Duel cab back seat storage

Martin69

Hi guys,
Looking for some suggestions for storage in the back seat of my duel cab. Thus far I’ve removed the back seats and been researching ideas but nothing has really stood out. i don’t really wanna spend much money and preferably something I can do myself. I plan on doing a 6 month trip at the start of next year and want to get as much usable space as possible. I have no kids it’s just myself and misses so the back seats aren’t needed at this stage. I saw some people use a cargo barrier for their wagons but haven’t been able to find anything for a duel cab. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

cam04

I’ve seen the dual battery and fridge on one side, and cupboards and drawers on the other made from ply. The battery and fridge in the cab keep the weight in the right spot and free up some good space options for the Ute.

typhoeus

It would be a good idea to check your state regs, as in some places, removing seats requires an engineer and mod plate (changed seating capacity, also changes insurance etc.)

Kippie

I took out the back seats and placed 18 mm plywood base to get a flat surface. Installed the fridge behind the driver seat and dual battery in the centre rear. Compressor on passenger side in the rear. In the foot wells (both sides under the plywood base) I placed 2x60 liter water bladders. The remaining space behind the passenger seat is for clothes and food. They are stored in separate boxes (Bunnings) and strapped down.
The only stuff that goes into the canopy are recovery gear, tools and camping gear. There's still heaps of room left.

Colly18

I must admit that over the years I've regularly removed the rear seat for a big trip to gain extra storage space, then replaced it after the trip. But these days with nanny state government regulations imposing more and more restrictions on us, I'm forced to think twice about doing it. A concern is that items in the second row seat space need to be secure so that they don't fly about and injure front row occupants in case of an accident or emergency stop. A cargo barrier behind the front row seats makes sense. But there's no point if removal of the second row seats is illegal, so as Typhoeus suggest, best check with your state authorities and get their response in writing first.

TimNWVic

I have my back seat permanently folded up, a piece of 6mm ply covered in carpet to give a flat base, then my 50L Waeco strapped on the passenger side. Ratchet strap to the seat belt mounts. If I leave the back window down I can just reach in for beers etc without opening the door (camp kitchen and awning are on passenger side).

I have some plastic containers from Bunnings that fit neatly in the rear footwell space that hold stuff I don't use much, this extends the flat are so I can stack more stuff on top - mostly clothes and bedding.

I very occasionally need the back seat so it's easier if I don't fully remove it, plus if I come across an emergency I can chuck the fridge etc in the canopy and use the seat for stranded Irish backpacker chicks passengers.

dabbler

I've removed the back seat mainly to shift weight to the middle the vehicle.

My fridge which is run as a freezer normally, is behind the passenger seat. It's also deep so I've ditched the fridge slide to save weight and a bit of space. Still easy access and the slide would needed to be angled to get past the door.

Spares, tools, compressor etc are in a variety of plastic tubs & toolboxes and sit behind the driver seat. A 20 litre water jerry sits in the footwell behind the passenger seat.

I haven't used any false floors because it loses the footwell space and I already have anchor points in place. Every
thing except hats and the odd shopping bag is strapped down to these anchor points.

My understanding of Qld law is temporary removal is acceptable as long as seat belts aren't removed and refitting doesn't require special tools.

Colly18

My understanding of Qld law is temporary removal is acceptable as long as seat belts aren't removed and refitting doesn't require special tools.
It's the same in SA. They say temporary removal OK providing no tools or only simple tools are required. But the OP is from NSW and it looks like it could be a different set of rules there?

discomatt

As others have done I have a sheet of ply which the fridge , battery , oven, compressor and some storage for food and kitchen gear all mount onto.
In the old disco toy the seats stay out permanently , the newer one which is the tour and tow 4by I swap out as needed but the 3rd row stay out as they are never needed.
Its a great way to balance out all the extra weight toward the front axel and doing it this way also makes it easy for me to swap between cars

Lost1?

Same. Back seats come out for bigger trips to manage weight distribution and save about 30kg. Tool box, compressor and 2 jerries get strapped down. Then loose stuff like my clothes bag and swag go on top.

I have resisted fitting a roof rack so far. But might need to change that as I cant pick up firewood along the way for over night stops. There is usually limited dead wood in arid places. I'm not one to start chopping into trees in that type of location.

Hi guys,
Looking for some suggestions for storage in the back seat of my duel cab. Thus far I’ve removed the back seats and been researching ideas but nothing has really stood out. i don’t really wanna spend much money and preferably something I can do myself. I plan on doing a 6 month trip at the start of next year and want to get as much usable space as possible. I have no kids it’s just myself and misses so the back seats aren’t needed at this stage. I saw some people use a cargo barrier for their wagons but haven’t been able to find anything for a duel cab. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
In my D Max dual cab, I made a tin box with lift up lids to take a variety of stuff,; removed the rear bench seat but put in a single seat behind the passenger seat, from a kia cerato, fits really well and finished with marine carpet, the box not the seat :rolleyes:.
designed to use the floor planned bolts and holes of the original seat
but agree with the state regs comments, I'm in WA, and got it engineered approved , (just a tick and flick) for peace of mind.

discomatt

Back seats come out for bigger trips to manage weight distribution and save about 30kg
Weight saving is a big bonus when removing seats, I save about 90kg with 2nd and 3rd row removed, most of that in the 3rd row and takes it all off the rear axle loading which is very easily overloaded in any, no sorry, all 4wds when towing

Bru9

Trust me been there done that and it usually ends in a half assed mess making you wish you had a better vehicle. What I did is to actually use the seats to hold down stuff with seat belts and straps, seats are designed to hold heavy passengers, try building a fake floor or cabinet system and see how difficult that is and how the vibrations will eventually do you in. I place heavy stuff like 20l water jerries in foot well area and mount up 2 large laptop bags on rear of two front seats hanging via head rest poles as extra storage. Also added some stainless brackets to the roof handle bolt threads so I could strap some lite stuff up there. Mind you a cargo barrier at front is needed for safety. But imo, meh.... but try putting a barrier in if your not a master fabricator, good luck.
The idea is extra stuff in that area is highly compact and organized, then you still keep the seats which come in handy in awkward times.

TimNWVic

, try building a fake floor or cabinet system and see how difficult that is and how the vibrations will eventually do you in.

My fake floor is literally a single sheet of ply covered in auto carpet. Certainly not difficult. There are a couple of small ply strips under it to pack up the centre section for support, but it mostly sits on the vehicle body, where the seat would normally be (my seat is folded up, not removed).

Some velcro (the hook side) stapled to the ply grabs the carpet on the underbody and holds it all in place. Hasn't moved in about 150,000km. Fridge is ratchet strapped on top which stops it going anywhere anyway. Other stuff is in plastic tubs (I put eye bolts in the front of the seat base as tie down points) or soft bags. Heavy loose stuff goes up front of the canopy, back seat area is reserved for fridge, fresh food, and clean stuff like electronics and clothes.