve checked/are aware that previous owner did nothing done to disable Just a thought.
How many KMs done,i would consider getting it cleaned back to near new, especially if done over 150-200 tho,not what u want to hear as would cost a bit, however super beneficial.then disable egr how u see fit,
Fit a provent 200 catch can also(genuine mann and hummel),they've changed the pressure relief valve system for 2020 so just check its the latest version before purchase,.
If u bought an old style filter element in future to put into new style catch can when needing replacement it will cause issues with pressure.Fitting a new filter into an older/not converted to new model catch can is ok.Retrofit/conversion kits are available from western filters just for information for anyone else.Its simply a matter of replacing lid internals.
They will be ceasing production of older style filter elements anyway, just be aware if u see some cheap for sale and have new provent/conversion they AREN'T suitable.I digress....lol.
If at any stage you want ECU remap to eradicate EGR and check engine light and a bit more torque/horsepower, don't worry about ford overwritting it, just tell them or any mechanic you don't want any updates, highly unlikely now at any rate.everything else like putting in new fuel injector codes is per normal.ecu west or chip tuning are two companies i trust through personal use.
Whatever u do, enjoy your ranger,the 3.0ltr is a strong reliable donk,when you let her/set her free from govt crapt :)
The vehicle used to be a fleet managed car for a rail company over here in AUS and then my GF owned it for many years so the EGR has never been touched.

Its done 200K and in need of some love as no catch can was ever installed but I've got a couple of units here i can fit and see which one fits in the bay better. One is a canister filter type with stainless bucket the other is my own baffled design I've used in many cars over the years and easy to make.

With relation to tuning I'm waiting on a couple of units from mates and will be 'hibernating' the EGM out of range so it doesn't activate as we wont need it where i live as it never gets could enough. however I'm always interested in what others do so I'm keen to see what the extended loom hack does to the stock car.

Danthuyer

P.s the hose diagram above is a must do even if blanking plate fitted.(double insurance)the cooler internals split on some EGR coolers as in wazzas vid letting coolant into intake,doing the coolant hose rerouting totally eradicates any chance from that happening.
correct ..... redundancy !

Zog

The EGR valve needs replacing on our 07 PJ 3.0. We don't want the CEL on and also have concerns about the EGR cooler, so what we were going to do was replace the EGR valve, fit an EGR delete cable to stop the EGR functioning, then bypass the EGR cooler hoses. After talking to a mechanic, he said to just replace the EGR valve and bypass the cooler hoses, but leave the EGR function as normal. Is the lack of cooling of the exhaust gasses going to cause any issues or will it not be noticeable? Thoughts or alternative options appreciated. We have also considered just replacing the cooler and the valve and leaving the whole lot as per manufacturer, but the coolers are $400+

Cheers,
Dave.

99pc chimpanzee

Thoughts or alternative options
Hi,my two cents,i like all the options except the mechanics one,thats on instinct,i would think that if you must put exhaust back into intake best cooler as better bang...thats not absolute fact,just my gut,...disabling egr, bypassing cooler number 1 choice,if the delete cable throws codes(the odd one does) easy to go back to factory.
If u go down replacing the factory parts option,a provent catch can will be beneficial.
My theory is based on summer/winter driving air intake differences and noticeable difference in power.
I don't know how the ECU reacts to uncooled exhaust,(it doesn't seem to care when its blanked/disabled other than the fault code for insufficient egr flow)maybe nothing as mechanic may know more,i just on a gut feel dont like it.
Cheers

Reactions: Zog