Dual battery on Colorado 7

Tink

Definitely recommended if running a fridge. Alternator will power a fridge whilst driving but you will need an auxillary if running a fridge for more than a few hours when parked up or at camp. Probably not needed for just some LED lights and you can get good battery powered versions of camp lights. For a compressor you generally need to have the engine running anyway, so could just use the cranking battery.
You have the choice of a permanent installation either under the bonnet or in the rear cargo area. Not sure on the Collies as to who makes a battery tray for under the bonnet but TJM and Piranha make them for the Isuzus. Or go with a Thumper or KickAss battery box which is portable and you can take out of the rear when not needed or move around whilst camping.
Tink

with the "trailblazer" just call it a Colorado 7, the trailblazer sold in other countries was marketed here in Australia as the Colorado 7 holden just added the trailblazer decal in australia to try and spruce up the Colorado 7( just a sales thing ).
when looking for addons for the trailblazer just look for Colorado 7, when it comes to the engine bay and front end the ute and 7 are the same.

piranha make a tray that will fit the ute and 7, it involves moving the computer over a bit and installing a tray.
http://www.piranhaoffroad.com.au/product/battery-tray/index/index/make/holden

it is really easy to do and wouldn't take more than about an hour to fit.
it is a very tight fit and its pretty much made to have an optima d34 yellowtop battery.

I use a redarc bcdc charger to charge mine.
https://www.redarc.com.au/battery-chargers/in-vehicle-chargers
the redarc can be setup to also take solar input so when the vehicle is not running the battery can charge off solar panels.
this setup runs my waeco cfx65 without a problem when parked up for the day using a waeco 120w solar kit to keep it topped up for the night.

if you do use a batterybox inside the vehicle make sure it is vented to the outside of the vehicle or use a battery that does not produce hydrogen gas while it is charging

here are some pics of mine

with the "trailblazer" just call it a Colorado 7, the trailblazer sold in other countries was marketed here in Australia as the Colorado 7 holden just added the trailblazer decal in australia to try and spruce up the Colorado 7( just a sales thing ).
when looking for addons for the trailblazer just look for Colorado 7, when it comes to the engine bay and front end the ute and 7 are the same.

piranha make a tray that will fit the ute and 7, it involves moving the computer over a bit and installing a tray.
http://www.piranhaoffroad.com.au/product/battery-tray/index/index/make/holden

it is really easy to do and wouldn't take more than about an hour to fit.
it is a very tight fit and its pretty much made to have an optima d34 yellowtop battery.

I use a redarc bcdc charger to charge mine.
https://www.redarc.com.au/battery-chargers/in-vehicle-chargers
the redarc can be setup to also take solar input so when the vehicle is not running the battery can charge off solar panels.
this setup runs my waeco cfx65 without a problem when parked up for the day using a waeco 120w solar kit to keep it topped up for the night.

if you do use a batterybox inside the vehicle make sure it is vented to the outside of the vehicle or use a battery that does not produce hydrogen gas while it is charging

here are some pics of mine

wow.. it is tight!

You also put in diff breathers? Which brand? Did you add them because the standard ones were not good enough?

SPOD_Here

Hmm very tight in there! Do you have any trouble with heat on the bcdc? I've heard they cut output ( a lot) if they get too hot. Packed in like this would have to be warm don't you think? Nothing worse then can't change batteries when in the desert or top end because the changer has throttled back,

catch can and egr blank too lol, I cant remember the brand of the breathers they are pretty universal.
the standard breathers are all about knee height gearbox, front/rear diff and transfer I also have one on the fuel tank in the rear as that's pretty low too.
they would be better if they were run into the airbox then they would be at the height of my snorkel but that's a project for another day.

the redarc specs say its happy running between -20 upto 80 deg, mine has been fine.
I have never heard about cutout issues with heat but if you were worried you could put it up the front more for better airflow, I have found it to be really solid and well worth the price and its Australian made.
not sure how the cheaper Chinese ones would go, I wouldn't buy one.

SPOD_Here

Not looking to ignite the dc/dc debate but there is a bit more to the temperature rating on these. They may be rated to 80c meaning they will survive the temperature. Quoting from ad arc site however, The BCDC1225 will work at full capacity up to 55C ambient. Above that it will de-rate its output as temperature increases such that at 85C, it will cut back to no charge at all.

One of the guys in our group had this exact thing on the Kimberlys trip, couldn't figure out why the bats wouldn't charge despite the unit testing ok with a meter. Turned out the charger was de-rating it's output due to excessive heat at the dcdc. Worth thinking about this aspect of the installation when the engine bay packed like in modern cars.

I have had this redarc unit for 4 years now it started in a prado and it has worked fine on many trips in the summer.
was his charger a redarc and was it taken and tested to make sure the unit its self was not faulty.
the next trip I do I will keep a voltage meter on the 2nd battery and monitor it on the dash.

a lot of people are die hard isolator fans and dislike the in vehicle chargers that's where the debate comes from but these people don't understand that newer vehicles have alternators that are controlled by the ecu and they switch off.
I am not sure if the Colorado has this type of alternator I just used the old kit I removed from the prado because it worked.
I guess if you are worried about this type of issue you can install the redarc inside the cab of the vehicle, it will operate perfectly at about 1.5 meters away from the batteries.

amad

so I've just bought a trailblazer also. This might cost more to begin with but has anyone considered swapping out the extremely large battery for a smaller similar specd battery to give extra room beside for the 2nd 1 so it doesn't end up tucked up against the firewall

you could probably swap out the main battery with a smaller one but you would want to make sure you get the same cca/ah you would also need to make a custom battery tray for the second battery or modify the piranha one.
I am not sure how you would go with warranty repairs if you use the wrong main/starter battery and have electrical/starting issues.
but you could still do it imo

Lewy_88

you could probably swap out the main battery with a smaller one but you would want to make sure you get the same cca/ah you would also need to make a custom battery tray for the second battery or modify the piranha one.
I am not sure how you would go with warranty repairs if you use the wrong main/starter battery and have electrical/starting issues.
but you could still do it imo
Hey mate,
Those pics look great. I also have a querstion about the breathers. Where the hell are they??? I have a had a bit of a look around underneath and really struggle to find their locations. Do you have any links to instructions or guides as to where they are located?

Cheers,
Lewy

Last edited: