Dual Fuel or Diesel

Patriot

Administrator
Hey Guys,

If given the choice between a truck with Dual Fuel or Diesel, what would you go with?

Diesel engines last longer in general don't they but LPG is a lot cheaper for getting around.

Is it a big deal or much of a muchness?

Cheers,

James

Pure Yobbo

Hi Mate,

I would go the diesel, They tend not to konk out going up steep hills. or when things get out of level. But that opens another whole can of worms as petrols are alot better now that injection has been introduced.

If you are only going to use it on weekends is the price of fuel really an issue?

Cheers

Patriot

Administrator
Hey guys,

Thinking that if it is cheaper to run, we can drive it to far off exotic locations for go offroad.

Still looking at XJ's but also looking at Patrols. Still undecided.

Thanks for the info.

James

tiny

i will only buy diesels for the simple reason if if i get low on fuel i can role into a property/station and get some fuel
gas is not so easy alot of propertys carry petrol as well but they mainly use diesel plus the petrol will degrade on a property quicker than diesel will

on the other hand my best mate just bought a 200series in petrol as the difference in cost between the 2 he will never make up

tiny

The diesel troopy I used to have got 18mpg ... the petrol XJ gets 25mpg ... That makes the petrol more economical ... :eek: ( All depends on how you look at it ;) Most of the newer Jap vehicles are no better on fuel than the old 4.0l petrol. If the consumption rates are the similiar, then diesel per litre costs come into play.

And who said buying a new car is fun ..... :D:D

but ive seen how much stuff you put in the xj with all the extra space the troopy had you would have been carring 4 or 5 tonne more gear :D:D:D:D

muddy

finally somthing i know about 4wd i think there's a new gas system for diesels, this system runs by evapurating lpg into injectors the diesel is the energy that provides the ignition and the 30%gas helps the diesel burn to 98% instead of the usual 70% or so thus eliminating the black smoke and giving 25% more power.for example if you burn 10L of diesel every 100km, and you convert to d-gas you will use 7L to 100km and 3L of lpg to that same 100km. i travel 300km per day and when i crunched the numbers it was not practical becouse i cant get the $3000 fed/state gov. rebate if my car was registered privately i would have instaled it for $4500 plus utes with tubs and wagons need mufler mods.

muddy

most important the gas tank only needs to be 30% of your regular diesel tank so it wont stuf your ground clearance up, oh and if you run out of gas you can still keep driving on your diesel tank, this is very good couse you cant carry gas in a can. if you go to remote places where gas is not available

Patriot

Administrator
The fuel is just one of the many variables to wrestle with when buying a truck.

Thanks for the info on the LPG/Diesel. I saw one a couple of days ago and didn't look much further becuase it sounded a bit weird.

James

LowLux

Deisel Gas I reckon. Power is there, reliablility is there, longevity is there etc etc etc. New tech diesels are very good on economy. An example of this is the Prado.

tiny

4 or 5 tonne of gear ... pfffft.

would never have been more than 3 tonne ... even with the 3300x1500 roofrack full.

Learnt how to pack that JK yet ????? ..... :D:D:D:D:D

yep roof off then duct tape and occy straps and just keep going up ;)

Keith

I'd buy a used petrol, but not a used Diesel because servicing is critical for Diesels. Could end up very expensive.

trj6911

yeah depends were you are going if you need fuel 1000 miles from a fuel station ,trucks will sell you some for some cash and most farms run diesel ...for me diesal the way to go turboed pull all day long ...

phs

dunno about the gas and petrol motors seem to need more fixing when 4x4ing...
+ the guys iv been with gas tend to run out very quick, i remeber once my guage had bearly mover off full and he was nearly out

Jarh73

Something to consider going to dual fuel.

Unless things have changed if you put a GU patrol on gas you loose the main petrol tank and only have the sub tank. Meaning if there is no gas available you have limited milage on petrol.

If you put a pre 200 Series Landcruiser on gas you still have the full petrol tank PLUS the gas tank best of both worlds.

Just requires a rear wheel carrier but that is easy.

My pathfinder has dual fuel and on petrol highway km at least 500km to a tank and then at least 325 on gas giving a cruising range over over 800km.

There is the issue of the spare tyre with a pathfinder but thats another story.

Something to keep in mind anyway.

Cheers

Justin

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Diesel/Gas is meant to good. My Sister-in-law brother installs them in Newcastle and was telling me the cost and fuel returns. If I had a diesel I would add the gas because of the running cost would pay itself off in less than 2 years on a 20,000KM/year. Many companies say can do the conversion but less than 50% do it correctly and that was from some mechanic friends.

Grey Ghost

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
From what I've read (it was an article in one of the caravanning mags I think) Diesel on Gas DOESN'T add extra power to your rig, all it does is extend your range by replacing some of the diesel in each cycle with a portion of gas and thereby using less. I recall that they did a few mileage tests which showed no power increase in duel fuel rigs but longer range, which could be useful but wouldn't tempt me to go that way.

Pure Yobbo

4.2 Petrol or 4.2 Diesel

Hi All,

Been pondering Petrol or Diesel (Not worried about LPG) wondering what everyone thinks?