Dual pupossed deep cycle battery

Komang

Hi guys
I will order new second batteries
One for the car (aux batteries) and the other fir the box
As it can fit only max 80AH batteries so it will be 160AH if I connected it pararel to gather.
My question is
Is it dual purpossed deep cycle will run my portable winch ?
As iam reading normal deep cycle not suitable for winching.
Thankyou.

Batts88

I've had a few Supercharge allrounders over the yrs they're dual purpose good for winching, running a fridge etc they have a high voltage similar to an agm.

Triton14

Hi guys
I will order new second batteries
One for the car (aux batteries) and the other fir the box
As it can fit only max 80AH batteries so it will be 160AH if I connected it pararel to gather.
My question is
Is it dual purpossed deep cycle will run my portable winch ?
As iam reading normal deep cycle not suitable for winching.
Thankyou.
I dont know why it wouldnt?

My main starter is a dual purpose Optima AGM designed for under bonnet, the other a 140Ah AGM which I can can combine when winching.

The only thing is I wouldnt really call it in parallel??

I might be wrong but you would normally connect the batteries via an isolator or even DC-DC charger via a switch, so not really in parallel as such.

Like I said, unless I am mistaken?

Komang

Thanks for the replay guys
@Batts88 yes Iam looking at it too.
@Triton14 mine didnt came with dcdc charger just isolator.
Pararel for the aux battery + battery Box to power the winch (with cut out manual isolator from the main) as per what I read powering winch with aux batteries will demage the isolator because the winch will drawn more than isolator it self can handle to pull more amp from main.

Batts88

99% of the time just running your winch of a decent size starter battery will do the job no need to link them but it seems to be a trend these days maybe due to inexperience or everyone says you need it can't go 4wdriving without it not sure. If your stuck in a hard place use a snatch block to reduce load turn spotties off at night idle the vehicle up when winching and leave it up so when you stop winching it helps put some power into the battery. Most old vehicles had a simple but effective idle screw or pull out lever. Buy a winch to suit your vehicle people use to get by fine with an 8,000Lb or 9,000Lb on large 4wd's as well and use snatch blocks more often but now most want a 12,000Lb so they do single line recoveries because they're in a hurry to go know where fast then end up with a drained battery. Take you time do it right no battery issues.

Triton14

99% of the time just running your winch of a decent size starter battery will do the job no need to link them but it seems to be a trend these days maybe due to inexperience or everyone says you need it can't go 4wdriving without it not sure. If your stuck in a hard place use a snatch block to reduce load turn spotties off at night idle the vehicle up when winching and leave it up so when you stop winching it helps put some power into the battery. Most old vehicles had a simple but effective idle screw or pull out lever. Buy a winch to suit your vehicle people use to get by fine with an 8,000Lb or 9,000Lb on large 4wd's as well and use snatch blocks more often but now most want a 12,000Lb so they do single line recoveries because they're in a hurry to go know where fast then end up with a drained battery. Take you time do it right no battery issues.
And I would say most people that have 12000lb winches on their 4x4's have them on bars that aren't even rated that high either but it sounds good around the camp fire, mines bigget than yours scenario :D

Petunia

Thanks for the replay guys
yes Iam looking at it too.
mine didnt came with dcdc charger just isolator.
Pararel for the aux battery + battery Box to power the winch (with cut out manual isolator from the main) as per what I read powering winch with aux batteries will demage the isolator because the winch will drawn more than isolator it self can handle to pull more amp from main.
Cranking batteries supply a Burst of High Power for a Short time
AGM etc supply Low Power for a Long time
Dual purpose [depending on manufacturer] Theoretically supply both High Power Bursts and Length of Low Power.

Parallel = + to + ... - to - connected permanent or interrupted [forget dc/dc chargers, they are a separate animal]
Series = + to - .....

A winch ''MAY" draw lots [2,3,4,500?] of amps under load, suitable size the isolation method to avoid tears. And, 2 dual purpose batteries ''should'' or ''could'' run a winch, with suitable access to charging?

Correct size of wiring is also needed !

Petunia

Connecting 2 batteries one starts with twice the capacity [2 buckets of pixies to tip out] Then its up to the alternator to; A, keep up, or B; cack itself.
Scenario: winching draws 200amp or more, no alternator will keep up, a winch is equal or greater than a starter motor, you can't crank for a long time until heat or depleted battery stops the party.
So you have 200 anry pixies being tipped out your bucket, you replace it with 150 angry pixies, you are 50 pixies behind.
Lets start with two buckets 400 pixies, and tip out 200 pixies, and put back 150[really good alternator] you are still behind by 50 pixies, but you have more pixies left to play with in the same time.

Yes slow down, take care, you don't need rush to your grave, you can do anything in time. Sadly people rush rush rush everywhere. I don't!:cool:

Batts88

Not sure what pixies have to do with it may be a sprinkle of fairy dust will help haha. Just my opinion from over 30yrs of eperience with winches most recoveries don't take very long probably only running the winch for 5-15 minutes which won't worry a good battery if you do the recovery correctly, minimising load use a snatch block especially in rough areas if possible. No you can't expect a standard alternator to keep up so further reduce the load turn off accessories if winching especially for extended times. Also be pepared to wait for 10 or 15 minutes for example to help the battery recover enough to continue there are countless scenarious.

RBJET

My winch runs off the factory Ford battery without issue so any aftermarket battery of similar or better specs will be fine (if it's being charged by the alternator while in use).
If you intend on running it off your rear battery, make sure that battery is being charged by your alternator at the same time.

Komang

Thanks guys for the info.
Mine with aux and box for portable winch wich will attached to tow bar as my front bar dont have any winch placement for it.
This setup will probably be used when we go out litter bit far where we should go (just incase we need something to pull us )

Petunia

Mine with aux and box for portable winch wich will attached to tow bar as my front bar dont have any winch placement for it.
This setup will probably be used when we go out litter bit far where we should go (just incase we need something to pull us )

What [2] batteries do you intend to use for your auxiliary, if you have a preference at the present?

Komang

What [2] batteries do you intend to use for your auxiliary, if you have a preference at the present?
At the moment the ranger with original aux battery box at rear tub with fomoco dual purpose battery 80AH in it (5 yrs)
The second box (plastic) 45AH use it around the house to run garden light (will carry this if we go out with the portable winch)
Have ask ford about it and cost around $450 for one.
Probably supercharge or SSB bit cheaper hopefully get less than 600 for 2 :)

Last edited:

Komang

My winch runs off the factory Ford battery without issue so any aftermarket battery of similar or better specs will be fine (if it's being charged by the alternator while in use).
If you intend on running it off your rear battery, make sure that battery is being charged by your alternator at the same time.
As I mention the isolator only capable pass 100Amp (as per isolator spec)
The isolator would not capable pass more than it spec that why I will put cut out isolator if we need run the winch to cut out the suplay from the main and run it through the aux in the tub pararel with battery box
Thanks

Petunia

At the moment the ranger with original aux battery box at rear tub with fomoco dual purpose battery 80AH in it (5 yrs)
The second box (plastic) 45AH use it around the house to run garden light (will carry this if we go out with the portable winch)
Have ask ford about it and cost around $450 for one.
Probably supercharge or SSB bit cheaper hopefully get less than 600 for 2 :)
Both the supercharge and ssb appear to suit your application? One states it is superior to the other/s? However, the batteries no matter what you chose are going to need charging access while you winch, parallel connection of same does need to be of a suitable size to handle draw and that is going to be big cable and connections and all associated bits/pieces. As big as the winch cables, if not slightly bigger.:cool:

Batts88

What happens if you can't get at the tow bar do you have a backup like a hand winch etc.

discomatt

I considered a potable winch years ago and decided against it.
Think about when you will need a winch, steep, slippery, muddy, big rocks and ledges.
Now picture yourself getting said winch and cradle from its spot in the car then attaching it....
In theory yes, in practice bugger that

Komang

I considered a potable winch years ago and decided against it.
Think about when you will need a winch, steep, slippery, muddy, big rocks and ledges.
Now picture yourself getting said winch and cradle from its spot in the car then attaching it....
In theory yes, in practice bugger that
Yes it will be a hussle put it in or out
But dont want to have replace my bull bar with winch compatible
So the only option in my case if i want a winch only portable ones (beter have it than nothing when you need it)
As casual 4x4 probably my best option and the spare battery box will be handy around the house with solar panel attached to it and go camping with grand kids too
Thanks