EGR Clean

Albynsw

i am looking to remap my 79 Cruiser with almost 200,000k on the clock. Was thinking about getting an EGR clean first as have never done one
One of the tuning companies offered me a chemical clean which they say is better than mechanical as it does the whole system not just the sections physically removed. They hook your vehicle up on the system and run it for 2 hours and need to change oil on completion

Anyone had any experience or thoughts on this? Not sure how effective it is or if it is more a placebo job that only cleans my wallet

Spooner

Anyone had any experience or thoughts on this? Not sure how effective it is or if it is more a placebo job that only cleans my wallet
I dunno Alby , if it ain't broke why try to fix it.
I gave up worrying about my EGR on he BT50 ages ago. It up to 230k next month.
All stock std , non touched.
Service manager said don't worry about it , if its running fine , which it is .

2002GU3

I had it done a few months back, got a new manifold gasket put on and thought I'd get the clean at the same time, basically they hook a container of the chemical to your car ( hangs from bonnet catch ) then run a compressor to it, then stick a small nozzle into your air intake ( just behind air filter on mine ) and force the chemical through the system with compressed air ( whilst motor is running ) ..... when I changed the oil, it was still fairly clean ( done oil change 500k's before clean ) not sure if it helped any, I have no idea whether or not there was any gunk built up prior to clean and my EGR has been blocked, but I guess if nothing else the "placebo" effect made me feel like it was worthwhile doing......there was no noticeable power or fuel benefits.

I put fuel cleaner in a fellas landcruiser Thursday he drove home 40 k's came back yesterday 174,000 km another 40 km's , how's that truck I asked , you can really notice the difference he says , Lady with mitsubishy challanger , fuel conditioner , I'm not a car person she says but I can really feel the difference .
Helped a bloke service his 200 cruiser , said put toyota injector cleaner in before we service it ( tows a caravan ) really notice the difference he says , people who say it's snake oil & all the other shit really should get a chemistry engineering degree before they shed there opinion .
But whatever you spend your coin however you see fit !

Albynsw

I put fuel cleaner in a fellas landcruiser Thursday he drove home 40 k's came back yesterday 174,000 km another 40 km's , how's that truck I asked , you can really notice the difference he says , Lady with mitsubishy challanger , fuel conditioner , I'm not a car person she says but I can really feel the difference .
Helped a bloke service his 200 cruiser , said put toyota injector cleaner in before we service it ( tows a caravan ) really notice the difference he says , people who say it's snake oil & all the other shit really should get a chemistry engineering degree before they shed there opinion .
But whatever you spend your coin however you see fit !
What fuel cleaner are you referring too? Isn’t injector cleaner different to the EGR cleaner?

We use fuel doctor . As used in that landcruser & mitsi if you use it as per there instruction you will get the results you are looking for , I know for a fact that it cleans EGR as I use a scan guage & it reads 100% at all times .
Just under the 150,000 on my hilux , 520,000 on the old fellas hilux all use the doctor & we get the results !

Jaye

We use fuel doctor . As used in that landcruser & mitsi if you use it as per there instruction you will get the results you are looking for , I know for a fact that it cleans EGR as I use a scan guage & it reads 100% at all times .
Just under the 150,000 on my hilux , 520,000 on the old fellas hilux all use the doctor & we get the results !
I use it in my tractor and Ranger every couple of fills. I thought it only cleaned the fuel, and killed algy prior to combustion. It was developed to clean out fuel tanks that they couldn't clean out any other way.

I had a fuel problem in my tractor (possible algy and debris in the fuel tank by previous owner, I found 3 fuel canister pourer necks in the tank as well)
I poured fuel doctor in, let if sit for a couple of months and no problems since. Tractor wouldn't run for more than a couple of minutes before some crap would block the outlet of the tank. After I ran it out of fuel I was going to remove the tank and clean it out. To my surprise their was pretty much nothing in there, just some larger sand like grit, but no sludge, small debris or algy. Also I have changed both fuel filters and had no problems since. I couldn't drive it before.

Who knows if chemical cleans work? The only way it to pull it down pre and post chemical clean yourself, no advertising photos or edited videos will convince me. I'm sure it works, but how well? Maybe it removes 60% for example, and you notice a difference. Does that mean "it works"?
How much to get the chemical clean done? It may be worthwhile. If you regularly maintain your vehicle I don't think its necessary, unless its playing up I probably wouldn't give it much thought, but would be more worried with oil fumes and carbon build up in the intake. That will be of more concern than the egr. Egr doesn't gum up like the intake, it just gets a bit of a carbon build up. The sticking of the valve probably more comes into the design of the valve, components and engine design. Some engines don't seem to have a problem, some do.

Albynsw

I thought it only cleaned the fuel, and killed algy prior to combustion. It was developed to clean out fuel tanks that they couldn't clean out any other way.
I thought the same, I used to put some of the Chemtec conditioner one through her every couple of months but haven’t bothered the last couple of years

We buy 5 litre at a time , on the container it says DPF cleaner , it cleans were ever the exhaust gas go !
Some are believers from experieance others , whatever :rolleyes:

Jaye

I really wonder if anything actually cleans the exhaust. I would like to know the science behind these chemicals. The forces, pressure, heat and explosion in the combustion chamber is unreal, especially in diesels. I would like to know if these chemical compounds can withstand these pressures, forces etc and still do what they do. For one diesel, petrol and LPG dont stand up to the force. They all change their chemical and molecular structure and essentually change into a different state. Does super heated, dry gas have cleaning ability? What other instances do we use a super heated gas to clean something? Im only thinking out loud.

I am not a chemist or anything like that so I cant really express any opinion with authority but I do know the combustion process is extreme and I wonder how anything can survive and still be effective. Thats what makes me think any "cleaning" post combustion is false. I would love to be proven wrong, but its hard when these companies just make claims without any back up.

Mr Rum

4x4 Earth Legend
its hard when these companies just make claims without any back up.
In my opinion, their claims are to be taken with the same grain of salt as the anecdotal “I can feel the difference” claims we hear about all these sorts of things.

Without data, we’ve just got stories.

mac_man_luke

Get the manifold pulled and cleaned (then tuned and deactivated!)
Even if there chemicals do clean it, do you really want that going through your motor? I bet its pretty nasty at 200k.

Albynsw

Get the manifold pulled and cleaned (then tuned and deactivated!)
Even if there chemicals do clean it, do you really want that going through your motor? I bet its pretty nasty at 200k.
That was my initial thought but old mate who I was considering doing the tune suggested the chemical clean setup he has as it does the whole system but I don’t know with the K’s I have done

I really wonder if anything actually cleans the exhaust. I would like to know the science behind these chemicals. The forces, pressure, heat and explosion in the combustion chamber is unreal, especially in diesels. I would like to know if these chemical compounds can withstand these pressures, forces etc and still do what they do. For one diesel, petrol and LPG dont stand up to the force. They all change their chemical and molecular structure and essentually change into a different state. Does super heated, dry gas have cleaning ability? What other instances do we use a super heated gas to clean something? Im only thinking out loud.

I am not a chemist or anything like that so I cant really express any opinion with authority but I do know the combustion process is extreme and I wonder how anything can survive and still be effective. Thats what makes me think any "cleaning" post combustion is false. I would love to be proven wrong, but its hard when these companies just make claims without any back up.
They make a " chemical " called soot loose that you burn in your fire place to release the built up soot , bugger me it works too :eek:

Jaye

@Albynsw I saw on the Berrima Diesel fanbook page they did or got someone to do a chem clean before a catch can got fitted. Have a bit of a look on that or if someone can link it for ya. I didn't get to see the footage, only read the story. They mentioned it being a foam, sprayed down the gullet instead of a mist, vapour or liquid.

That was an exciting discussion :) BUT . There are other factors at play , type of oil used , how often it' changed .
How often your fuel filter is replaced , how you drive the 4wd all contribute to engine internals :confused:
If a catch can is fitted as mentioned by Ol Mate .
Happy motoring & by the way OH WHAT A FELLING :D

Albynsw

That was an exciting discussion :) BUT . There are other factors at play , type of oil used , how often it' changed .
How often your fuel filter is replaced , how you drive the 4wd all contribute to engine internals :confused:
If a catch can is fitted as mentioned by Ol Mate .
Happy motoring & by the way OH WHAT A FELLING :D
Driving style / distance would be a contributing factor to the choking up of the EGR manifold but do you think oil type and changing filters has any impact ?

I remember on the Hilux forum the amount of crud buildup on members vehicles varied considerably and the amount of k’s on the motor did not necessarily equate to how blocked it was.

As far as chemical cleaning goes, the problem I see with it is you don’t know the before and after status. I am thinking I will ask my local mechanic to remove and clean mine and then take it up to Sydney for a tune.

Tink

Yeah, oil quality and viscosity will make a difference. Low ash oil is recommended for EGR equipped vehicles and critical for DPF equiped vehicles. Better quality and correct viscosity for your local climate both mean less blowby.
Not sure what changing filters would achieve.
Tink

Well i'm thinking a dirty filter would interfere with the abilty of the injector to work effeciently , the pump , all the gear that makes a diesel engine run .
We change ours at 10,000 km , ol mate at that diesel joint recommends it so we take his advice o_O
Like the gentleman above says use the wrong oil , ash content , you will ruin the exhaust cleaners but being a faithfull Toyota owner we use the correct fluids as per the manual :D