Change background image

e-lockers???

Discussion in 'Toyota' started by happy tezza, May 24, 2017.

1. happy tezza

happy tezza Member

G'day fellas n ladies, i have a 105 series 99 yr model
    (auto) ,ive been researching lockers etc, ,2 questions!, if i have a front locker installed will that lessen or increase the chances of snapping axels/cv's and also the age old topic of front versus rear ?; i do a lot of bush driving/climbing rocks dirt etc, all advice will be appreciated!!! TIA

2. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

Front lockers are great if you keep it slow and don't turn too much. I had a front locker with a rear lsd in my last car and couldn't have been happier. You'll break things if you push it on any sort of steering lock and go too hard.

happy tezza likes this.
  3. happy tezza

happy tezza Member

OK COOL one of our local forby fellas recommended go front first, and i respect his opinion but i do like to get a second third n ... opinions ,yep these days i try not to push it!! may sound a bit of a toss but i try n avoid wheel spin. Attended a training day @ yalwal with that mad matt fella n he kept repeating momentum & traction which stuk in my mind n well works bloody well! cheers 4 that quick response mikehzz!!

4. abw

abw Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd go the front locker. I've been in a rear locked patrol on a climb and with all honesty, I couldn't tell the difference between it and an LSD rear. A locker on the front, however, makes a huge difference.

mikehzz likes this.
  5. cam04

cam04 Well-Known Member

It will always lessen the chances of snapping a cv from dropping spinning wheels. You would still need to be extremely careful of loading up the front end, especially in reverse with the 100 series front diff which is a known weak spot. locking the rear on a cruiser will have a massive effect offroad because they don't have an lsd to speak of like a patrol. An auto locker in the rear on the road will click and stuff about and straighten you up gassing it through roundabouts in the wet etc so you need to change your driving style. You would need part time 4wd to do it in the front or it will drive you batty around town.
    Climbing rocks etc as you say in a 100 i'd lock the rear first every time. Having said that, locking the front will still make it much better than standard, just load up the weak front diff which you don't really want.

6. happy tezza

happy tezza Member

YEP C am04 i may have blown my front diff about a month ago, stressed it on monkey gum then a week later doin a casual u -turn it made a sus noise ie call nrma , had it removed (centre) from an NRMA garage ,confirmed my suspicions ,centers screwed got a local fella (ferrets 4x4) to rebuild it($1k) other crew popped it bak in 6 hrs remove n fit @ hunge n hr so atm the fronts kickin goals! with all that u r right the front is a weak spot! lol , my car is part time i believe but im a little pissy n im a carpenter sooo.... so i realize toyotas LSD sux like my handbrake! + cheers 4 your opinion, dude more food for thought!!! next yr when i get my licence bak i plan i zappin around oz!! once again thanks for your opinion matey!

7. unko84

unko84 Active Member

in the rear for a land cruiser they have rear shit lsd, so get a rear locker first and if money isnt tight get a front as well

phs and happy tezza like this.
  8. happy tezza

happy tezza Member

YEP unko84 sounds fair mate!, as far as $$ mate , i'm 50 n after the next 30 odd yrs(if im lucky!) $$ will lose it values!!! ATM hittin the bush(responsible) is the thing that gives me the thumbs up!!! cheers for your thoughts champ! oh n ps im a tight ass so it's hard to part with the $$$ but hey....... 1 chance!

9. red hilux

red hilux Well-Known Member

I'm rear first too.

Your more likely to have the rears on and get through most things that switching the fronts on and off all the time. Especially if your having to steer a lot

komaterpillar and phs like this.
  10. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Yup Toyota rear lsd is average

Rear first

Even with a decent lsd like a patrol I would still do the rear first

happy tezza and komaterpillar like this.
  11. happy tezza

happy tezza Member

so if the rear locker is not engaged the rear end will be an open diff correct?, will that perform noticeably worse than my current LSD?, i think my car is part time.

12. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Chances Are your lsd does not work any better than an open centre, toyo LSDs can wear out from road use as early as 40k old

Alternatively go a locker from uneek 4x4
    There cap locker retains the LSD centre

But yes Elocker rear unlocked is an open diff
    Honestly can say it bothered me in my previous 4wds

happy tezza likes this.
  13. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Patrols have a good LSD so makes sense to do front but a Toyota not so good so a rear is probably the way to go, you get to maintain full steering

happy tezza likes this.
  14. happy tezza

happy tezza Member

AWESOME INFO FELLAS !! much appreciated!!

15. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

Hey Alby, did I just catch you saying "Toyota not so good"? I'm sure I can use that selective quote somewhere in the future. I'd never dream of using it out of context though. :p

abw and Albynsw like this.
  16. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

That was a typo.....what I meant to say was "Toyota oh so good" :D Must of been the auto correct

phs, oldlux, mikehzz and 1 other person like this.
  17. shaun0

shaun0 Active Member

I ive been thinking it would be great if Harrop made their True Track LSD lockable as well that would be ideal. Have the mechanical gear LSD which doesnt wear out like a clutch type does and be able to lock it as well.

18. Gavo

Gavo 4x4 Earth Contributer

I personally think having lsd and locker in rear a bit of Wank.
    I've got a Toyota, and a Eaton locker. If hill looks even half tough, the 0.34 of a second required to flick switch is not worth still having a lsd IMO.
    What's point in installing lockers if you don't use them. I almost always flick rear in at bottom of any climb that's got some ruts or steps etc.

komaterpillar, Albynsw, bugsy and 4 others like this.
  19. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Maybe it is an advantage having the LSD for road driving in the wet ect.

But I never had any issues

Elocker is a quality item

happy tezza likes this.
  20. 4x4galore

4x4galore New Member

Just recently got rid of my 1998 Prado. Had a Detroit Softlocker in the rear for 250,000km of the 300,000km it had done when sold. Al I can say is that in the 18 years I owned the car, probably a total of 5 times I got a thump out the back from the Detroit, apart from that you wouldn't know there was a locker in the rear until you hit the gnarly stuff, and the beauty is, it's there working all the time. No special servicing required, no compressors, no switches and super tough.
    Also ran a Truetrac in the front, but replaced it with an Elocker after snapping a front CV shaft. The Truetrac will still spin a wheel in the air, just like an open diff.

happy tezza and Albynsw like this.