ecu remapping [ultimate diesel engine failure ]

kono

i have recently had my 2009 navara's ecu unit remapped to eliminate turbo lag and a bit more grunt for towing.what a disaster it has turned out to be.and yes i know that the d40 nissan motors are a very average motor, but i had the motor rebuilt at 114000 klm's in 2017 that is another story.i had the engine ecu remapped at 127000 klm's on 5-11-2019,i drove from woodford qld to albury n.s.w. a distance of approximatly of 1500 klm's i drove around albury for 3 weeks all this time not towing anything,as my brother inlaw had bought himself a new boat and had given me his old 15 foot tinnie with a 25 horse power outboard motor with trailer all up weighing 1100 kilos.this was going to be the navara's first tow since the remapping had been done,to tell the truth i was a bit excited as the navara had been driving the best since i had bought it.on leaving albury to head back to woodford with the boat hooked up we travelled 20 klm's when my wife and myself heard a loud pop sound that came from the engine the number 1 injector had failed and number 1 piston was in 2 pieces,the speedo read 130098 klm's. the remapping company that did my ecu will not take any responsibility for the massive engine failure they told me it was nissan austalia's fault from when they rebuilt the motor,so i got in touch with nissan and because the d40 motors aren't so great they offered to replace it with a brand new one free with labour free as well,but once told the ecu had been remapped they dropped me like a hot potatoe and told me to go back to the remapping business and take it up with them and so i did.the remapping business told me that because it was a injector failure and they had not touched the injectors it was not there problem but when i ask the manager of the business, that to get more power out of my navara would they have to force more fuel into the engine the manager agreed but was still adement that because they had not touched the injectors that it was not their fault for the engine failure,i kid you not,i can note name the business right now because i am taking legal action against this business all that i have been advised that i can say is geebung and a 4x4 show advertise for this business.i have also advised my solicitor that i want be signing any confidentuality agreement so if i win my case then i can name the mongrels to all of australia.lets see if anyone can work out which business i am talking about.

CTL

i can note name the business right now because i am taking legal action against this business all that i have been advised that i can say is geebung and a 4x4 show advertise for this business.
Umm, think you already have named them.

Albynsw

It is a shame to hear of your troubles and hope you get it sorted.
As soon as you modify a vehicle you open yourself up to these potential issues, everyone says they warrant their work but when there are two or three different companies involved in the vehicle it soon becomes a finger pointing exercise and it can be difficult and costly to work out who is at fault.
I had a turbo failure about 10,000k after a remap and who knows if it was the remap or that the vehicle has 200,000k on it. I didn’t even bother going back to the tuner about it because I know what they will say so just paid for it myself. When you do mods you have to take a bit of ownership for it yourself as it always has a risk attached

All the best with it and hope you get a good outcome

hiluxdriver

That's the risk I suppose isn't it.
Unless you can PROVE the remap is the cause for the failure and not the rebuild, or even general wear and tear, then I don't like your chances. Saying the motor was fine before the remap and blew up after it, so it must be the remap, is not proof of the cause.
Good luck with it and be sure to keep us updated

Spooner

yes i know that the d40 nissan motors are a very average motor, but i had the motor rebuilt at 114000 klm's
Sorry to hear mate ,
If you already knew that , and the std one only lasted that long , which is nothing really , not even half run in , then why mod it for better performance ??
You are only asking for double trouble. Which you got.
Sorry no sympathy from me .
Cheers Rick

mac_man_luke

Did you have a reason the first motor failed? if an injector caused the first motor to fail then its going to take out the second

Reactions: phs

idiomatically

I've got to wonder why you told Nissan it was remapped? I would have got the tuner to flash the ecu back to the factory file before approaching Nissan.
Yeah, that does seem like shooting yourself in the foot. Every year I hear this sad story about this mob, very unfortunate. Really pays to research who you let near your rig.

phs

For future reference,

Dealers can’t read ECU mapping so can’t actually see of its been tuned

Also The ECU can be Reflashed back to OEM

good to know, can save people the argument as Stealers will look at any out.

Also hard to just say it is the tuners fault, that injector could have failed without the tune hard to say, you can pull the ECU get a company to read it and give you the specs to compare from STD That would give you an idea what changes we’re made

Tuff gig as a consumer, It is important to have competent people doing the work easier said than done, some bogeys even talk the talk but don’t quite walk the walk.

Bomber2012

Sorry to hear your troubles , this is the reason I would never get a re map / chip on any vehicle .
If I want more power I'll buy a more powerful vehicle .
Heard to many of these stories and they always end in tears .

kono

thanks for the replies,here's some more facts about my engine problems.when the injectors were tested all 4 injectors failed,16000 klm's after being rebuilt,3000 klm's after the remap and on it's first tow since the remap,since the engine rebuild 13000 klm's prior to the remap i had towed my camper to makay qld 11 hours drive from woodford toured the region for 2 weeks and ended up doing approximately 4000 klm's on that trip no mechanical problems on that trip apart from the turbo lag and a bit gutless driving up some of the rangers as it had always been,april 2019 i towed my camper to albury n.s.w. 18 hour drive, toured the area for 4 weeks and did approximately 5000 klm's no mechanical problems, as always turbo lag and a bit gutless getting up the ranges.this is what i have explained to the remappers and their reply is the same ,that they never touched the injectors,as my son in law whom is a qualified diesel mechanic said the only way to get more power out of a engine is to force more fuel and air into your engine through the injectors which is done through the ecu unit .to date i have supplied all of my information to 3 different 'qualified' deisel mechanics neither of the 3 deisel mechanics are my son in law and 3 different remapping business's and their results were all the same,that the engine had more power that it could handle due to the amount of fuel the engine was getting which would have burnt the injectors out,when i told the business that remapped my ecu what these 6 business's had written in their reports their answer was the same as before 'we didn't touch the injectors'.now i know that remapping the ecu will reduce my engine life but to only 3000klm's,so to albynsw maybe these remapping business's should take respondsability when things go wrong as other business have to instead of passing the buck onto some one else.stevemc 181,the reason i told nissan that the ecu had been remapped because it wasn't their fault,so from what you have written in your reply i can only sermize that your probally just as dishonest as the people that remapped my ecu.

phs

What caused the failure back in 2017,
Had any of the injectors been replaced ?

Unless you monitor the health via computer values ect the recommendation is to change CRD injectors is 100-150k

kono

Did you have a reason the first motor failed? if an injector caused the first motor to fail then its going to take out the second
it wasn't the injectors that failed it was nissan mackay qld that put the radiator pressure cap on wrong,if you know anything about the 2009/2010 navara's the pressure cap goes on the overflow bottle not the radiator, i picked the navara up from nissan after they had serviced it and drove towards sarina where my daughter lives but only got half way when i noticed the temperature rise ,and one cracked head,all injectors were rebuilt

phs

it wasn't the injectors that failed it was nissan mackay qld that put the radiator pressure cap on wrong,if you know anything about the 2009/2010 navara's the pressure cap goes on the overflow bottle not the radiator, i picked the navara up from nissan after they had serviced it and drove towards sarina where my daughter lives but only got half way when i noticed the temperature rise ,and one cracked head,all injectors were rebuilt
Rebuilt CRD injectors ?
Have you contacted the rebuilder to have a look at the one that failed

stevemc181

stevemc 181,the reason i told nissan that the ecu had been remapped because it wasn't their fault,so from what you have written in your reply i can only sermize that your probally just as dishonest as the people that remapped my ecu.
Well if you want to start with personal attacks, I’ll just put it down to you being a total knob head for telling the dealer that you had it remapped. What did you expect they would say FFS!

unko84

I've got to wonder why you told Nissan it was remapped? I would have got the tuner to flash the ecu back to the factory file before approaching Nissan.
My tuner told me that the dealer can tell how many flashes the ecu has had, if Nissan had 5 updates to the unit but had 7 uploads to it, they will know something is a little sus