Eat well!

grit

Here's one to start this section off...

Don't ever think that just because your camping, you have to rough it when it comes to food. I know I always eat better on the track than I do at home. Big steaks and a good variety of veges! That's just the ticket when you're burning calories all day long.

Good food, good wine and good company.

Life just doesn't get any better than that.

All the rest is a bonus;
The fishin, the silence, stars in the sky and the yarns by the fire...

Roll on long weekend!

4X4

Grit you're right, we eat more because we have bigger appetites in the great outdoors.

Pure Yobbo

I think you are both right. I think when you are in the Bush you put more effort into it. You have to plan what you are going to eat and take it with you.

We always eat well when we are camping.

Fox Shooter

Yep same. Myself and the hand brake have found planning and pre cook the meals at home then vac seal em and freeze. All you have to do re heat in boiling water presto home cooked meal also you already have hot water ready for washing up.

Oh and a nice drop of Irish Whiskey on the rocks.

mickyd213

I didn't know you could vacuum seal baked beans there Rossco... :D :D :D

Seriously though... You guys have got it right, we generally put more thought into what we eat when we go camping... sometimes i think we eat better away than we do at home.

Last edited:

Airbags

G'day Gang, we have found a local butcher who vac seals our meat portions for us!
Prior to the trip we work out what we call day packs, example (4x sauages, 2x chops, 4 rashes bacon) all in one vac seal bag! That way we only need to mulitply by days away, food lasts for 6x weeks in the fridge! You cannot get that longevity without vac seal bags! We have catered for long trips of 6 weeks for upto 12x people and have not had to disgard any produce! We have run out a couple of times, big appitites in the bush!!!!! But fresh as a daisy!!!!!
Cheers Airbags!

Tats

Well, I've just purchased this gas cooker. It's round like a like one of those Webbers, but is gas-fired. You can cook anything from a pizza to a roast, a blue-rare steak or a well cooked one, you can use it like an oven or with a hot plate as a barbecue. You can boil water or roast vegetables. Man, it's a cracker. If you really want to be spoofy, it comes with some cooking ideas for French and European food, and some of it sounds great. It also eliminates fat from the meat with a special funnel that drains it into a tin. I cooked a bought meat loaf the other night. It came out near-perfect, and when I looked in the fat tin I couldn't believe how much had come out of the meat that, normally, would have found it's way to our gut. It's strongly made has a thermometer on the lid and an electric barby ignitor, and all you need to do is set the heat right (turn the gas up or down so that the correct temperature is achieved), whack in a couple of big thick juicies, open a beer while the wine is breathing, and within 10 minutes you have a perfectly cooked meal. Roasts can take a lot longer depending upon their size - it's very similar to a normal home oven to operate. You can also cook cakes and "stuff". The cost, $50 from K-Mart, a real "nick".:):):) I'm not criticising the old cast iron pots, they cook a great roast, but they are heavy and messy to clean. This baby is self cleaning.:D:D:D

Tats:cool:

LowLux

Me and the wifey use 1 butane cooker and a double gas cooker depending on what we're cooking and how many hot plates we need. I love cooking out bush, it just seems to smell better n taste better when you can cook whilst relaxed.

Tats

Why I'm So Portly!

Hey Lowlux &ors, regardless of what system you use, sitting in front of a fire with a cold beer and just sniffing in the wonderful odour, with anticipation, of some favourite dish that's cooking away alongside, and an open bottle of Merlot "breathing", just waiting for the meal to come . . . I'm beginning to wonder why I live in a house, it all sounds so bloody terrific! Oh well, that's life!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Tats:cool:

Fox Shooter

Have you tried freezing sloppy foods before vac sealing. The wife and I do all the time, much easier and cleaner.

Geoff
We do Geoff It's just Mickyd213 is having a go at me as on night shift my stable diet is bake beans for dinner :D oh and we going 4wdriving and camping :D