Dunns Swamp>Capertee>Sofala Trip

unique

Hi All, first time (new member) ... what an awesome forum - congrats to everyone. New to the world of 4WD, got a few mates and after lots of research I'm thinking of doing a trip to (and including) beginning @ Dunn's Swamp then down to Glen Davis and out to Capertee ... will I land that in an afternoon?

Then I was aiming (next day) at heading in from Capertee and across to Sofala. Given it's our first crack, I'm hoping it will not be too tough! Can you guys offer any input in terms of terrain? I'm in the early planning stages and will sort some maps ... but really after a heads up?

So, really looking for entry level stuff .... am I aiming in the right place - do you think??

Appreciate any help/suggestions. Cheers

unique

Thanks, the plan is to head up to Dunns Swamp - do a little canoeing, back via Glen Davis and to Capertee. Not sure of the road quality but hope to be having a beer and dinner in the Capertee pub at a reasonable hour. I'm now thinking I might have bitten off more than I can land in an afternoon ... gotta work Saturday morning?

Then I wanted to head to Turon Gates on Sunday morning and up to Sofala (lunch) after an overnight in Capertee.

I'm sure I'll be wiser after the event, not prepared for too many surprises (just yet). thanks in advance!

MrPoopypants

Hi Unique. Welcome. We did this drive yesterday. Not really a 4wd trip, the road from Capertee to Sofala has been graded and is really just a dirt road with one creek crossing. Turon Gates had quite a few 2wd cars there yesterday. The creek crossing would be a bit iffy if you had 2wd and low clearance. The trip down into the Turon at the Diggings is 4wd and has a few river crossings, quite nice though. We did that loop before heading out to Sofala. Did all you mentioned and a bit more from Blackheath for the day and didn't leave till 11am. Nice day out, though. Have fun. PP

mikehzz

I meant where are you starting from to get to Dunns Swamp, it's a fair way from most places so affects if you've got time to do anything and get back to Capertee. You could do the whole trip in 2wd as I read it so far.

unique

Thanks already guys (Mike/PP), I've left a little info out (sorry). On this occassion I'm coming across from Orange and head out abt 12/12.30 following a job I need to complete. Then it's Bathurst/Ilford and onto Dunns Swamp, a paddle (1hr maybe) then on the road to Glen Davis then across to Capertee for the night (pub). On Sunday morning it's down to Turon Gates and up to Sofala.

Given we are now in daylight savings time ... and I plan to make the trip November we should have pretty long day light. Don't really want to be out there in the night ... much better having a beer/feed at that time!

It is (our) my first trip so I'm happy with a gentle workout, sounds like there are some side tracks if we want to step it up and try more difficult terrain with additional river crossings. For now I'm only looking 'to experience' at a low level and build from what we learn.

Appreciate your support/interest.

unique

I've learnt from life ... if you can't make it work/fit - walk away. Then, come back and turn it on it's head and go at it from the other end! Bingo .... we are coming from Orange, so left @ Bathurst up to Sofala. Head into the bush @ Sofala on Saturday afternoon - down to Turon Gates and out to Capertee ... early to the bar @ the Hotel.

Following breakfast, out to Glen Davis ... Shale Mine site then up to Dunns Swamp. Then we can explore and have our time on the water and finish in Rylestone for a late lunch.

So, have I got the run/format around the right way ... I was keen to land lots of content - which is probably part of my problem. This way, it gives us more time going to Glen Davis and Dunns Swamp for a paddle/look around. Then it's a late afternoon Sunday drive home.

Your thoughts ....

RODEODAVE

I think you have chosen a better route this time around . most of this is on bitumen or dirt road so not really a tough trip .
If you want to get into the shale mine at glen davis you will need to pre book a guided tour.
The area is fenced off and access is only with the tour guide , there is a small fee also .

enjoy

mikehzz

From Sofala to Turon Gates, you either follow the river or go up over Mt Horrible. The river is more scenic so get onto Upper Turon Rd and you come across a T intersection, left crosses the river and right goes to Mt Horrible. Go left. There's maybe a few gates you have to go through that can get a bit confusing as to whether you're allowed, you are. Upper Turon used to be a single lane rocky track, now it's a 2 lane dirt highway. It comes out near Palmers Oakey, turn left for Turon Gates. Easy going but very pretty country.

MrPoopypants

From Sofala to Turon Gates, you either follow the river or go up over Mt Horrible. The river is more scenic so get onto Upper Turon Rd and you come across a T intersection, left crosses the river and right goes to Mt Horrible. Go left. There's maybe a few gates you have to go through that can get a bit confusing as to whether you're allowed, you are. Upper Turon used to be a single lane rocky track, now it's a 2 lane dirt highway. It comes out near Palmers Oakey, turn left for Turon Gates. Easy going but very pretty country.
Hey M,
I know some of the regulars here frequent the Turon Diggings area. According to the DPI records they stock the Turon, but got to say it doesn't look like it would sustain many fish, especially trout. I'm guessing the drought decimated it, but do you know if it used to hold fish?? My son's got me poking about up there hunting for fish with him. Found some nice out of the way spots, but wondering if the Turon improves with more water?? Cheers PP

mikehzz

Hey M,
I know some of the regulars here frequent the Turon Diggings area. According to the DPI records they stock the Turon, but got to say it doesn't look like it would sustain many fish, especially trout. I'm guessing the drought decimated it, but do you know if it used to hold fish?? My son's got me poking about up there hunting for fish with him. Found some nice out of the way spots, but wondering if the Turon improves with more water?? Cheers PP
Sorry mate, I'm no fisherman at all these days. The water level in the Turon is pretty low a lot of the time, I reckon you'd have more luck out closer to Hill End on the Macquarie River because it's always got a lot more water in it. Cheers.

MrPoopypants

Sorry mate, I'm no fisherman at all these days. The water level in the Turon is pretty low a lot of the time, I reckon you'd have more luck out closer to Hill End on the Macquarie River because it's always got a lot more water in it. Cheers.
Ha, my young bloke would thank you! He loves Hill End. Last year we spent a few days at Lake Lyell and up to Hill End mid-week. Apparently locals in the pub and a pool table leave a lasting impression on a 12 year old! :) PP

unique

Thanks guys, we did this run over the past two days. The scenery is sensational - loved the run down to Glen Davis and the rock formations in the valley. Then we headed up to Dunn's Swamp, spectacular ... we need to go the when the kayaks are in town I reckon. First we drove out to Capertee, met a mate and headed in. We managed to jag a cabin @ Turon Gates on the river .... what a beautiful place and the folks there could not be more helpful - big thanks to Sonya, Alex and his wonderful wife (sorry I didn't catch her name). I'll certainly be heading back to Turon Gates, just loving Sofala ... my son (24) has never seen anything like it - ever!

Appreciate the help/suggestions .... I'll have plenty more pretty soon. Cheers