Easy lap of vic high country advice please

Baggs71

route.png

Mixed trip..(girls)....nice and easy...maybe park up camper then head out solo for a few hours and come back to camp?...each day approx 3 hrs of driving....the rest realxing and chilling out.....prefer a route where i can take offroad camper trailer all the way around from mansfield to dargo to licola and back to mansfield....

Im not familiar with the high country enough to plan this ....any help or suugested routes would be greatly appreciated

John U

As you will need them on your trip anyway, and you have decided on rough route, it might be a good idea to grab some Rooftops maps to help you with your research.

boobook

You have a mix of some very easy tracks/dirt roads and a couple of doozies there. Getting into the Wonnangatta from the east ( Dargo) is quite steep for a trailer and unsafe if it's wet. You'd want to be very comfortable with your trailer off-road attempting that, and only in the dry.

I advise that you get the Hema High Country tour book or whatever it's called, as well as the maps from Rooftop. The book has lots of details on some trips and difficulty levels.

Depending on when you are going, the camp areas around Talbotville, crooked River etc are easy to get to via Grant, though steep coming back out. I'd also go from Licola to Dargo via Moroka and Marathon Rd. taking in a camp spot at Horseyard, or in Kelly's lane / hut. Lots to do and see around there as side trips. You could keep busy for many days around there. If your trailer is ok you can get into Wonnangatta via Zeka spur and out to Abbeyyard.

Dandongadale to Craigs hut would be a push for a trailer unless you are experienced with it and in the dry too.

There are some nice camp spots on the upper Dargo just north of Dargo near Italian Flat too.

Baggs71

thanks guys a lot!
yes you are all on the money...i need to avoid difficult tracks like the plague on this trip....so will start a list of where not to go haahah

If someone is clever enough to map out a 2 min easy trailerable route arounf the HC ill buy that man or woman a beer next time we are in same location....ill write all this down and red flag all difficult tracks and find an easy grandpa route ...as we may be solo for this one

Baggs71

PS....maybe i should just hang around one region of the high country and do trips out to huts etc without camper and return another time and complete another region?

is this idea better chaps?

discomatt

If exploring an unknown area I would base camp and explore from there rather than towing a camper into the unknown. If you want to stick to main roads in and out your much less likely to have issues with towing the camper

boobook

This may be a plan. Some stops are close but you could do some research and pick one of them. Kelly's hut is beautiful, Howitt hutt is interesting, There are 3 days woth of things to do around Talbotville, cooked River and Grant ( Roof top map is a must) The Dargo pub, and you can do a few side trips to Mt Blue Rag, Hotham. You can tow a trailer on this route easily, its all dirt roads. The Licola to Moroka road can be a little narrow in Parts but nothing to be too concerned about. Moroka Hut is pretty for a side trip. Camp at Horseyard Flats or just beyond.

Bright is a dream to relax, and you can soak up great food and wine in and around the King Valley. I always like to buy King Valley wines and piss in the river to recycle. :)

BUT!!! You can't do this trip in winter, after Queens Birthday Weekend ( around 6th to 8th June) till after the snow season ends. Most tracks are closed Queens birthday till end November.

Mansfield VIC 3722 to Mansfield VIC - Google Maps

1615790368280.png

Last edited:

Bomber2012

I think you need to spend a bit more time (with the camper trailer parked up) looking around the HC .
Some of the tracks on your route would be a nightmare with a camper trailer .

Baggs71

thanks so much chaps...so its a no brainer...take the camper and do a bigger a loop covering earier roads and utilise camp grounds along the way as base camps......OR.....tackle one region at a time as suggested ..........
All your comments are very much appreciated ....from where i sit...i can do an in depth trip on a boys trip and with the wifey and kids stick to a base camp and explore daily ......my first port of call is most likely the North Western region....from mansfield to craigs hut to Jamieson!

My car will be kitted out before we go with recov points etc etc and the cub camper i have is near bullet proof with 2"stubb axels matched to 12"elec brakes and six inch drawbar...so not worried about the camper....more worried about attempting a track ishould not be on hahahahah

Baggs71

Boobook:
your loop is a cracker
is it doable in 7 days or would you be rushing each day?
my gut feeling for the wifeys first time to the HC is to pick a sport thats georgeous to camp at...with little hald day trips out from there to ease her into the next trip in the HC etc

She and i love touring...done strez and ood and stoney deserts and inbetween and far west coast etc etc ...we a not strangers to moving each day...but if i keep to maybe two caqmpgrounds with rivers running through them and a long drop that would be great info as well if possible!

boobook

Is that 7 days Mansfield to Mansfield? That makes it rushed, though you could make a base camp at say Kelly's hut / Lane, and another at Talbotville or maybe Italian Flat. It's probably 5 hours between Mansfield to Kellys, then 6 to Talbotville then 3 to Bright then 2 1/2 back to Mansfield.

Where are you coming in and out of the High Country from? You wouldn't have to go back to Mansfield.

Last edited:

Baggs71

Aha!...good question!

Arriving from mansfield but can leave by bright or jamison etc..coming from SA.....so if the big loop is rushed boobook...where would you take your missus for 3-5 days in the HC from one base camp?

phs

Talbotville
Leave camper

daytrip

- Blue Rag range via the basalt
- Mayford via Dargo high plains road
- Wonnangatta station via wombat range
- Horseyard / Moroka hut via billy goat bluff

Last edited: