dualcab 79 woes,how heavy is yours.

dangermouse

Yes I have pretty average setup, standard susp except extra leaf+reset to stop the rear sag,
b.bar/steps/brush bars/steel 100 series rims/285 muds/2nd battery/steel tray/steel 3/4 r.rack/spots.
My tray carries spare wheel/fridge/box of tools/recovery gear and add ball weight of trailer thats pretty much 3300kgs.
Seems ridiculous that my tray is half empty but cant put anymore on it and stay under gvm.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hmm, have seen a few up close and the suspensions seem pretty solid as stock.
Suppose all the bits and pieces add up.

What tray do you have on steel ?
I did a Simmo X with a 79 single cab, solid steel tray, and that was loaded up a bit and didn't seem to sag at all.

Mind you that has nothing to do with GVM and if you're close at 3300kgs, then that's a bit of a bummer, especially as your're nowhere near capacity.
Maybe you need to assess what you have on as accessories, what you take on trips, and negotiate (with yourself) to reduce somewhere ?

dangermouse

Thanks Les, yes i have a steel tray which is actually being replaced via insurance so i have opted to have it made 200mm shorter probably not much saving but it all counts atm. I would have gone for an alloy tray but I have had one before and wasnt really happy with it I find steel much tougher when crawling deep ruts and leaning on things as sometimes happens in the bush.As I tow most days I did found the cruiser sitting down in the rear a little with the spring reset shes good as gold.

Also I think the list of stuff I have posted is pretty standard for most rigs I cant really cull anymore.

Its ok when taking the trailer bush I simply put all the weight in it. And the cruiser would happily go anywhere loaded up to the gunnels just staying under gvm and legal is a priority.

80lover96gxl

Are there further gvm upgrades you can explore to increase your capacity that are relitivly inexpensive to avoid going down the certification path ?

dangermouse

Yeah GVM upgrade has to be on the cards but still low kms and already replaced the clutch so $$$ not there atm.
With the upgraded rear leaves the cruiser will handle being loaded up no problem I just dont have the bit of paper with the $1000 engineers signature.

Albynsw

And not sure about any other upgrade options as most workshop just recommends $3000 worth of suspension.

I had a GVM upgrade done through ultimate suspension and the price was reasonable and the truck handles and rides much better than on stock suspension

muzza22au

I have a GVM upgrade through EFS cruiser rides great but I also have an aluminium tray with nothing on the back except for a tyre and fridge for now.

dangermouse

Muzza, do you know what your truck weighs I'd be interested to know having alloy tray/alloy wheels .
As i have already said if I load the kids and swags in my half empty ute I am borderline too heavy.

muzza22au

Muzza, do you know what your truck weighs I'd be interested to know having alloy tray/alloy wheels .
As i have already said if I load the kids and swags in my half empty ute I am borderline too heavy.
Hey would not have a clue what she weighs, but I dare say it would not be as much as yours. I went alloy tray for the weight reduction to allow me to carry extra load if needed.

RBW52

Dangermouse
I note you have already had to change your clutch.
I am in process of having Toyota replace mine, albeit they are suggesting it will not be under warranty because I have a 3 inch exhaust fitted.
What clutch did you go with, approx. how much $$$, and did you deal with Toyota.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
I note you have already had to change your clutch.
I am in process of having Toyota replace mine, albeit they are suggesting it will not be under warranty because I have a 3 inch exhaust fitted.

So how did Toyota relate premature clutch wear / failure with 3" exhaust ?
Seems to be something totally separate, where an exhaust upgrade should not affect clutch operation ?

Kinda like saying your left brake light globe was blown, so the engine disintegrating you just had isn't our problem :rolleyes: :cool:

smitty_r51

Because the 3" exhaust is causing him to rev the hell of of it for the v8 rumble at every set of lights and dump the clutch :p

Albynsw

That is nonsense about the exhaust voiding clutch warranty regardless of what the clown said
If he said turbo you would understand where he is coming from though

Some dealers dont want to do warranty work, they must make better money from customer paying service work?
My local Tojo dealer has been brilliant with warranty issues even with a heavily modified vehicle with a chip but heard plenty of stories like yours

Try a different dealer if they give you grief

mac_man_luke

Yea i wouldnt take the clutch not being under warranty they are a known issue.

Or pay for a real clutch to be put in eg DCS 1100nm or NPC 1300nm. Will be a waste paying for another stock clutch.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
Because the 3" exhaust is causing him to rev the hell of of it for the v8 rumble at every set of lights and dump the clutch :p

Yes, that would do it !! :D

But agree with the others, @RBW52 I would push Toyota on this and not let them muck you about.
You paid the Toyota tax (of some sort, even second hand), the build a pretty bombproof vehicle in the Landcruiser (except for know issues like @mac_man_luke mentioned with the clutch, rear track debacle etc) so they should come to the party and look after their customers.

dangermouse

Yeah my clutch started slipping on return from camping trip at Capertee, because we'd spent 5 days camping meant I was going to be flat out at work on return, as I work for myself I really couldn't afford to be off the road [dealing with Toyota] so I rang my mech asked how quickly he could arrange a heavy duty clutch , I had one in the truck by the next arvo, $1800,not sure what brand I trust the mech for that decision.
Also we had a bad [very expensive] experience with another late model vehicle and on a technicality refused warranty so as far as I am concerned new vehicle warranty is not worth a pinch of shit.

Les PK Ranger

4x4 Earth Contributer
I agree dangermouse, bought the Ranger new, did the first free service with Ford (which is probably a cursory glance at oil / coolant levels), and they hacked the first 10k service, so never went back.
I was given a 5 year 100k warranty when I purchased, but have never used it.
Had a dodgy transfer case output shaft (ok, busted it on the tracks, but it went before a cv !!) and just had it replaced myself, wasn't going to go through the BS with a dealer.
Only other little thing was a torsion bar mount, one side broke on me once, on the tracks so didn't fuss even though it must have been weak, you just can't argue those things.
That's about it really, no other problems to speak of.